Community Forums

Hi, New to this forum  

RSS

JM1346
(@jm1346)
Registered
February 12, 2019 4:37 pm  

Hi, I'm John a 62 year old guy going on 2 years with my Ostomy. Mine was not a result of a prediagnised condition, but rather a sudden vowel blockage. It started while I was at work doing a night shift. U started experiencing abdominal pain so severe I could not stand up straight. I left work and my wife took me to the hospital. After an initial assessment they gave me meds for pain, and did and abdominal CT scan. The only thing they could find was a bilateral inguinal hernia. At this point the only symptom was the pain so I was discharged with pain meds and another med to help with stomach issues. This was on Friday morning and I had a surgical consult scheduled for the following Monday. When I got home there was some discomfort but not the pain  I had previously experienced. I was told to eat very lightly for a few days, so I ate soup and a grilled cheese sandwich, that I kept down and it caused no other discomfort. Everything seemed to be getting better until Sat night when I started vomiting and having bloody diahrea. My wife took me back to the hospital, where the found my blood pressure very low. I was transferred to the main hospital where the surgeon was awaiting me, and an emergency surgery was done on Sunday morning. The surgeon found a blockage and the transverse colon had become necrotic, so it was removed and a colostomy placed. I was kept in a coma until Monday morning. I spent 4 days in the ICU before being moved to the regular ward. Spent a total of 9 days in the hospital. The surgeon told me that he had some worries about me surviving the surgery. Today I am comfortable with my Ostomy, and can attribute that to what I have learned from other Ostomates in support groups of forums like this. 

LK, john68, Dona and 1 people liked
john68
(@john68)
Registered
February 12, 2019 5:07 pm  

Hi john, Great name!! Welcome to the forum. You have been on quite a journey, glad to here you are comfortable where you are now. Support helps by learning and then giving back 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

JM1346, LK, VeganOstomy and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 12, 2019 6:13 pm  

Welcome to the forums, John! That's quite the story! Thank you for sharing it.

Please, make yourself comfortable and enjoy the forums 😊

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LLNorth, JM1346, LK and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
February 12, 2019 6:43 pm  

Thanks for joining the forums. Its great to have more people and more stories. We all have different experiences and that really makes us all stronger.

Hope to hear more from you and I am happy to hear you have had a good recovery from your illness and have adapted to this  life saving surgery. It really does help to 'talk' to others.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

JM1346, LK, john68 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
February 13, 2019 9:04 pm  

Welcome here John...A blockage is what set my 13 month hospital stay into action. Trust your gut with pain.  I am glad that you survived all of that. I ended up with about several surgeries during that stay and a nice bout of peritonitis to boot. Then several months later another hospital stay and much shorter, I rec'd my ostomy. I am 60 and have healed so well from all of that. I do not miss the usual scenario around bathrooming for sure.  You had a life saving surgery and you appreciate it I am sure. Glad you have great support at home. Eric has done an awesome job making so very many topics and info available to all. I know that even 8 years after my ostomy, I still learned so much from everyone and those amazing videos he has put together.  All the best to you.

LindaK

Linda

JM1346 liked
ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register