Notifications
Clear all

New Ostomate new to forum

17 Posts
10 Users
13 Likes
(@37uclady)
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone,  I was hospitalized in 2016 when oral medicine was no longer an option to treat my UC. I was perdnisone dependent and started Humira. I had a life threatening drug reaction to the Humira and developed interstital lung disease.  Fortunately I survived having a great Pulmonologist! I underwent a lung procedure and 8 months of aggressive prednisone treatment. After an exhausting 37 year battle with my ulcerative colitis in Jan 2019 I had a total proctocolectomy with an ileostomy. I'm thankful to be here and a part of your forum. Thank you for all of the things you share that I learn from.

God bless you all.  37uclady

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Welcome, 37uclady!

Thank you for sharing your story. That sounds like quite an ordeal! I'm glad you're here and I hope your journey moving forward is a positive one!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

37uclady and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Welcome 37!!

I am relatively new to this site too. It has been very helpful and the members very friendly. 

My situation is sort of the opposite. I went by ambulance to the ER and had emergency surgery to remove my colon and get my ileostomy. Then I was diagnosed with Crohn's/UC. They weren't sure which it was but said they would treat with Humira either way. 

How are things going with your ileostomy so far?  Have you named it? Mine is Squeaky. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

37uclady reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi 37uclady, welcome, it’s been a long road and you have survived the journey. The best for a healthy future 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

37uclady reacted
ReplyQuote
Raine
(@raine)

Welcome to VO I hope you find lots of information and support here.

BTW, it seems we've been on the same path. I was diagnosed with crohns 37 yrs ago and had a proctocolectomy last year.  

Raine

37uclady reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

37uclady...Welcome to this site. I can certainly relate to your long journey. My diagnoses is still being thrown around after 50 yrs. Of trials often by fire!  You are certainly in the right place here.  Chime in any time to ask or to help.  All the best and heal well.

Linda

37uclady reacted
ReplyQuote
(@37uclady)
Topic starter  

Thank you VO and everyone for the warm welcome. I look forward to connecting with each of you as we live the ostomate journey. 

I'm doing well as newer ostomate but in need of some advice. I'm in real need of a stoma guard but I'm not sure which one will work best for me. I developed a parastomal hernia under my ileostomy. It is small and mostly on the top side of my stoma. Never the less it is causing me discomfort.  As a curvy lady now with a small lump I use the small CT18511 Coloplast SenSura Mio Convex Flip 2pcs barrier.         I tried just wearing the Coloplast ostomy belt but it wasn't enough support.  

After seeing my surgeon and being told not to lift more than 15-20 lbs the rest of my life and to wear a parastomal hernia support belt my CWON RN fitted me for the NU-Hope hernia belt. I have been wearing Nu-Hope the belt for the last month but I really don't like the pressure from the Nu-Hope parastomal hernia belt but it is the only support I have. Now that I have my barrier and hernia belt I really need to get a stoma guard that will work with what I use. 

I know how uniquely different we all are but there are so many of us that I'm hoping someone out there similar to me will share which hernia belt with a stoma guard works best for them.                                                                                                                37uclady

ReplyQuote
(@awc19)

Have you looked at Eric's video and article about stoma guards, I am only 2 1/2 months into my ileostomy journey and I ride bikes so I needed a stoma guard. I got the one that is the least expensive but got one of the best reviews. The company was quick to send it and it came with 3 different sizes of collars to accommodate different wafers and bags. 

It is the Sure Guard brand. I don't know if it would work for your situation but if not, maybe one of the other ones he reviews would be right for you.

Good luck,

Alice

Alice

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hi 37uclady, 

Hernias can be complicated on their own, and some improvisation may be required to find something that works for you as both a stoma guard and support band. 

Comfizz has products that come to mind, although, they may not ship everywhere. 

I product like this might be what you are looking for: https://comfizz.com/product/support-belt-15cm-unisex-level3/

1560438076-15cm-support-belts.jpg

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@37uclady)
Topic starter  

VO and Alice thank you for your response. Yes, I watched all of Eric's videos before and some again after my surgery. Thank you Eric for being so open with your life's journey. You are a great source of knowledge and support for ostomates around the world. Thanks to your video on stoma guards I knew exactly what I wanted to order but now I'm looking at what is available with a whole different perspective. Thank you both for your recommendations. I appreciate all of your help.

37uclady

VeganOstomy and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@raspout66)

I am also new to this forum AND ileostomy which I got on January 15 2020 in the Montreal area, Quebec. On January the 6th I was sent in ambulance following a Crohn’s crisis, at least it seemed like so. I thought it would be a 2 days stay... Well, things got out of hand quickly and after numerous problems, including pneumonia and serious infection, my Crohn’s had to be shopped which resulted in me having the ileostomy and... just 1 meter of intestines still in my body! Not fun at 68...

Pierre Racine, Laval, QC

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@raspout66

Welcome to the forums! It's a shame that you had such an ordeal, but I hope that you've been recovering well. Please, feel free to ask any questions you might have as you adjust to this new lifestyle. 

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Raspout66 Welcome, brighter days are ahead.All the best with your recovery. The first while with an ostomy ain’t what it’s gonna be like when you get back to strength ?

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

Hi Pierre, an ostomy takes getting used to, but I found that it gets easier to manage before long (and I am thankful for mine). Best wishes for a speedy recovery, LL

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin-eh)

@awc19

how do you manage the bag not getting in the way of your pedeling?  I find that if my bag bloats in any way it gets in the way so I try and bike first thing in the morning and not eat which is not ideal.

ReplyQuote
(@awc19)

Hi Kevin, I wore my bag inside of my biking shorts and didn't have any problems. I could sort of adjust it so it wasn't right at the joint so my bag didn't interfere with my leg motion. My bag did not bloat up unless I ate something that was a problem for me. I had my ileostomy reversed in October 2019. Life after an ostomy comes with its on challenges as I now have to be concerned where the bathrooms are on every trip and outing. I had my ileostomy for 7 months and by the time I was able to have it gone was when I felt like I was just figuring out how to live with it. This site was a godsend. All the best to you. 

Alice

LLNorth and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@awc19...Hi there! Thank you for chiming in here. Your experience will be helpful to anyone who has  reversal. Please, Don't be a stranger! 

Linda

ReplyQuote