Community Forums

Eakin Cohesive Seal...

Notifications
Clear all

Eakin Cohesive Seals ("Eakin Rings") - REVIEW (w/ video)

25 Posts
4 Users
7 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
wpf-cross-image

Let's talk about Eakin Rings! Please share your experiences.

My full, written review can be found by clicking on the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
(@trixiemom)

I have always used eakin seals and yes every once and a whil I have issues. For me they work 99% of the time and i don't mind the residue

ReplyQuote
(@wenwoo74)

Hi again Eric,

Yes I have been using Eakin Seals for a bit over a year now, I like them because they are mouldable.
I too still have some leaks,

"But hey who said it's a perfect science?"

Anyway, I like them and will continue to use them I may even try the "slims" if I can get them here in Australia.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john graham)

Hi, I'm new to this site but came across it when researching what other uses thought of this product., which I have been using for over a year now, mainly without issue. Your review was accurate and fair.
I use the slims and had had occasional slight leakage under the ring but nothing serious until recently and following re-packaging by the manufacturer who have begun to use small clear plastic discs either side of the seal rather than previous stiff paper discs. The first thing I noticed was that seal is now softer and easier to mold, even when cold; then the leaks started, 4 in as many weeks. This was accompanied by soreness and irritation.
When I changed a couple of days ago, the seal I used was a left over from a previous box and had the paper discs either side. True to form, it was stiffer to the touch, but great on the skin, no irritation, no stinging, real comfort just like the first time I applied a sample 15 month or so ago.
I live in UK and, as you said, we get our supplies in boxes of 30. I am interested to know if anyone else has noticed a change in these seals since they were repackaged, if in fact this is a universal re-packaging or just UK

ReplyQuote
(@VeganOstomy)

Hey John,

Wow, that's disappointing to hear. I haven't had to purchase a new box of Eakin seals lately, but I have used another brand of barrier ring that sound very similar to what you describe, and it also performed poorly for me.

I would contact Eakin directly to see if this was simply a mistake (bad batch) or if that formulation will be the norm.

I'd love to know what you find out.

Take care,

Eric

ReplyQuote
(@Orihara Kaoru)

Hi John,

I've been using Eakin seals for years (probably around 10?) and noticed the same packaging change (I live in Canada). I was apprehensive, but the seals so far have been working the same for me, as far as I can tell. I also wear a 3M tegaderm skin barrier under my wafer, which offers additional protection from leaks and could be the reason I'm not noticing a difference with the seals.

ReplyQuote
(@Orihara Kaoru)

The residue has always been a big issue for me, so I'm looking forward to trying some of the wipes that will hopefully make removal easier. Currently I'm using alcohol wipes, which kind of work or at least work better than water.

When I first started using Eakin seals, I was trying the smush and mold method you describe above, but I've since switched to barely doing anything to them - just sticking them on the back of my wafer and pressing down so they adhere. But my stoma opening is very similar to the pre-cut size of the hole in the seals, so this works well for me. I also still use paste for extra protection and adherence to my skin.

ReplyQuote
(@VeganOstomy)

I don't use alcohol-based wipes, but I've had success with any of the silicone-based adhesive removers (like Niltac, Sensi-Care, etc.).

I'm glad you've been able to apply these seals without much fuss! Definitely makes things easier when you don't have to worry about molding them to size.

ReplyQuote
(@Susan Bogatin)

Hi,
I'm a new ostomate (just had surgery on Feb 8, 2016) and almost immediately had significant skin breakdown around a very retracted stoma. We're trying a variety of methods, and so far the Eakin rings seems to be working well. I notice in one of the comments below the 3M tegaderm skin barrier. I've heard of these. Are these also skin barrier/protectants? Can you use them under the Eakin rings, or should you simply use the wafer on top of that? We're using convex wafers, too.

BTW, as i'm having to learn A LOT, I really appreciate your site and all the hard work you've put into it. I think I'm on here at least once a day looking stuff up. Thanks so much.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@VeganOstomy)

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your kind words :)

Tegaderm is a very thin tape-like material which comes in many sizes and shapes. I get a similar product, Opsite Flexifix, but you can apply it under your wafer - it doesn't absorb moisture like Duoderm (another product), but it can act as a physical barrier for your skin. The company Costa Medical has a product called Stoma Seal, which is made of Tegaderm, but it comes in disks to make it easier to apply around your stoma (after you've cut a hole for it) - the Tegaderm that I'm used to seeing is often in rolls, and it's more difficult to apply around the stoma because more than one piece is needed.

Take care,

Eric

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Susan Bogatin)

Thanks so much. I checked out the Costa Medical site and ordered a pack of the Stoma Seals. They look like they might be able to mold a bit into the area where my stoma empties onto my skin, so may be an excellent option for me to try.

ReplyQuote
(@David Spector)

I have used mostly Eakin thick rings, and started having leaks a couple of weeks after my ileostomy, on Aug 9. Using convex rings, protective (plastic) wipes, and 4 inch rings don't help. The biggest improvement was when I started spraying the skin side of the rings with Hollister medical adhesive (letting them dry before application). But this isn't perfect, and I get a lot of melting, presumably from the warm output. I will try Tegaderm rings. Something has to work reliably.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Glad the Hollister spary is an improvement. I have a bottle and haven't tried it yet!

ReplyQuote
 Todd
(@Todd)

Hi All and Eric, thanks so much for the website. Truly a boon for this new ostomate (April 20, Ilesotomy) I had leaks with the Sensura Mio and added an eakin slim. I found the skin was still irritated. My question is how much should I be moulding the ring to the stoma? Is it really important to get it up close and firm? The video on the Eakin website seems to imply this. Thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hey Todd. Barrier rings should be "snug" around the stoma, but I wouldn't worry too much as they will fill in any gaps as they absorb moisture, and they stretch out if your stoma expands a bit (i.e. during a bowel movement).

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 Syd
(@Syd)

Hi

My one year old baby had an ilesotomy two weeks ago and we have been struggling with his stoma care. We have done three bag changes so far ( 2 were the two piece and the third was the pelican convex since his stoma is flushed). Despite using stoma powder, barrier spray, aroma paste once and cohesive seal the third time, his skin got excoriated. I have for now removed the bag and just placed a guaze. Shall I let his skin heal first or How shall I resume the use of bags ?
Would a alcohol free paste heal the excoriation ?
At the last change I had tried using the cohesive seal directly around his stoma but I found it challenging to make it sit securely. It kept sticking on my finger and I could tell it wasn’t secure around the stoma and therefore when I remove the bag I noticed that stool had leaked underneath. Can you give me a step wise guidance on stoma bag application for a non-protruding stoma.

I am frustrated with the lack of stoma care support in my location

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Syd,

I'm so sorry to hear that your little one is going through that. 

Do you have access to a stoma nurse, preferably one who has experience with pediatric patients? A nurse should be assessing both the skin, appliance, and technique to ensure the best results. 

Sometimes, using all those extra supplies just makes things worse, so a nurse should be able to scale things back to basics. Depending on why the skin is excoriated (it could be more than just the leaks), your "next step" may differ from if you were just taking a stubborn leak. 

I do hope that a nurse can help you. Please, feel free to join the forums as a registered member so you can ask more questions and give us updates. www.veganostomy.ca/community/ 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Syd- I had to look up the word "excoriated".  I have had that raw burning skin. So not fun! Years ago, a young Mom I new had her baby boy the same days as my girl was born. Her son was born without a rectum and anus. They were able to create one and train him to use it. Amazing! On one visit she was healing a rash like this and had applied Penetin baby rash cream to the area, then a powder. Not sure what it was back then, but I used the Stoma Powder on mine, along with the Penetin. I changed the bag twice a day till I saw a difference. Then moved to once and then every second and so forth. I also slept on a slant, allowing gravity to take things down the bag. I also stopped using Eakin Rings as I had no valleys to fill.  Very few issues since.  

For that sticky residue of the Rings, I used a product bought from the pharmacist called Solvo-Plast ll.  Smelly but it worked great. 

Please give your little one a hug from this gramma.  You are all in my prayers!

Linda

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Syd, I echo what Eric has said, on a little child it’s going to need professional help to access the situation. It’s a shame you’re not receiving proper care but maybe joining the forum you can give more details and could be directed toward help. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
(@Sharon sopko)

Hello could you explain the whys people use the slim rings compared to the thicker ones.
I have a 11 month old urostomy. Due to bladder cancer.
I have such leaking issues. Always to the upper medial side of my appliance.
I always wonder why the urine is going uphill.
Yes I have some ripples in my skin because my scar is so close and it healed puckered. I do use putty in the deep one and believe these rings are filling in the smaller ones

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2