Community Forums

ConvaTec Quality Decrease?  

RSS

oriharakaoru
(@oriharakaoru)
Registered
August 25, 2018 11:01 pm  

The last batch of ostomy bags I received from ConvaTec seem to be noticeably worse quality than I'm used to? Has anyone noticed the same thing? I use a convex drainable one piece. I've used the same product since 1992 (!) and it's always worked fine for me. Now the plastic seems a lot thinner and I'm getting leaks - even between the wafer and inner seal of the plastic, which I've never had happen before? I noticed the box says they were made in the Dominican Republic while and old box I still have lying around says they used to be made in the US. So this could be due to a manufacturing change?

Just in case I need to, anyone have any recommendations for a similar product? Convex pre-cut wafer in one piece?

john68
(@john68)
Registered
August 26, 2018 12:50 pm  

Hi Oriharakaora, Like you I have been using Convatec for many years and am a 2 piece user. I have not seen any difference in quality although I am a UK user and my supplies are English made. I would contact a Conavtec rep to see what is going on and if you can still receive products that have been made in the U.S. Its good you have an open mind and are pro-active to finding alternatives but I would just see if this is a blip first. Hopefully you may still have some old supplies left until then.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 28, 2018 10:12 am  

I'm sorry that this is happening to you. 

The first thing to do is contact ConvaTec with the lot # on your product packages so they can investigate. 

Sometimes, we'll get a bad batch of product that only affects a small group of people, but other times (like in the Cymed case), entire lines are changed. 

The fact that it seems the plastic is thinner and the country of origin differs, it might indicate they changed supplier or manufacturing process, which worries me to hear. 

Please keep us informed. And if any other ConvaTec users can share their recent experiences, that might be helpful too. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Empoweringpts9
(@alilimo9)
Registered
August 30, 2018 1:51 am  

I’ve been using convatec 2-p for years. I notice changes in products, like when they changed the way Eakins were made or the bag felt different, but I haven’t particular noticed anything with my wafer. As Eric said, you may have gotten a defective batch and the manufacturer will replace them. 

Alison 👋🏼
Crohn’s disease + permanent ileostomy

ReplyQuote
Empoweringpts9
(@alilimo9)
Registered
August 30, 2018 1:55 am  

Ok. Rereading your post... Are you saying between the Tupperware pieces it’s leaking or where the Tupperware piece meets the wafer? Check the lot numbers and see if they’re made in the same facility. The other is that they may not have been kept in proper temp during shipping or holding and we know that could change the quality. 

Alison 👋🏼
Crohn’s disease + permanent ileostomy

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register