Community Forums

1pc vs 2pc Ostomy Appliance - OSTOMY TIPS (w/ video)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Brenda Fergus
 Brenda Fergus
(@Brenda Fergus)
05/01/2019 10:11 am  

I’m so confused by all of this, I had a total proctolectomy on oct 11 2018 & I still can’t get used to this, I’ve tried almost every kind of bag from the samples they have sent me, I like the one piece but I have no luck, after a couple hours I end up with a leak, the hollister ones have been the best so far but I really don’t like the clip, so because of not knowing when I will leak I find myself being more house bound afraid to go out anywhere

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
07/01/2019 11:31 am  

Hi Brenda,

I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing trouble. I understand how frustrating that must be for you.

You mentioned a clip on the Hollister bag. Have you tried their bags that have the "lock 'n roll" closure instead? I also don't like clips, but the lock 'n roll has been absolutely reliable in every situation.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
07/01/2019 12:10 pm  

Hi Brenda, A leak can sure knock any ostomates confidence. The one peice is a little tricky to put on compared to a 2 peice. (Just my opinion) their is always a reason for a leak and could be a very simple cause. Have you discussed the problem with your stoma nurse 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Raine
(@raine)
Registered
07/01/2019 2:03 pm  

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time.  It took me a few months to find what worked for me, so don't get discouraged.  I found for me that using a ring under the appliance helped with leaks, also using a belt helped.  Keep asking for samples until you find the right combination.  

Good luck

Raine

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
07/01/2019 6:07 pm  

Hi Brenda,

I am sorry that  you are  having a hard time finding the right appliance/ fit etc. Like everyone says, it will get better! Not much help in the day to day, but you will find the right solution to this problem.

Sometimes it is because that after only three months, you are still healing. Your body is getting used to the stoma. The stoma can change in size as you heal. 

I also use the Hollister, with the lock and roll closure that Eric mentions. It works great.

If you have access to a stoma nurse, please see them.

It is so frustrating to go though all this , but these things do work, and it will get better.

Keep asking questions.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
08/01/2019 4:05 am  

Hey Brenda...welcome. I tried a few bags when I first had my stoma and just love the Hollister 8331 bag. It is also a velcro roll up. I tried one with the clip and took it off within hours of trying it. It has never come undone on its own and I do a fair bit of bending, leaks aside.  Make sure you measure your stoma frequently, the bag company. will send you extra of the guides if you need some. Just ask. Hollister sent me a lot of them a while back. Always save the ones you do not use, you just never know when you will be glad you had them. Check and see if you have healed up differently then it looks. Mine went fro a circle to a D shape.  Use a mirror to check all sides and a flashlight if you need to, so you can see in the small shadow. Also, one issue I had was in getting the bag on... my  stoma had leaked fluid and it would get on the plate (wrong term...I am working on it) and then on my skin and then the leak. Usually at night due to laying down, or to pancaking.  Are you bending the plate forward to place it onto your tummy for the lower part first?  I use a q-tip or tissue to dry the stoma then finish putting the bag over the stoma without getting tissue on it or the plate, to put the rest of it on. Fanning the area with the plastic piece you took off the plate. Then immediately apply slight pressure to the edge around the the bag around your stoma to make sure you have it stuck there. I also tried and succeeded in using a warm hot water bottle to the sight after applying the bag, with a facecloth over my stoma. Lay down for this if you can. Be sure it is not too hot, you do not want to damage your stoma or the skin. I did this to make sure that the extra bit of warmth  to attached the bag better. I would rest about 5 to 10 with the bottle on my tummy.  If you have trouble getting the bags off at all, this is where the Spray Adhesive Remover comes in nicely. As far as feeling house bound, believe me that is a normal thing at this point for many. It does take time to develop the confidence of going out with a  pouch. You may experience noise  at home from your stoma,  no one sent me home with a silencer for my Rose, so be prepared that it will happen when you are out also. Sometimes  I place my hand over Rose to help quiet her a bit. Try naming your stoma if you have not and it is okay to change her name as you go, mine has had three names altogether. Rose being the best to date.  Make sure you have what you need with you for a trip out of the house just in case of a leak...Eric has a video on this. But make a few little trips out first before a lengthy one, giving yourself more time out each time when you're ready. I started with small walks, they told me a lot about how Rose would do in public...not to mention myself.  All the best to you. Continue to heal well.

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
08/01/2019 11:05 am  

Hi Brenda,

I am late coming on to this, but I was wondering if you have checked with your stoma nurse as to what body type you are.  Your body type may be enabling the leaks and you may not be using the best system for you. I found out that I have imperfections in the area around my stoma and discovered that I needed a convex system. I use the Sensura Mio Convex, and so far, no leaks. I also use a paste in the areas around the stoma that are indented and that helps the skin to stick more to the barrier. I hope this gives you something more to consider. Good luck!

Stella

ReplyQuote
Kianda Davidson
 Kianda Davidson
(@Kianda Davidson)
22/05/2019 4:02 am  

I use Hollister 2 piece system and I haven't had any issues

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
22/05/2019 3:22 pm  
Posted by: Kianda Davidson

I use Hollister 2 piece system and I haven't had any issues

Glad to hear that, Kianda! Hollister has been my goto appliance for quite a while now. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Nuffy
 Nuffy
(@Nuffy)
19/08/2019 1:10 am  

Hi Brenda...don't hide away, and stop your outside activities.. Do what I do,I have a simple method which I came up with, and it works day and night!! My Nurses love it when they see it. Also this method keeps that area extra clean...

(My Velcro fold over Hollister often fell apart too, and it worried me so I had find a way to prevent this from happening again!!) After you close the pouch outlet continue on from here...

I use a Winc Foldback clip which come in coated colours. I like the pretty pink, or use whatever brand you can find, and 4 sheets of toilet paper torn off in to one piece, and then folded horizontally, this is a must to prevent accidents; just wish I could show you a photo!

Here's the link which is safe to show you the clip the clip I am speaking of...
https://www.winc.com.au/main-catalogue-productdetail/winc-19mm-foldback-clips-box-12/30713500?feature=Merch+Promote&feature_ident=business_rule%3ART_1711_OPPromoteCategory%7Cstyle%3Apromote_3

NOW!
Fold the piece of Toilet paper horizontally, (in half) then proceed to make a pocket to cover the outlet at the base of the Hollister pouch into little pocket; see my little diagram >> |__| << You will notice the toilet paper hangs over each side horizontally, now that's what we want to happen, so those ends will then fold underneath to make a firm pocket at the base of pouch then place the clip onto your pouch making sure the ends of toilet paper are tucked in, and in place then place the onto your newly made pocket, and then clip the little wings upwards to lock clip in place, that way the paper pocket doesn't come apart...

As an alternative you can also buy some disposable chuck super wipes which come in blue, pink, yellow, or green packs of 20 or more, or you can buy a large roll which I did, and just cut to size. These can be washed in the washing machine daily, and last for yonks! To be honest I found using these was way more economical than using toilet paper...Entirely your choice...

Superwipes link!!
https://www.winc.com.au/main-catalogue-productdetail/chux-09305b-superwipes-heavy-duty-blue-30x56cm-45m-roll/86768603?gclid=CjwKCAjw7uPqBRBlEiwAYDsr11mkRgyqWt-VvnqwDrZIj312bFJ5W280E45fcf4r5mhTAZLJ15WeRhoC6U0QAvD_BwE

Good luck Brenda and I hope this works for you, and you can understand my instructions...

All the best,
Nuffy....

IleosTony liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
19/08/2019 11:19 am  

Hi Brenda, I use the Hollister with the Velcro lock-and-roll, and the Velcro has never failed (my ostomy is 15 months old). Once in awhile, if I want a little more security I use one of those little metal clamp/clips (like the ones Nuffy mentioned) which I can get from Office Supply. I also use a ring under the flange - the ring is a wonderful invention; without the ring I think I would get a leak. Best to you LL

I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)
Registered
19/08/2019 12:23 pm  

I too have never had a failure of the lock and roll fastener in over 3 years.  On occasion I have rolled up the end a couple of times and put a rubber band around it.  This is to keep the plastic parts from scratching my leg while exercising.

LL what kind of ring are you talking about?  I use a Nu Hope support belt that has a ring.  Maybe that is what you are referring to.

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
19/08/2019 1:44 pm  

Hi Bill, I mean the waxy ring under the flange/plate (so I was meaning preventing links at the top, actually). . I think most people use them, but I have heard of some that don’t seem to need them. LL

I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
19/08/2019 2:30 pm  

I've used the Hollister lock and roll ( velcro like stuff) bags for over four years now. The only kind I have ever used.  I have NEVER ever had a leak from that end of the bag.  I feel very secure with this system. It doesn't seem to matter what the consistency of the output is...from liquid to thick.

I do make sure the area is 'clean' , meaning rinsed or well wiped out after I empty it. If I am not rinsing I just wipe off the end really well. Then I push any remaining stool UP back into the bag as best I can.  The whole area to be rolled up should be as free of stool as possible.  After that I wipe out all I can reach from the opening, before rolling the whole thing back up.

This sounds involved, but I literally do it in my sleep.

Note: If you crease the opening BEFORE use ( vertically across the opening) , it makes it much easier to open it wide enough to wipe out later. I think this technique is explained elsewhere on VO.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
19/08/2019 3:19 pm  

And Nuffy,

Welcome to the forum. Its great to have another  voice.  We all benefit from all suggestions. 

We are all dealing with similar but different things and its great to have new new person in the community.

IleosTony liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register