Community Forums

First Post  

RSS

TrishW
(@trishw)
Registered
10/05/2019 1:38 am  

Hello. I am new to the forum. I had my surgery on April 15. I went to the ER the night before thinking that I was having another bout of diverticulitis. I was going to go home with the typical regimen of antibiotics but then ended up being admitted into the hospital. I do not remember much after that. At some point in the morning sepsis set in. My surgeon went in hoping to remove a part of my bowel but ended up removing the entire colon. There was no blood flow and gangrene had set in. I woke up in ICU having been intubated, with tubes in my nose and my hands strapped to the side of the bed. I was eventually moved to a room in the hospital where it was explained to me just how fortunate I was to be alive. I had a large midline incision and a stoma. After almost two weeks I was released to the ARC - Acute Rehabilitation Center - where I stayed for a week and then was released to go home with home nursing. I had, and continue to have, wonderful care. I have great support from family and friends. I am indeed grateful as I embark on my new life as an ostamate. I look forward to learning from the experiences of other forum members. I have watched several of the videos posted by Eric and really appreciate the time and effort put into them. 

Sasquatch, LK, Dona and 2 people liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
10/05/2019 3:54 am  

Welcome to the forums, Trish! 

Thank you for sharing your story. That's a lot to go through, but I'm really happy to hear that you have support around you. 

Make yourself at home here 😊

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and Dona liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
10/05/2019 6:41 am  

Hi Trish, welcome and all the very best wishes for moving forward 👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK, VeganOstomy and Dona liked
ReplyQuote
IleosTony
(@ileostony)
Registered
10/05/2019 7:19 am  

Hi Trish,

Welcome. I just joined this community myself a few days ago and have nothing but fine things to say about it. Everyone here has been incredibly kind and supportive to me, as I'm certain we all will be to you. Ask your questions. Share your concerns. Air your frustrations. You're not alone.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

LK, VeganOstomy and Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
10/05/2019 10:55 am  

Hello Trish and welcome,

You really had a lot to go through and an abrupt introduction into Ostomyland.

Glad you found us. I think we all have found real help here. Ask any questions and know you will have support here. Pretty soon, you will be the one giving the support. Be well.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
10/05/2019 4:35 pm  

Trish...Welcome. My goodness, what an experience. If they did not explain why your hands were restrained...you may have tried to pull the tubing out and they wanted to prevent that. I am so glad you survived and you already know the importance of support from those around you. Here, you have more of it! Eric has done an amazing job and there is tons of great info and words of encouragement when and if you need it! Just ask! Be well, heal and take baby steps. 

Linda

IleosTony liked
ReplyQuote
heirloom
(@heirloom)
Registered
13/05/2019 4:06 pm  

Hello, I'm a newbie too,to this site.  Not much support in my area, I appreciate this site.....so much to learn.......

LK, john68 and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
IleosTony
(@ileostony)
Registered
13/05/2019 4:10 pm  

Hi Heirloom,

Welcome to the community. What Eric has created and what he and the other members maintain is nothing short of a haven. I encourage you to search the forums for specific info and by all means post a new topic if you can't find the info you want. We're all glad to help each other here.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

LK, john68 and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
13/05/2019 4:22 pm  

Welcome, Heirloom! If you feel comfortable about it, I invite you to create a new topic with your introduction. We've love to hear your story if you are ok with sharing how you got here. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK, john68 and IleosTony liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
13/05/2019 4:36 pm  

Hi Heirloom, welcome yep their is a lot to learn and Veganostomy is a great place to do it 🎓

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
13/05/2019 4:38 pm  

Welcome, lots of good information and lots of good people here.  From your post, it seems you have a good mindset, that is a huge part of the battle that you've already won.  

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

VeganOstomy and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
13/05/2019 6:57 pm  

heirloom...Welcome!  How long have you had your stoma and what got you one? I had mine about 8 years before I even thought to seek anyone with them and then on the computer of all places, imagine my surprise. I am not computer literate, but Eric made this so easy to get around.  As you found, the information is immense and you will find the support almost necessary, no BUTTS about it.  Before this site, I had not talked about what I went thru or how I felt about it all to anyone, for 8 years.  Same as you, lack of support and for me, a very small town. No Stoma Nurse back then. It seemed not one soul stood still long enough to show they even cared, let alone were interested, and It is not something you share with the average Joe in the grocery store. As a new widow,  illness kept me at home.  Sharing a similar story to get the human aspect of ostomies is vital to survival.  Eric puts so much work into this site, we are lucky his family shares him with us all. Do not be a stranger, If you want, share the secrets and tricks you may have learned.  This is the best move I have ever made! If you were down, you are on the way up.

Linda

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register