Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

A Mini Guide to Ostomy Supplies: Wafers (w/ Video)  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 24, 2015 11:00 am  
wpf-cross-image

Let's discuss ostomy wafers!

My written article on this topic can be found by clicking on the link below.

james
 james
(@james)
June 18, 2015 10:31 pm  

Aloha No Colon,
I am so sorry, I cannot locate your name anywhere, thank you so much for your time on this site and for the information. I've never seen the site previously. I've had mine since 1977, and the one difficulty I am having is KEEPING THEM from turning to mush.
Please allow me to clarify. I am 57 and love to lift weights, and have been doing more leg work and squats than previously, and my Stomahesive Wafer just aint cuttin it. It's squeezes out like so much jelly and, well..... So, I've used Coloplast and they never worked well for me. Do you know of any Athletic types of appliances that I might use.
Again, this site is terrific for those who are facing something so life altering and utterly unknown (sure was in 77) a precipice in life, so to have a resource like this is terrific. I was blessed with an angel disguised as a mom, that lifted me on one side as the Lord was on the other, it was easy then.

Good work 'still rollin' it's wonderful to see caring and 'needed' information on this subject.

me ke aloha Pumehana,
James

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 18, 2015 10:48 pm  

Hi James!

Thanks for your comment.

The Stomahesive wafers you're using are "regular wear", and they are more prone to breaking down. If you'd like to stick with the ConvaTec brand, try their DURAHESIVE wafers and see if it makes a difference - those would be designed for liquid or aggressive output, and should handle moisture a lot better.

From Coloplast this would be there Sensura Xpro or Asura Extended Wear wafers and from Hollister it would be their Flextend wafers.

Good luck!

Eric

ReplyQuote
P.K.Thangarajan
 P.K.Thangarajan
(@P.K.Thangarajan)
December 17, 2016 4:28 pm  

In a two piece system ,what should be the angle of the flange?
Should itt look like a SQUARE or DIAMOND shape?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
 VeganOstomy
(@VeganOstomy)
December 17, 2016 7:43 pm  

It doesn't really matter, but some patients may prefer it in a diamond shape and others may like it square - I believe Hollister instructions state to apply it in a diamond shape. I've done it both ways and find the wafer easier to apply as a diamond.

ReplyQuote
P.K.Thangarajan
 P.K.Thangarajan
(@P.K.Thangarajan)
December 17, 2016 7:55 pm  

Thank you so much👌

ReplyQuote
Jo Anne Persons
 Jo Anne Persons
(@Jo Anne Persons)
October 27, 2019 8:30 pm  

I have tried the moldable wafers but the hole seems to go back to it’s original small hole rather than the shape of my stoma which is more oval. Does anyone else have this problem and what might one do to not have it do this?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 29, 2019 9:49 pm  

Hi Jo Anne,

Which specific product are you using? Some moldable wafers need to be stretched while others need to be rolled back to get to the hole size you need - then you can use your fingers to shape it to the right fit once it's on your stomach.

ReplyQuote