Community Forums

1pc or 2pc?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
April 23, 2017 9:53 pm  

Imho the advantages of the 2 piece outweigh the disadvantages. I have been using a moldable wafer with a separate bag. The moldable wafer is a great innovation since it makes a tight seal around the stoma. Though, it is not perfect, it is an improvement.

Positioning the wafer correctly makes for a comfortable ride. It is easier to aim the wafer if the bag is not blocking vision.

ReplyQuote
berri03
(@berri03)
Registered
July 25, 2017 3:44 pm  
Posted by: Kae

I can pop the bag off to shower, and since I have a handheld shower head I can spray the base plate, cleaning it quite nicely. I am sort of a nut about it being clean.

Hi Kae:

I have been wanting to do the same for showering between bag changes where I can take just the bag off and leave the wafer on, but I am afraid of any output that comes out getting on the top of the adhesive barrier of the wafer. I was wondering if this is a problem when showering with just the wafer on and if it can just be cleaned?

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
July 25, 2017 9:25 pm  

What's that collared ring that you were talking about?

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
July 25, 2017 9:56 pm  

When ever my peristoma starts to itch and burn , I take off the bag and rinse it out. Then, I wipe out my wafer with a tissue  and put back the bag.

In the beginning,  my peristoma started to get irritated from slightest fecal liquid. My WOCN told me that I can put thin pieces of calcium alginate around my stoma under the wafer. This healed me up. I still use this method when I  itch. 

At present, I find that the Moldable wafer works best for me. It forms a collar around stoma,  keeping the peristoma dry. It's not perfect, but it lasts 3-4 days. That is enough. 

ReplyQuote
Reggie Jones
(@reggie5401)
Registered
October 6, 2017 11:06 am  
Posted by: uc2ostomy

I was using a 1pc at first but I had leaks all the time and since i have been using 2pc system i have had no problems :) 

So i'm 2 piece all the way <3

I have been using a one piece virtually since week #2 of my recovery from the surgery.  What two piece do you use?  I am considering giving them a try.  But I understand that two piece systems are more expensive, and if so, how much more?  If the wear time is longer it may be a wash.  Thanks,

Eric, I have yet to watch your video, but when I get a moment I will do so.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 6, 2017 11:29 am  

Hi Reggie,

Yes, 2pc systems can be more expensive, but the difference depends on the brand.

If you are replacing 1pc systems often (i.e. because the filter cloggs quickly), then it may be cheaper to replace only the bag on a 2pc, rather than the bag and wafer.  That's where you tend to find the cost balancing it out, but it may not be by much.

For maximum cost savings with a 2pc, many people will use bag liners - although they don't work for everyone. They are pennies to replace and you don't have to throw away your ostomy pouch as often. Some info on bag liners can be found HERE.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 6, 2017 11:39 am  

Hi Reggie,

Can,t give you any idea on cost as in the UK we lucky to get supplies free. for me when I was in hospital the stoma nurse showed me different types of both. I opted for the 2 piece as it thought it looked stronger and liked the idea of changing the bag on its own. For me Convatec has been my choice but in one of Erics vids he points out that the way it presses onto the ring can be sore to do on a post op tummy or if the skin is broken. He,s spot on about that but its what I am comfortable and feel safe with it. My thoughts watch the reviews and make a choice and give one of the brands ago. If the shoe fits wear it

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 7, 2017 11:36 am  
Posted by: john68

For me Convatec has been my choice but in one of Erics vids he points out that the way it presses onto the ring can be sore to do on a post op tummy or if the skin is broken. He,s spot on about that but its what I am comfortable and feel safe with it. 

For those who do have trouble clicking the Convatec products, they do offer some kind of "accordion flange" to make it easier to click. 

I haven't reviewed that yet, but it does look like it will work.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
October 7, 2017 1:02 pm  

Berri03 that is a good question about showering with the barrier only on and no bag  . I also use a 2 piece and have never thought  to shower that way . I would also like to know more about it if that's ok to do ? I currently use a shower bag to cover my bag just to keep it drier and it would be great to just take the whole bag off .

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Gimparoo
(@gimparoo)
Registered
October 7, 2017 1:12 pm  

I use the little “mini” pouches BBraun offers for my shower or intimate times, they are so small, and just big enough to keep from messing up my base plate that has happened in showering without a bag, and protects my Stoma...

T11/12 Paraplegic / Colostomate

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 7, 2017 2:28 pm  

showering with the base plate on, that's a brilliant idea

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register