Community Forums

Adapt Convex Barrier Rings.  

RSS

karenlee
(@karenlee)
Registered
01/10/2018 11:22 am  

Hello! I am new to the forum but I have been reading it for years. I have a question about the Adapt Convex Barrier Rings from Hollister. Has anyone tried them? Are they any good? I would love to hear any feedback. Thank You!!

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
01/10/2018 12:58 pm  

Hey, Karenlee.

Welcome to the forums! I've used the standard Adapt Barrier Rings in the past, but not the convex. I honestly don't even recall how well they worked (or even if they worked for me) and I don't have a review up, but have you been open to sampling the convex barrier rings for a week to see if they work for you? 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
karenlee
(@karenlee)
Registered
01/10/2018 1:18 pm  

Hi VeganOstomy, thanks for your welcome and reply.

I have recently switched to Hollister after using Convatec since 2002 ( their quality went downhill, in my opinion ).

I have been having leakage issues for a few years now since the Convatec change in quality.

I have tried the convexity wafers in the past but found they hurt and were downright uncomfortable. My stoma is like a " rosebud ", it is not an inny it is just enough.

I do have a couple of samples and I will be trying one on my next wafer/appliance change.

I was just curious if they worked well or were just a gimmick.

ReplyQuote
UCtoOstomy
(@uctoostomy)
Registered
01/10/2018 3:32 pm  

I have used Hollister barrier rings (7805 and 8805) since my surgery.  I love the 8805 with the ceraplus.  I always use a barrier ring during changes.  However I am not sure what a convex barrier ring is... is there a difference between a regular ring and a convex ring.  

ReplyQuote
karenlee
(@karenlee)
Registered
01/10/2018 5:56 pm  

Hello UCtoOstomy.  I am using the Hollister barrier ring ( 8805 ) at the moment.

Yes, there is a difference with the convex barrier ring. Below I have copied and pasted part of the description from Hollister's website.

Adapt convex barrier rings can be used to create round or oval convexity, deep convexity when applied to a convex barrier, or flexible convexity when applied to a flat barrier.

I will be trying one of the samples sent to me soon, I hope it works as stated.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
02/10/2018 9:06 am  

Hi karenlee,

I can understand how convex wafers felt uncomfortable. There are some "deep" convex wafers that require special attention because of the risk of pressure sores, but they do make light convex and convex wafers that are softer if you wanted to give that another go. 

I think the convex barrier rings are a good compromise if you need some comvexity and added protection from leaks. 

ReplyQuote
karenlee
(@karenlee)
Registered
17/10/2018 11:43 am  

Hi, I tried the convex barrier ring and sadly it did not hold. It only lasted 10 minutes before major leakage. I think I will pass on these and get convex wafers instead.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
20/10/2018 11:27 pm  

If one doesn't work, try another! I find that even similar products will work differently from brand to brand, so don't give up. A convex wafer may work better for you compared to a convex barrier ring. 

ReplyQuote
karenlee
(@karenlee)
Registered
21/10/2018 9:59 am  

I have switched to Hollister, and I am very pleased with the quality and wear time ( 5-6 days ). I bought convex wafers 11504 ( very comfortable ) and some flat ones with ceraplus 11202. My peristomal skin cleared up nicely with Hollister.  I'm still using Eakin adhesive rings. I found the Hollister adhesive rings not as durable ( for me ).  

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register