New Ostomate delivery due date Friday  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

ArchieB
(@archieb)
Registered
February 12, 2020 10:44 pm  

@dona

I tried chugging it last time but maybe I'll try a straw and see how that goes.

LK and Tony liked
ReplyQuote
ArchieB
(@archieb)
Registered
February 12, 2020 10:49 pm  
Posted by: @sjlovestosing

Hello Archie and welcome! Like you, I had colorectal cancer and had my anus, rectum, and 17 inches of my colon removed one and a half years ago. I do understand your apprehension in all of this. Aside from delivering my babies, I never had a major operation until I was 61. You'll do fine - if this old scaredy cat got through it,you will too.

In regard to your bum, it will take about eight weeks for that to heal. Be patient and keep coming back here for info and support.

God bless. I'll say a prayer for you.

Stella 😊

I really appreciate that, its great to hear the encouragement that I should be able to overcome this recovery I really hope so.

LK and Tony liked
ReplyQuote
ArchieB
(@archieb)
Registered
February 12, 2020 10:52 pm  
Posted by: @dlkfiretruck

@archieb

Hello, and welcome! Your first ever surgery eh!  A little fear before hand is very normal! If it feels too much, tell the nurses you see before you go to the O.R.,  they may be able to get you a nice little pill to calm your nerves some.  There is certainly no harm in letting them know what your feeling when you get there.   You can try taking some nice slow deep breaths, in thru your nose and out thru your mounth. Close your eyes and try not to think of anything else.  Just the breathing.  Practice at home.  It helps and it works most of the time. 🙃  Nice and controlled.  This has  helped me almost every single time. I don't envy you having to drink that stuff, but,  it's important to clean you out really  well. Drink it all. Don't think about it, just go to it and get er' done! I find drinking it cold,  it goes   down easier. 

I live & had my ileo - stomy surgery in B. C. "Rose" my stoma was tens yrs. old last summer!   Have some fun & eventually choose a name for your stoma!  Tho family and friend support is very highly important, here it's an "experience" kind if support. 

Before or after surgery, here, or in hospital, no question is a stupid question and no need to be embarrassed,  ever.  No with holding info in the hospital, if you feel something is wrong or hurts or you feel feverish, nauseated, be sure and  tell the nurses. This is the first step in a successful  recovery. You are going to do just fine thru all of this and even if you just need to Express frustration or joy, we are here for you! You've got this in the bag! 

Linda..., okay, the bag thing, I know its corny, but,  it fits!!!  Hehe! 😁

One thing I've found is I try to have questions but it's like being in the middle of a high pressure sale...I only think of the best ones after I've already bought the stupid car then I'm mad at myself that I didn't think of the question at the time. 

LK and Tony liked
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
February 13, 2020 7:02 am  

@archieb

A big welcome to the best online community for ostomates anywhere! As I'm fond of saying, this place is a haven.

My colon had to come out because of refractory Crohn's that eventually led to a perforation. My recovery was complicated because of the perforation, not because the surgery went badly. If my experience as a medical transcriptionist serves me, it sounds like they caught your cancer fairly early, which of course is a major silver lining.

I can tell from this thread that I don't have to encourage you not to be shy. Your questions, lamentations, and rejoicing will always be most welcome here. It's plain to see that in you we have a very fine addition the wonderful VO community and to the ostomate community at large.

I've made some great friends here, people whom I count as one of the many blessings of having had my ileostomy.

Support belts and wraps designed for the purpose are generally made to be as comfortable as possible, even if the idea seems odd to you now. I use the Stealth Belt Stingray. My stoma is on the right a bit higher than my navel. The ability to use a Stealth Belt product is one advantage to having your stoma higher than you seemed to envision it initially.

You're about to embark on a whirlwind journey of product choices and life hacks you never knew existed, and there's no substitute for the kind of support you can get from fellow ostomates who are grizzled veterans at this fight. We will all take great pleasure at helping you soldier forward. Take full advantage.

If you're interested, here's my VO intro. Again, don't let the complications scare you. They were unique to my kind of case.

Be well.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
ArchieB
(@archieb)
Registered
February 13, 2020 11:34 am  
Posted by: @ileostony

@archieb

If you're interested, here's my VO intro. Again, don't let the complications scare you. They were unique to my kind of case.

Be well.

@ileostony

Thanks Tony, I read your story and it really puts into perspective the challenges and uniqueness we all have in our journey through this life. Makes me feel selfish a bit that I'm hoping for this to be a sprint knowing the marathon others such as yourself have been enduring for years.  

SqueakyandLiza and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
February 13, 2020 11:50 am  

Hi Archie,

I neither think you're being selfish nor begrudge you your desire for this experience to be as painless as possible so you can move forward. You have it in you to succeed, and that's what I hope to communicate with my introduction. No matter how bad off you are, there's always someone worse off, and that certainly applies to someone with a relatively mild disability like blindness. Keep fighting.

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
February 13, 2020 11:51 am  

Hello Again... one thing I forgot to mention🤷‍♀️....I cheated 😊on the yuk stuff drink &  took dulcolax before hand🤫...when the pipes 💩were running *very* 💦clear I was able to stop drinking yuk stuff! But, you never heard🙉 that here and I certainly never told🙊 you to do this.🙈🙉🙊 It is also not something Eric would advise🤦‍♂️. This was just my 🙃little experiment. Your having a colostomy...you will likely have to drink 😜yuk stuff again, butt, the trip will be shorter. Lol! 

Also, about your questions.  Keep a journal of what you need to ask. Allow room for answers and never be shy telling the doctor you wrote them down.  Open your journal and ask away.  Take it to the hospital, This will help after surgery also when you may need help discovering what food did what to you, or, caused this sort of thing when foods  never had caused issues with this before.  

After surgery when you see you doctor or need to ask a question, make notes on  what you discussed, and the answers to your questions.   You may not know how pain killers like demerol or morphine can make you feel so ask about what you may feel with them in your  system too.  You can likely  count on meds. making you feel a tad loopy, sleepy, forgetful or even  anxious.  Let the nurses know if you feel like that so they can guide you thru it.  

Have a great day, go for  a nice long walk and relax a bit. All the best and heres hoping for a speedy recovery! Keep in touch and let us know how your doing!                Well, at this moment, thats all  I have in my bag. Hehe! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
February 13, 2020 1:46 pm  

Hey Archie,

Good luck with the four hour chug. MUCH better than the split prep....just get it done.

You would not be normal if you didn't have some fear and anxiety going into this. Everybody does. Its all so new and scary. This is a positive step. You can do it.

The night before my surgery I had a good talking to MYSELF. So I'd remember how I was 'before'.  Sick and scared. I told myself that I could ,  in the future feel bad about the fact that I had gotten sick. ( a little self pity has its place sometimes..in private) , but I could NEVER EVER  feel bad about the FIX. 

AND, I managed to hear my message to myself later, and believe it. I still do.

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
Smended
(@smended)
Registered
February 13, 2020 3:11 pm  

@archieb

Hello Archie 3 months ago I had a foot and half of my colon removed, my anus and rectum due to Colon Cancer. I am a 65 and  other than children never had surgery before, so I understand how you feel! I like the website for all the information. I have inly posted once before But I am always in it reading and learning. For me the hardest part in the healing was the rectum, I was too uncomfortable to sit a lot and the cushion recommended by others did not help in fact made it worse for me. So I stood a lot and got out and walked a lot. I like being active so I found that helpful! It took about 8 -10 weeks, so hang in there. I am also still trying to find the best appliance set up for me, I find that is taking time due to many reasons but my ostamy nurse is great so I will get there. I have also learned to be ready for the unexpected  and just take one day at a time. Also i am scheduled to have a colostomy in a few weeks, so It should prove interesting! Luckily I have a good supply if bags! Hang in there you will get through this! 

ArchieB and Tony liked
ReplyQuote
ArchieB
(@archieb)
Registered
February 13, 2020 5:48 pm  

I finished the prep, now I'm just drinking water and juice for the rest of the eve and getting ready to pack for the hospital. Told my family just eat supper don't feel that you have to hold back because I have too. As a family we talked about what I want for outcomes, I said the first goal is as it always was save my life, I'd rather have all the plumbing removed if it means that they get all the cancer and lessen the chance of recurrence etc. Secondly if the surgeon goes in and thinks there is a small chance where I don't need a colostomy but I end up having to run to the bathroom 10 or more times a day then I'd rather stick with the primary objective listed first. When I was first told that it was cancer my thoughts were cut it out and cut it out now and please god give me a second chance to do better..... and I am constantly reminding myself those thoughts and words.

As the time grows closer on this day before surgery I'm finding strength to let go of the fear and replacing it with tomorrow starts a new chapter (hopefully with good news). I'm more than touched by the support I've received both online (here) and with my family and friends thank you. 

I will definitely post an update as soon as I'm able after I'm in recovery.

LK, SqueakyandLiza, john68 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
February 13, 2020 6:40 pm  

Hi Archie, Very best wishes and God Bless. 💪👍

ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
February 13, 2020 7:19 pm  

Hi Archie,

You've got this! See you on the other side. 🏋️

SqueakyandLiza and LK liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
February 13, 2020 9:30 pm  

Hi Archie,

Yay for the prep being done.  You are over one big hurdle!!  Now to put your nerves at ease--for my last scope, after the prep was done, I tried to focus more on how hungry I was after not eating for 2 days, than on the procedure ahead.  And what I was going to eat when I was able.  It helped a little.  🍔🍟🍰🥡🥟🌮  Well darn, now I’ve gone and made myself hungry. 🤣🤣

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
February 14, 2020 6:01 am  

Hey Archie...I was thinking earlier, what a nice ❤ Valentines  gift to yourself and your family ❣

I'm sure your in  great hands and I will be praying for you and those in charge of your care  today and in the days to come.

All the best....

Linda

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
February 14, 2020 7:29 pm  

Hey Archie.  I'm thinking about you.  Hope it all went well.

ReplyQuote
ArchieB
(@archieb)
Registered
February 15, 2020 10:54 am  

Well I made it, really sore both on my abdominal area and bum. I haven't been out of bed yet but maybe will attempt later today. Coughing hurts and the butt wound feels like a bad burn. Surgery went well took about 3 hours. Will post more in a bit just wanted to squeeze in a quick update and thank you all for your encouragement and stories.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
February 15, 2020 11:00 am  

Good lad Archie, yer a real trooper 👍

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
February 15, 2020 11:09 am  

Thanks for the update Archie. I’m glad you made it through surgery okay and I hope your healing goes well. 

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
February 15, 2020 11:14 am  

Good on ya, Archie!  I hope the recovery goes smoothly.  Take care!

Glenn

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
February 15, 2020 1:29 pm  

Good for you, Archie! I knew you could do it. (Of course, a few prayers were sent up for you.)

I realized after reading your post that I didn't have any pain in the bum area after my operation, because I was given a spinal anesthetic.  It was sore a few days later and the soreness cleared up after the wound healed, whick took about eight weeks.

Here's hoping you are up and about soon.

God bless,

Stella

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: