Notifications
Clear all

S&N No-Sting Skin Prep Spray problems

15 Posts
5 Users
8 Likes
(@jdanh)
Topic starter  

Hey all - I have an ongoing love/hate relationship with this Smith & Nephew product. In my experience it has incredible adhesive and staying capabilities, but ONLY if the spray bottle is not gummed up by product!

Last year I opened a quality issue complaint with them but got a total runaround and no answers.

Since I have done everything possible to reduce the risk of the spray bottle spewing product in every direction except the area the nozzle is aimed at, I am wondering if anyone has found a better sprayer bottle that one could pour the skin prep solution into and that has better build quality?

My process is after every time I use the product I rinse everything in warm water and wipe down the nozzle and attach the cover. Next usage involves running warm/hot water over the nozzle and doing a couple of test sprays. But 85% of the time when I am ready to apply the product (I often do crusting), I might get one decent spray and next thing you know it's seeping out of the housing area or through the nozzle but not in a mist at all but in squirting bursts all over the place! It's frustrating and messy,  and I communicated this to the manufacturer but they had nothing to say really.

I'm throwing this out here to see if anyone has any experience like mine and how they dealt with it. I'm basically switched over to ConvaTek Silesse, which works more consistently but I feel isn't quite as `sticky' or dries as quickly as the S&N spray.

Thanks!

Dan

1666798772-SN-Skin-Prep.jpg

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

That sounds frustrating!

It seems like it's the product causing the clogs and not poor quality spray bottles, but I wonder if there's a higher quality cosmetic spray bottle that would handle that kind of fluid a little better.

My process is after every time I use the product I rinse everything in warm water and wipe down the nozzle and attach the cover. Next usage involves running warm/hot water over the nozzle and doing a couple of test sprays.

Have you ever tried running warm water through the sprayer before using it to spray the skin prep?

I guess the idea is to unclog/loosen anything inside the tubing and sprayer right before use. You could very easily do this with a small cup of water, then remove the sprayer from the cup and give it a few pumps to get the water out before returning it to the original bottle.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi, I ain’t got any experience of this product but! When finished hold up side down and pump out what’s in the tube. I know this works for spray paint cans. Maybe worth a try! 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jdanh)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy I'll try anything once! Another suggestion I also forgot to mention is sticking a pin into the nozzle but I think that might screw up the misting that's supposed to occur when pumping the mister. You are right the product is what is gumming things up but what irritates me is that they don't even acknowledge that the issue even exists, therefore no tips and tricks from the manufacturer. Next time I change I will give your purging suggestion a try and let you know! Thanks

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jdanh)
Topic starter  

@john68 Hi there - thanks for this. I did try that trick once, but gravity actually made the problem worse. I think the key here is to clear the path or find a more robust mister; something with metal parts where it counts.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @jdanh

what irritates me is that they don't even acknowledge that the issue even exists, therefore no tips and tricks from the manufacturer.

This is the worst part. They have a good product that's difficult/frustrating to use because of the container it's in! Surely their bottle manufacturer would have some ideas, too.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)

Does S&N come in individual wipes? I haven’t used them in awhile, but I seem to remember that they did. I use Brava skin barrier wipes, but I understand that when you find a product you like, you don’t want to try something else. Good luck.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
(@jdanh)
Topic starter  

@tigerlily Hi there - yes they do have the wipes, but for me the wipes don't seem to work as well for "crusting" procedure which I often have to do because I have lots of irritation problems with my output. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)

@jdanh Okay; I understand. Maybe you need to find a good quality spray bottle, like Eric suggested. I know of two online companies in Ontario that might have something - they have good quality products and they will ship to you. Try www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca in Mississauga and www.saffireblue.ca in Woodstock. Hope you can find something that works.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
(@jdanh)
Topic starter  

@tigerlily Awesome - thanks for the info! I am also looking at Amazon - though with a high degree of caution given where much of this type of item is manufactured and build quality will likely be a concern. Seems to be a lot of items for essential oil misting which would suggest to me would need a slightly more robust construction.

Cheers!

Dan H.

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)

@jdanh while I have been happy with products I have bought from both of these companies, I have never bought packaging, so I can’t comment one way or the other on them. It might be worth it to contact them to explain your situation and ask questions. For example, is an atomizer, no matter how good the quality, likely to be gummed up because of the stickiness of the fluid? Would a pump soap dispenser work better? 

Laurie

Just a semicolon

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jdanh)
Topic starter  

@tigerlily Yes - I was going to describe the current issue including the type of liquid and current packaging etc. and ask if they have any suggestions for a long-term solution. These days, I am also quite sensitive to all the plastics we are using and try to minimize consumption as much as possible.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dogtalkerer)

VO has the right idea.  But  pump water after each use and you'll keep pump mechanism free from adhesive clogging.

ReplyQuote
(@jdanh)
Topic starter  

@dogtalkerer Yes I don't disagree this is probably the correct long-term "solution" to reduce this problem - I just think we shouldn't have to do all this extra work because they use such cheap sprayers. I'd rather find one that works better that requires less maintenance.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dogtalkerer)

yes, in a perfect world, everything works perfectly.   40yrs ago i worked with spray foam equipment, the very expenisve spray nozzles would clog up.  40 yrs later I'm talking with a spray foam guy and we talked about how the nozzles still clog up.       its hard to have glue only work when you want it to.

VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote