Notifications
Clear all

Protein for recovery from surgery

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@madrikh52)
Topic starter  

I'm not new at being vegan but this will be my first surgery (coming up in a month) as a vegan.

Are there some specific instructions on how much protein is needed during the recovery period and best ways to get it? 

Thanks,

Marci

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hi Marci,

Protein is always a hot topic no matter where you look, and that's mostly because the information you find is all over the place (and the research is still ongoing).

If you have access to a dietitian, you can probably get a target to reach in grams - from what I've read, this can vary from 1g of protein/kg of body weight to over 2g / kg. That would mean someone weighing 150lbs might need 136g of protein or more for optimal wound healing. 

Keep in mind that overall nutrition will be just as important as protein, so focus on high-quality foods if possible. 

I was using a soy-based protein shake to help supplement protein during my recovery, mainly because I wasn't able to eat as much as I should have been. 

There are many high-quality, plant-based proteins. Many will be based on soy or peas. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote