Clear all

B12 absorption

7 Posts
5 Users
6 Likes
 Rick
(@rick)
Topic starter  

I was listening to an Ostomy podcast instructions for Ostomy nurses. It mentions if you have portion of your ilium removed your vitamin B 12 absorption rate can be very low or nonexistent which causes many problems. I never knew the liver stored vitamin B 12 for 1 to 2 years following surgery and then loses the vitamin B 12. I need to speak to my doctor and check my B12 and see if it explains why I have my tiredness breathlessness tingling and feet and hands, etc. I never knew this existed.

anybody else familiar on this topic?

LK reacted
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Rick... WOW!!! I never knew B12 can cause those symptoms of tingling. My B12 , Iron & hemoglibin & others have been too low due to absorption issues.  2 years ago I was diagnosed with pariferral Nueropathy, sp?, oddly, I've had Iron infusions that never moved my iron count from 2 to where it should be. I do know low Hemoglobin can cause shortness of breath & in turn disizziness. I hope you get this figured out soon.  Crazy tingling feet & toes at anytime are nuts! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)

I had read about that too and my b12 is always way high. But my dr said that doesn’t mean your absorbing it. 🤷🏼‍♀️so she gives me injections. 

54 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @rick

I need to speak to my doctor and check my B12 and see if it explains why I have my tiredness breathlessness tingling and feet and hands, etc. I never knew this existed.

I would bet money that it's related. The tingling in particular is a symptom of very low B12. Get tested and treated.

Fortunately for us ostomates, correcting B12 deficiency is pretty easy, and we have lots of options! I've got an article on B12, if you're interested.

If you are really low, you'll more than likely get an injection. You may need to do this a few times until your levels normalize, then you should be good with at-home supplements.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Tigerlily, LK and Jattzl reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Great article Eric! Thank you for always putting a direct link up for us as well!! Vit. B12 deficiency can also result in sleep issues. I've been getting B12 shots for years & now bi-weekly, blood work to rest my viens a bit.  Those valves viens can form from too many injections / IV / pokes, lol,   are rather horrid to deal with when getting blood work regularly. My B12 is always very low. 

May I ask how often you or any other Ostomate here,  get regular blood work?  

Linda

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)

@veganostomy wow - that is an interesting article on B12. I’ve never given it any thought, so it never occurred to me to have my levels checked. Something to talk to my doctor about next annual physical.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @dlkfiretruck

May I ask how often you or any other Ostomate here,  get regular blood work?  

I aim for at least once a year (with my physical). Once your B12 levels are topped up, it takes years for them to deplete into deficiency range. But when you are deficient and treating it, I'd get it done more often (twice a year or more).

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote