Clear all

Ostomy Hole Cutters  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
February 17, 2018 10:07 pm  

I got several pair of scissors from my WOCN when I was in the hospital, she was good to me, sent me home with a couple of goodie bags.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 18, 2018 12:54 am  
Posted by: Bubbles

Best thing for cutting hole is Cuticle scissors . They are super sharp, small and curved just right . When I was cutting I would wipe down with alcohol to removed adhesive residue. 

If your cuticle scissors are the same as the ones I've used, I'd be worried about them being too sharp (the tip) and potentially puncture the pouch if you're cutting the wafer on a 1pc. 

The ones from Coloplast have rounded edges and can easy be carried in a travel case without worry :)

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
February 18, 2018 9:32 am  

Eric , 

when i did have to cut I always use a two piece so no worry about cutting pouch . I now use pre-cut . A total  game changer . Much easier.

ReplyQuote
bluesgal
(@bluesgal)
Registered
February 18, 2018 12:18 pm  

I have the nu hope hole cutter which I was using until Hollister finally offered precut wafers  in 3/4". It worked well, but eventually it got dull on one side and would take several "revolutions" to cut through the wafer.  Maybe it was a defective cutter ... I didn't  use it for long? I read they can be resharpened, but i don't  know where. I would recommend the cutter if you can't get precut wafers.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 18, 2018 12:24 pm  
Posted by: bluesgal

I have the nu hope hole cutter which I was using until Hollister finally offered precut wafers  in 3/4". It worked well, but eventually it got dull on one side and would take several "revolutions" to cut through the wafer.  

Can you estimate how many wafers you were able to cut before it got dull? I also wonder if the type of wafer makes a difference as some are much softer than others (i.e. sensura Mio vs. Sensura Xpro). I would hope that the blade would last years before they'd need sharpening. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
February 18, 2018 12:41 pm  

I can see how handy the cutter would be, I cut as Sammy can gain or lose a little. still have the same scissors the nurse give me 23 years ago. when I have the cutting done I run my thumb round the edges to smooth of. Every now and again I give them a good scalding.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
unpaidbill
(@unpaidbill)
Registered
February 18, 2018 2:49 pm  

Since my wife has macular degeneration and can't see well, I'm the caretaker of the bag.  We've tried several and want to stick with one-piece disposables.  Right now we're using Securi-T bags...they have a smaller wafer and she isn't very big, so they're more comfortable than the bigger ones.  Unfortunately, they don't come precut, so I get to have a cutting assembly line...had one yesterday and cut them until my thumb gave out.  I'm hoping they come precut eventually.  My life would be a bit simpler.

ReplyQuote
bluesgal
(@bluesgal)
Registered
February 18, 2018 4:05 pm  

I was cutting the Hollister, convex, ceraplus wafers. I don't know how many I cut ... um ... maybe less than 200? I really think the cutter itself was "defective". If it had been that the cutter just lost its edge, the dullness should have been fairly equal all the way around the blade, but it was quite clear that it only affected part of the blade.

ReplyQuote
Kathymac
(@kathymac)
Registered
February 18, 2018 4:18 pm  

I use the scissors I got from the hospital and they work fine.  My stoma is oval.  I now use Coloplast 1-piece system the most.  I use my template from the last time I changed and measure it over the stoma to make sure it has stayed the same size - it has for the last 2 months or so.  One thing about the Coloplast systems, they allow for it to softly "hug" the stoma and not cut into it.  I always get a good fit that way and never any leaks and no exposure to the skin.  Wear time is usually 5 days, too.  Cutting the hole - I've got it down to a science now and feel comfortable with every change.  I even cut the hole in the next one so it is ready to go.  It takes only a minute or so to get the new one on after my shower.  No fuss, no muss, no bother.  As for all the "junk" products that were either given to me as samples or I bought when first farting around with my colostomy, I donated them to the ostomy nurse at my surgeon's office.  I brought her a large Tote full of them and she almost fell over.  After discovering Coloplast products, I never have skin breakdowns or problems with them adhering to the skin and ease of removal when it is time to change the pouch.  No more need for adhesive sprays, wipes, powders, adhesive removers, rings, etc.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
February 18, 2018 6:04 pm  

When I used to cut, I cut 10 in advance.. No problem.. Just like I just cut the first one..

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2