Clear all

Sagging/Shifting Flange

8 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
(@jeffdaily)
Topic starter  

Hello there!

Brand new ostomate here, surgery was literally 5 weeks ago today. I'm noticing something weird happening with my flange. It seems that over a few days, the bottom adhesive section is becoming smaller when it should be the same size as the top. Almost as if the flange is slowly shifting down my body. The top is approximately one index finger width wide, and the bottom is now less than half a finger wide. It's not leaking, but on the oval shape flange, the adhesive padding is symmetrical with top and bottom being the same size and both sides as well. However in the 3 days this one has been on me, I can hardly even feel the bottom and there are ripples on the sides.

I am currently using a beige coloplast 2 piece system with a Brava protective ring. (I'm sorry I don't know the exact model name, but i know it's not the grey Sensura Mio model because I also have that to try.)

I know it's still early, and I have lots to learn and more products to try before I find the right one for me. This was just something I noticed happening on me and wanted to know if it happened to anyone else and if there is anyway to avoid this.

Cheers!

(@bubbles)

I don't understand . Trying to picture what you are describing. Can you post a pic ? Maybe as you heal the tummy swelling is going down causing the shrinking. Just guessing with out a photo. 

Be well, Bubbles 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hey JeffDaily. Welcome to the forums. 

If I understand the problem correctly, it seems as if there's friction or perhaps your pant beltline that's causing the bottom of your wafer to change shape. Is this accurate?

If so, it's happened to me with certain appliances - really annoying, but it hasn't caused any appliance failures and only seems to happen with specific products (especially thicker wafers like Coloplast). 

Where does the bottom of your appliance sit compared to the top portion of your pants? This may shed some clues. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@jeffdaily)
Topic starter  

This would make sense. Although I haven't worn anything other than light athletic shorts for the last 3 months, my most comfortable belt line rests right on top of of the bottom part of the flange.

The stoma nurse did say I can stop using the protective ring all the time once the swelling goes down, so maybe that will help as well.

Thanks for the insight!

ReplyQuote
(@jeffdaily)
Topic starter  

Unfortunately I've already changed and disposed of the appliance. It was nearing time to do so anyways and it was just before bed that I noticed this and was feeling anxious that it would spring a leak while I slept.

ReplyQuote
(@jeffdaily)
Topic starter  

Just to add some clarity, it's as if the pants have pushed the bottom adhesive part of the flange UP rather than it sliding down.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi JeffDaily, If the problem with the bottom of the flange is as Eric suspects would using a tape border on the bottom continue the wafer passed where the pants meet and stop the interference.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: JeffDaily

Just to add some clarity, it's as if the pants have pushed the bottom adhesive part of the flange UP rather than it sliding down.

Yup, I've had that happen before. It never caused any appliance failures, but it was annoying and I would sometimes have adhesive stuck to the inside of my waistband. 

You can try a wafer extender on the bottom part of your wafer or some kind of medical tape. Let us know if you do. If you don't already have wafer extenders you can often request samples from the manufacturer (pretty much all ostomy bag manufacturers make wafer extenders.) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote