Notifications
Clear all

Ostomy belt for curvy women?

10 Posts
8 Users
12 Likes
(@lisaj)
Topic starter  

I love this site. It’s real instead of all the manufacturer hype that tells me my life will be the same- it’s not! I had my surgery 7 weeks ago and tomorrow I  go back to a very active job, like it or not. Here is my question and sorry if this has been addressed:

I bought an awestomy wrap (cut off circulation even in larger size) and a stealth belt. I am petite with bony hips and everything rides up to my ribs and it’s very uncomfortable. Also, even though the waist size itself fits, the stealth belt seems enormous on a petite person. Do any smallish curvy woman have suggestions? It is too uncomfortable to not have anything supporting the bag. 

Dona reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hi Lisaj! 

Welcome to the forums!

I'm hoping other women will be able to chime in, but perhaps you can share the following so we have more information:

- Where is your stoma? At the belt line? Above or below? 

- Are you wearing a small, medium, or large ostomy bag? 

- Are you looking for something that would allow you to wear your bag under your clothing (i.e. under your pants); above your belt line; or with your bag hanging over your pants? 

I know a lot of women here love maternity pants, although I'm not sure if they would work for your requirements. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 and Dona reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Lisaj, Welcome to the site, A lot of these type of aids do add quite a bit of bulk, Take a look at some of the ostomy underwear for woman, some of them have an inner pocket that would hold the bag. Plus have a look round Erics piece on dressing with an ostomy. As Eric points out where the stoma is will have an effect.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Lisaj and Dona reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hello LisaJ and welcome.

You are right to accept the fact that things have changed.  Good to address clothing issues.

I also tried the ostomy wrap and steath belt. I found them both awkward and uncomfortable.

As Eric said above.. it will depend on where your stoma is situated. But I think the fewer specialized things you have to use the better.

The Ostomy Secrets underwear has been a big help to some. ( John 68 mentioned it in the last post).  They are very expensive as underwear goes, but some people love them . I just started using high waisted panties, the lightweight ones with no seams. Bali and many other companies make them. They have a wide comfortable  waist band.  I wear my bag underneath my underwear.

The second thing I do to provide support ;  I wear skirts or pants that are knit or have a knitted waistband. Some of these fold-over so you can easily adjust where they go and how much pressure they put on your stoma. 

I have also bought ( but not yet used) belly bands..as pregnant women sometimes wear ( inexpensive..from Amazon) They are like a giant head band, and come in different sizes.

If your stoma is above your waist ... some of these things my not work as well. Let us know and maybe others will have more advise.

After three years, my life is pretty much back to the new normal and you will get there too.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bubbles)

Google Ostomy Secrect underwear. They have a inner pouch that supports bag . Wonderful panties I wear them . Can't live without them . There is always a 25 percent off code if you can't find code call them . 

john68 and Dona reacted
ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)

Hi Lisaj,

I have a fairly active job as well.  I don't go to work without my wrap, I'm using the Ostomysecrets unisex wrap.  It offers some protection, and lots of support.  I don't feel the least bit uncomfortable bending, squatting, reaching or stretching with it on.  I don't know if it'll work for your situation, but I thought I'd throw it out there. 

Seven weeks out, I'd still try to ease your way into things.  When I was at about that point I realized my abs still needed to mend a little. I over stretched them not thinking anything about it, and it nearly doubled me over.  Colon surgery takes some time to recover from, be patient and you'll get closer to normal than you think you could. 

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi Lisaj, and welcome to our world - "the new normal"as Dona said.

I am not sure that I can help with some of your issues, because even though I am petite, I am far from curvy! However, as you are only seven weeks from your surgery, you may want to wait to use anything that may press up against your stoma as it may cause pancaking and you are still healing. I found that looser clothes worked best for me. It's been three months since my surgery, and I have finally started looking into a stoma guard, which I hope will allow me to wear more form fitting clothes as well as protect my stoma when I am out working in the yard, etc. Check out Eric's reviews on stoma guards, but maybe you should wait to order one as it does take eight weeks for the stoma and intestines to heal. Sasquatch is right in telling you to take it easy.

Wishing you all the best,

Stella

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lisaj)
Topic starter  

Thanks to you and everyone for the great info! This was an emergency surgery while on vacation so the shock is just now wearing off.

My stoma is above my belt and I love to wear the bag sideways (which makes the stealthbelt good but it’s just so bulky). My pouch is about an inch or two above high waisted underwear. I hardly ever wear a skirt or dress because Of my job.

The pouch is a Hollister medium size I guess. I started out with it tucked into my pants but had a complete blowout- I tend to wear skinny jeans but not anymore! I get major leaks every week because everything is so sudden I can’t get to a place to change my bag fast enough.  Things are very unpredictable still and each day it’s either nothing happening for 30 hours or 45 minutes in the loo making sure my bag doesn’t get too full. 

2 things that kind of work but not really- a tape wrap and the awestomy secrets lace wrap but nothing holds it together when absolutely necessary. Maybe the awestomy secrets curvy wrap is worth a try- I just hate to spend more money on something that strangles me. 

Thanks again for everyone’s help- this is the first place I’ve had people who understand.

ReplyQuote
(@lisaj)
Topic starter  

Great suggestions- I’m intrigued with the belly band which a friend thought of too. I really need to wear it over my pants as things happen so fast and prolifically!

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Lisaj, At the very start this can all seem very overwhelming! but believe me it does fall into place and become second nature. Caring for a stoma is very thing from skin care to what and when we eat. The site contains examples of all this and even more. Like all the Ladies you like skinny jeans so take a look at an interview Eric did with a girl called Sophie, she is an ostomate and as a result of her own needs has now her own clothing line. Plus it will give you a great example of a young trendy Lady!! Their are lots of examples of nice underwear as well. You don,t have to compromise just adapt :-) 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Lisaj reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hi LisaJ...I have been following this thread a bit.  I understand.  First, let me congratulate you for surviving the assault on you body from the surgery and what ever happened to cause the results. You were on Vacation! Darn bodies, they never cease to impress me with what they can throw at us and what we can survive. You are tough to be going back to work so soon. Please do not push yourself too hard. Protect that stoma, even in the car. If lifting, look into stoma gaurds. I had a lot of trouble finding clothes to fit after my stoma. I looked pregnant from my gut  problems. I felt that my stoma was in an awkward height and none of my clothing fit right ever again. I  carry a tape measure with me when I shop, and my just taken measurements , and the height that I need for the rise of my pants. I need to purchase pants with an 18" ride from the crotch center to above my stoma. Ladies stores carry this fit of clothing. No more Walmart for me...except for tops maybe. It annoys me to know end that I can not wear my skinny jeans anymore. I loved them. Now, I wear an elastic waist band, with that 18" rise. I never buy a pair of pants without my tape measure in hand. I wear my bag on an angle tipping to my left side because my leg always gets jabbed by the roll up on my bag. Hollister 8331.  I have ruined countless underpants because of the roll up. I wear those spaghetti strap snuggish elastic tops, the longer, the better, to hold my bag close to me or it does feel like a wild card under my clothes.  All of my tops are now worn over my pants instead of tucked in and they have a bit of a ruffle or pleat to them to allow for disguising  my bag area. I want to thank  Sasquatch, Marcie and Dona and Bubbles. I had not thought underwear would make any difference until I checked out all the sights for them and will be ordering some in the future, but they are expensive. In the mean time, I managed to find a store that brought in "pantyloons" of all things. They are an underwear that I wear on top of my underwear and they have a  length that goes to just above my knees. They are snug and hold my bag close to me , but the other thing they do is  replace pantyhose!  Instead, I wear knee highs or thigh highs. I wear TH's mostly when I need nylons, they do not slip down if you buy a more expensive brand, the PLs, because of the summer heat and humidity I live in, helps stop that sticky thigh feeling in summer. I wear a lot of skirts and the PL's are great even when barefoot or under pants. Allow me to ask, are you using the "Osto E Z Vent" for when gas builds up in the bag? We recently had a chat about this vent and I'm in love with it! Quick and easy to use and I do enjoy my craft time putting it on the bag! This vent has made a difference in nights as I do not have to wake fully to let out the gas, hand sanitizer, I do not have to get up. I hope this has helped. Stay healthy and welcome!

Linda

Lisaj reacted
ReplyQuote