Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Coloplast Sensura Mio 2pc: REVIEW (w/ video)  

Page 6 / 6
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 3, 2020 10:13 am  

Hi Bob. Thank you for the update!

I can certainly see how that can be a problem and I'm not sure that anything can be done unless the Mio's adhesive formulation is changed. Good luck, and I hope you find a solution that works better for you.

ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
March 3, 2020 10:35 am  

To weigh in on the debate, not that anyone asked me...  I agree with those who have highlighted individual differences as dictating which system is best. 
It was said above that the 2 piece is not an active person’s friend but it is if you have a higher output ileostomy with a long stoma. The flange on the 2 piece serves as an essential part of my stomal protection. My spout is long enough that all the stoma guards I’ve tried tend to crush my stoma and prevent output. The flange lifts the guard off my stoma which is key. I agree that the 2 piece is more rigid and kind of a pain in the ass with deep bending but it’s better than a bleeding stoma surrounded by an exploding pancake! 

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
March 3, 2020 4:42 pm  

interesting JTV.   if you roll over on your stomach at night will the stoma bleed?  mine only seems to bleed when I'm cleaning around it with a paper towel.  of course it could bleed at other times and I do not know it.  is your stoma sensitive to touch? my colostomy isn't,  i can bang on it all day without trouble, grandulomas don't like being touched though.

BOB, how many failures do you find per box of 10 near the 10th month per expiration date?

I recently wore a 8-10yr old convetec and couple weeks later a brand new sample,  the wear times were basically the same from old to new    I really question these so-called expiration dated bags.  really like to see some hard data, not just a manufacturer suggestions.

the Mio was initially a closed end bag designed to be removed daily.   the first drainables, about 8 yrs ago or so came out,  I tried them and they  lasted 3-4days, recently I tried a Mio again and the wear time was about the same as if they are still basically a drainable closed end style flange.

lots of variables i find with leaks,:

how clean was the skin,

how hot did I get the flange

how long I kept pressure on the bag putting it on.

how much bending I do, not a constant for sure.

pinning it down to its manufacture date would require a whole lot of testing. at least 3 - 4 boxes.

ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
March 3, 2020 9:50 pm  

@dogtalkerer

I’m not sure about rolling over on it as I haven’t slept on my stomach, even inadvertently, since I was stomatized. I actually miss it. The stoma is very friable and bleeds with cleaning, after a long day under a guard, or even with a waist band that rides up or down without a guard on. I grazed it with a ski pole causing a small laceration and it bled A LOT. It also healed quickly. It’s highly vascularized tissue so all of this is probably normal. No somatic sensory receptors in intestine so no, there is little pain associated with the damage. I do have pain around the stoma and some visceral discomfort but thats a different story. 
I can’t speak to using product near the expiration date as I’ve only had this thing for 4 months. I would feel perfectly comfortable using pouches indefinitely. The wafers make me more nervous but I’ll probably use them beyond their best by date. I did have some freeze on me then thaw with a lot of condensation so I’m saving those for a rainy day. 

ReplyQuote
Bob
 Bob
(@Bob)
March 4, 2020 7:11 pm  

On changing the adhesive formulation, the Sensura Mio adhesive has some unique characteristics in terms of its elasticity and flexibility as shown in the video at https://www.coloplast.ca/sensura-mio-1-piece-drainable-en-ca.aspx#section=videos-and-animations_100 and it's possible that in designing an adhesive with those characteristics, one of the trade-offs was a short shelf life.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 6, 2020 2:15 pm  
Posted by: @Bob

and it's possible that in designing an adhesive with those characteristics, one of the trade-offs was a short shelf life

Absolutely. There's always a give and take when it comes to what the goal is with these formulations. It's possible to have a product that's extremely gentle on everyone's skin, but maybe it only has a 24h wear time. Likewise, you can probably design a wafer intended to wear for weeks, but good luck getting that to work with everyone. 

I'm sure that the softer, more flexible Mio wafers (which I also find to be very skin-friendly) have reduced wear times vs. other products. Perhaps in time, their formula will improve to offer longer wear times for more people. 

ReplyQuote
Alastair
 Alastair
(@Alastair)
March 21, 2020 2:37 pm  

Firstly, Eric, thank you for your informative, helpful, "no nonsense" site.

Since my APR surgery on 10 February I have been using the Hollister New Image 2-piece system, with its CeraPlus Skin Barrier and a drainable pouch. The skin barrier is excellent: flexible, secure, and I get 5 days wear with no skin irritation. The Hollister "floating flange" makes it easy to get your thumbs behind the flange to press on the pouch and secure it in a pinching motion between finger and thumb. The pouch itself is not so good, however: the non-woven fabric cover roughs up after a couple of days, can get damp in the shower, and the end of the tail is quite hard to clean because of the thin, 1mm or so, floppy plastic that extends past the thicker end of the tail. It does always feel secure when rolled up, though, and the filter works very well.

I tried a sample Sensura Mio click wafer and drainable pouch for the first time at my last appliance change.

The pouch is really excellent: good quality material, good shape, easy to empty and clean the tail, shrugs off water, the tail tucks away, and the pouch can be folded if required. Very good all round.

I'm not so sure about the wafer though: unlike Hollister's "floating flange", I found it very difficult to press hard enough on the wafer when it was on my abdomen to get it to click. It took about five minutes and was quite frustrating. And, it's only been on two days and the outer edges already seem to be peeling away from my skin, which is making me feel slightly nervous. (My skin was clean and dry, with no use of moisturizers or anything like that before I fitted the wafer.). I did also try lubricating the flange with a drop of hair clipper oil to make it easy to rotate the pouch (per the posting on this site) but it was still too stiff.

If there was a manufacturer that could combine the best aspects of the Coloplast Sensura Mio pouch with the Hollister New Image wafer, they'd clean up!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 23, 2020 10:45 am  

Thanks for sharing that, Alastair! Wouldn't it be great if an "open-source" ostomy kit was available to mix and match various brands? There are some adhesive coupling 2pc systems that are compatible with each other, but the adhesive coupling (in my opinion) causes more trouble than it's supposed to solve.

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
March 23, 2020 4:32 pm  

@Alastair

I agree. I have been using the Sensura Mio click. They start to peel away from my skin too, so I have been using wafer extenders and that helps quite a bit. They do start to pull away too, but I have really dry skin. They do give me some extra time though. You might give then a try. I’ve used both coloplast and Hollister. I prefer the Hollister ones. 

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 6