Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Coloplast Sensura Mio 2pc: REVIEW (w/ video)  

Page 5 / 6
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 10, 2019 10:59 am  

@jtvt

Hi JTVT, I use machine oil that comes in a small bottle that has a fine tip. I detail how exactly I do it in this article: https://www.veganostomy.ca/rotate-ostomy-bag/

The stuff has worked well for years and because you are only using 1 or 2 drops with each appliance change, a small bottle lasts a lifetime. 

JTVT liked
ReplyQuote
UCtoOstomy
(@uctoostomy)
Registered
December 11, 2019 9:41 pm  

@jtvt

I use Argan Oil and only 2 drops or so.  But it never 'free spins' and requires a firm hold to turn.  The key for me is to hold the bag firmly down while turning so that it doesn't pop off.   This has happened and still does sometimes when I am neglectful. The youtube video describes it perfectly in my opinion.    I hope you find a product that works and you can learn how to rotate your appliance effectively.  

JTVT and Tony liked
ReplyQuote
Amber
 Amber
(@Amber)
December 29, 2019 3:13 pm  

I am under the impression that they have done away with the narrow spout bag altogether.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 30, 2019 10:07 am  

Hi Amber, depending on where you live, you have both the wide and narrow outlet options available. We still do here in Canada as of Dec 2019.

ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
December 30, 2019 10:55 am  

@Amber

Yes, only the wide spout is available now in the US. I have nothing to compare it to other than the Hollister New Image products but I don’t have any issues with the size of the Coloplast “wide” spout. Also, unlike the narrow spout, this model comes with little Velcro tabs to hold the end flap open which I really like. I have thick output so maybe with liquid output a narrow spout is more desirable but I would give the wide a try if in the US. 

Good luck! 

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
January 7, 2020 1:30 pm  

I find the Mio's to be over engineered and under performing.   the bags feel heavy & bulky compared to the Sensura.    A letter from coloplast said the bags flex even more now.   well give me a bag that flexes more than a 1 piece, otherwise why limit my movement?

Mio's are not an athletes friend.

ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
January 7, 2020 2:57 pm  

@dogtalkerer

Which one piece do you use? How many days do you get out of it? Also, do you use a barrier ring? I think I’ll still prefer a 2 piece but curious what has worked for you with an active lifestyle. I’m trying as many samples as I can get my hands on!

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 7, 2020 3:05 pm  

I don’t think it’s fair to say that any type of appliance is better than another! Ok we all know that certain products have had problems. I have always used a 2 piece by Convatec and have spent most of my working life in construction. What maybe right for one may not be suitable for another. Don’t be afraid to try different samples 👍

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
January 7, 2020 3:33 pm  

Hi JTVT,

I agree with John in that one type of system isn't any better than the other. It's a good idea to try to find the system that works for you, so order as many samples as you can. Many people prefer the two-piece system and there are many advantages to them. I myself use the Sensura Mio one-piece as I like its low profile and it's flexibility. I use a light convex system, since I have irregularities around my stoma. I usually get three days use out of mine. I probably could get more, but I don't want to take a chance on leaks. Another thing I like about the Sensura Mio is the fact that it's barrier keeps my skin healthy. I have not had any skin issues since I began using them.

Stella

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
January 7, 2020 4:34 pm  

Hi JVTV,

To echo what Stella said, you just need to keep trying different products until you find the one that is best for you. 

I am still struggling with this process myself. I started with the Sensura Mio one piece, and stuck with it for a while, but was having a lot of leaks. I tried a couple other brands, without much luck. They I went to the Sensura Mio 2 piece with the adhesive coupling, and the leaks don’t come as quickly with that one. It still isn’t perfect but I usually get a good two days, sometimes 3.  I am continuing to experiment, but just periodically, since it is so frustrating getting leaks and so rough on my skin.

Good luck finding the one that is right for you!!

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
January 7, 2020 5:21 pm  

Hey JT, I use the coloplast sensura. I prefer the lower profile, 1 less leak potential and less movement constraints.  I have never use a barrier ring or any kind of paste. i do have a colostomy, so thing are a bit different between you and i.  though i first tried Cymed cause their poster boy was a rock climber with an ileostomy, so i figured if he climbed with those bags they must be a good athletic fit.  and they were til the last manufacturer change. 

surf ski kayaking with a thick wetsuit is the hardest on a bag, lots of continuous torso rotation, 2 days back to back before I have a failure. but thats 6-8hrs paddling. 

moutain biking, skate skiing are easier on bags, maybe 3-4days.  just going to work 4-6days, but they tend to start stinking and not leaking.  over the last 8 yrs the sensura holds on better, the mio still starts falling off too soon for my liking, plus as I said,  its bulky. i rarely notice i have a bag on, thats the whole point in finding what works best.

this last year, I've mnt biked 250miles, paddled 400miles and probably skied 400miles, thats my data collection experience.

LL and John? really? theres no real noticeable difference between a clip bag and a velcro in comfort and usability? ease of cleaning? look at the Cymed post, 36,000 views, if a bag were a bag were a bag, that post would not have so many views.   john, if you have only use convatec, where is your supporting evidence to your claim? 

I've use convatec,hollister,cymed,coloplast and maybe a few others. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 7, 2020 9:02 pm  
Posted by: @dogtalkerer

I find the Mio's to be over engineered and under performing.   the bags feel heavy & bulky compared to the Sensura. 

The Sensura line was what I started with and I do prefer the simplicity over the Mio, but many people do find that the Mios work best for them. There's no "better" here because each one offers their own strengths and weeknesses.  

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
January 8, 2020 5:51 pm  

vegan, you have a funny way with words. you said many "prefer" the mio, then state there is no "better"

so I have to ask for a definition of "prefer" and "better"  here.    seems to me they are synonyms to each other.  

so,  I prefer sensura because i consider it better.......I think all the people in the cymed post thought the microskin was best, can you really argue with the 36,000 readers of that post?

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
January 8, 2020 7:42 pm  

so I have to ask for a definition of "prefer" and "better"  here.    seems to me they are synonyms to each other.  

We can all google the definitions of both words, so I won’t post those, but in my opinion, “prefer” is completely subjective, while “better” is much more objective. 

Every ostomate has different criteria they use to determine which appliance they prefer. Just because someone may prefer one brand does not make it better than others. 

Eric, thank you so much for all the work you do reviewing different products, so we can all choose which one we prefer for our own unique situation.

VeganOstomy, Tony and LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 8, 2020 8:33 pm  

vegan, you have a funny way with words. you said many "prefer" the mio, then state there is no "better"

Not hard to understand. Each product offers its own strengths and weakness, so one is not "better" than another because each person has their own preferences. 

For example, the Mio wafer is infinitely better than the Sensura Click wafer in my opinion.  The Sensura wafer would cut into my skin, causing me to bleed. 

And the large prefilter on the Mio may considerably benefit a colostomate vs the standard filter on the Sensura.

I think all the people in the cymed post thought the microskin was best, can you really argue with the 36,000 readers of that post?

That's a bit unfair. Cymed, before the formulation changes, offered a product that was considered by many users to be far better in every way compared to other products, including the Sensura. And it went beyond mere preference for how thin it was. Microskin, at it's best, genuinely offered people with a product that was superior in many ways.

The point is that each person will find their own product or products that work for them and there is not one single appliance that anyone can confidently say is the "best" for everyone. What's better for you may be terrible for the next person. What you prefer may be awful to someone else.

I don't think it does anyone any good to assume that what works best for one person will work best for someone else.

This forum has been created to help people find what works best for them. I hope we can all assist in making that happen. 

LK and Tony liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
January 21, 2020 10:25 am  

I have been sampling the 2 piece Sensura Mio click. I tend to get fewer leaks with 2 piece systems, and after using the Mio with adhesive coupling for a while, the click is a nice change. The adhesive coupling wafers have such a big plastic ring where the 2 parts connect, and it can be annoying. The wafer on the click feels so much smaller. 

The only real problem I have been having is getting the bag to click into place. I feel like I am bruising something trying to snap the bag down. I’ve just read through all the pages of comments and will try wetting the ring next time. Any other tips for clicking the bag down without causing internal bleeding? 🤣

LK liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
January 29, 2020 12:39 pm  

squeeky, why do you think you get fewer leaks with a 2 piece?   I wonder if with the stiffer flange of a 2 piece,  you subconsciously bend less since the 2 pice is more noticeable .  ?

less bending, less leaks. 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
January 30, 2020 5:36 am  

I’m not exactly sure why I am getting fewer leaks with the two piece. If anything, I am bending more now. I was so sick and weak getting out of the hospital that I wasn’t really doing any bending. I had to use a walker for a month or so - longer when leaving the house. And I had physical therapy for a couple months just to strengthen my legs and regain my balance. 

The 2 piece with the adhesive has a big wafer that causes a little problem with bending. Now I have moved to the click which is as small as the one piece and doesn’t seem to impede my bending any more than a one piece does. 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
January 30, 2020 6:53 am  

@squeakyandliza..lets  see if I can save you a big "read over"! lol! It seems to me Eric said he  uses a small machine oil to help  spin his  two piece. That would safely come in the form of something like sewing machine oil and only a drop or two will be plenty.   Also, it would  not stain your clothing if you got  some on it.   If so,  then liquid dish soap (Dawn) works  pretty great  for removing oils or grease  from material,  this is from experience.  Surround the stain with soap first, then rub it in to the center.

ReplyQuote
Bob
 Bob
(@Bob)
March 2, 2020 12:17 am  

I wrote 8 months ago that I switched from filtered to non-filtered Sensura Mio pouches after suffering several major pouch leaks which seemed to involve pancaking due to the Sensura Mio pre-filter. Now, some follow-up: After switching to the non-filtered pouches, I haven't had any more leaks. However, I've had several NEAR leaks recently, where, during a regularly scheduled change, I discovered that it was very close to leaking, and a serious leak would have occurred if I had worn it just a little bit longer. Moreover, after reviewing all the data, I've determined that, in addition to the effect of pancaking and the Mio pre-filter, there's a second factor which has contributed to my leaks:

The issue is that SENSURA MIO ADHESIVE HAS A SHORT SHELF LIFE. And, even when it hasn't hit its expiry date yet, if it's sufficiently close to its expiry date it can lose enough adhesion to increase the chance of leaks. Coloplast knows that Sensura Mio has a short shelf life, as they mark each box with a shelf life of only 2 years. (See the post about expiry dates at https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-product-expiry/ and note the photo of box of Sensura Mio 1pc drainables). This is in marked contrast with Hollister and ConvaTec pouching systems, which are considered to have 5-year shelf lives. I've worked through all my purchase records of Sensura Mio pouches, which include the expiry dates of every box. I found that every time I've had a significant leak or near-leak, with either filtered or non-filtered Mio pouches, I was using Sensura Mio adhesive that was within 10 months of hitting its expiry date (or, equivalently, was older than 14 months after its manufacture date).

Given this information, I'd like to be able to instruct my supplier not to sell me any product that's within 10 months of expiring. But that isn't possible (All I can do is make sure they don't sell product which has actually expired). What I'm doing now is choosing how long to wear each pouch based on its expiry date. Previously, I typically wore (one-piece) Mio pouches for 3 or 4 days. Now, I still wear them for 3 days if they have more than 10 months to go before hitting their expiry dates. However, if pouches are within 10 months of expiring, I wear them for only 2 days. I'm also being very careful to always use up older products (by expiry date) before newer products. Thus, if I get a newly purchased box which happens to be older (by expiry date) than a previously purchased box that I'm still using, I'll immediately switch to the newly purchased box and use them up before returning to the previously purchased (newer) product.

While this is working, for now, it's annoying to deal with a product that has such a short shelf life and sometimes get so little wear time. Therefore, as much as I like the Sensura Mio systems, I may hunt around to see if I could use a system from Hollister or ConvaTec with their more sensible 5-year shelf life.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6
Share: