Community Forums

A Mini Guide to Ost...

Notifications
Clear all

A Mini Guide to Ostomy Supplies: Protective Sheets (w/ Video)

22 Posts
4 Users
15 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
wpf-cross-image

Let's talk about protective sheets! Have you used these before? Do you have any tips to share?

My written article for this product can be found by clicking on the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
(@Christiaan Vanderkop)

Your products are truly excellent yet some a little complex or confusing to use. I presently am not eligible for government assistance until next year. In the meantime I have to purchase them at my expense. I am on a CPP/OAS income only. My monthly ostomy supply costs can exceed my only income. See my problem? Trust me I am not the only one thrown under the bus by MSP. Perhaps if you could drop the cost of your supplies to us seniors and others in dire need of these ESSENTIAL supplies.
I am probably dreaming to think you guys, like Hollister, will ignore this note and not lobby the government on our behalf. If it wasn't for some donations here and there I would be truly in trouble.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Christiaan,

I'm not sure if you were addressing your comment to Coloplast, but I'm just a patient like you and I also find the price of these supplies to be quite expensive.

I would suggest contacting your local or national ostomy association as they would be the ones to help lobby for more affordable supplies. Here in Canada, or at least in Ontario, we had an increase in our ostomy grant payments because of organizations like Ostomy Canada helping to fight for better access to supplies.

Good luck!

Eric

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Jessica)

Thanks for your video. Do you think it is possible to use the plastic that gets peeled off from the back of a wafer as a protective sheet if you taped around the edges?

Thank you

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

No, and I wouldn't as the edges of that plastic will cut your skin and it also doesn't absorb moisture like protective sheets do.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Douglas Young)

Hi. I am a new ostomate . My nurse wants me to use this film because of severe irritation around my stoma. She wanted me to cut 4in sheet into crescent moon shapes and place over irritated site around stoma. I hope this will clear up my issue. I enjoyed your videos for information since my surgery back in april. Keep up the good work.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

I hope it works out for you, Douglas! Thanks for checking out my videos!

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Sam sam)

My husbands stoma is retracted We are having lots of leakage issues. The waken rings below hiollister does not seem to stay on more than a day. Coloplast does not seem to stick either. Do you think this protective sheet work for him?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Sam sam,

Protective sheets would not be helpful for retracted stomas. Has your husband ever tried convex wafers? They are designed to apply gentle pressure around the stoma, which usually causes the stoma to push out a bit. 

I suggest that he speak with a stoma nurse before trying, since there are different depths and hardnesses of convex products, and misusing them can cause pressure sores. 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Sam sam)

He has been using convex wafers .. But i feel that the eaken ring below and the convex is lot letting the stoma push out as much as it should. And the eaken is not really sticking to his skin also. i can see things seeping in on his skin below , which is why I thought we can give these seals a try.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: Sam sam

But i feel that the eaken ring below and the convex is lot letting the stoma push out as much as it should. And the eaken is not really sticking to his skin also. i can see things seeping in on his skin below , which is why I thought we can give these seals a try.

These protective sheets aren't really designed to be an alternative to barrier rings (i.e. eakin rings). Eakin rings should help to prevent leaks, but if you find they aren't sticking well or "melting", you may want to experiment with another brand of barrier ring. This one from Coloplast shouldn't melt like the Eakin Ring: https://www.veganostomy.ca/coloplast-brava-protective-rings/

ReplyQuote
(@Chris Lewis)

With my inverted/retracted stoma, I had to go to a deep convex nu-hope, and for liquid issues they make liquid resistant hydrocolloids. Calling them may be a good starting point if he is still struggling. Also, using the ostomy belt helps hold the bags on for this type of scenario.

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Posted by: @veganostomy

Protective sheets would not be helpful for retracted stomas. Has your husband ever tried convex wafers? 

Eric, do you think these protective sheets could be used along with a convex wafer?  Do you think it would have a similar effect as using duoderm?

Has anyone else used these protective sheets, and if so, how did the work for improving skin condition?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @squeakyandliza

Eric, do you think these protective sheets could be used along with a convex wafer?  Do you think it would have a similar effect as using duoderm?

I don't use convex products, but I would think that the protective sheets are too thick and don't conform enough to have a convex wafer over it. The duoderm is very thin - much like skin - so you can do a lot more with it. 

LK and SqueakyandLiza reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

@veganostomy

Thanks Eric!  I couldn’t tell by the picture that it was thicker than the duoderm. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Jainy John)

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for your informative posts..they are really helpful for new ostomates. My mom has undergone illeostomy recently and is having frequent leaking issues leading to skin excoriation. We were thinking of using duoderm under the wafer/ baseplate to protect/ heal the skin. But you have mentioned that it's better for using around the stoma. Any issues if it's used under the wafer like the Brava protective sheet?

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Jainy John,

Duoderm could work as a full protective sheet, but practical speaking, I'd only consider it if they were covered by insurance or provided free. Over here they'd be way too expensive to use as a full protective sheet.

Good luck!

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@John McLaughlin)

would this sheet allow a wound under the bagging system heal if the sheet is applied between the wound and the bag?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi John,

That is one of the use cases for this type of product.

However, I find that it will not work well with large or weeping wounds, since the adhesive won't still well under those circumstances.

ReplyQuote
 bob
(@bob)

Been using one piece hollister drainable pouches with no other things except stomahesive paste to keep the skin right aroudn the ostomy clear from damage=- I can only get 1 day before it starts to leak under the seal too much to push for antoehr day's wear- I tried coloplast barrier sheet and wow!- gettign much better adhesion, and i coukld have pushed for 2 days but got nervous as I'm new to them- gonna try to go 2 days startign tomorrow- I think it will work ok- woudl be nice to get at least 2 days- the sheet swells up/melts as liquid contacts it, whereas before the output from ostomy woudl work under the holister seal and woudl eat away the stomahesive past after a day- Be aware though that it was quite hard to get the brava sheet off- so have soemthign like alcohol or a barrier spray remover to work it off the skin- I got it off without such stuff, but it was hard to do-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2