Community Forums

Colorectal cancer and ostomies  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

Kerby
(@lkerby33)
Registered
30/04/2018 9:41 am  

Good morning Stella!  🌝 I had stage 3 colon cancer, had surgery last Nov. I to had my rectum removed and Colostomy. It was an adjustment. In time, it all came together. I was very very sick. I'm happy to say I have my 71st Birthday coming up in May.  This time, I can enjoy it. I feel better than I have in a couple years. I wish you the best. Attitude is everything. None of us wish this upon us but I'm thankful I had an option, some don't. I met alot of great People during my cancer treatment. I'm lucky, very lucky. Keep a sense of humor, and know that there's lots of help out there just ask. God Bless 

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
30/04/2018 5:32 pm  

Thank you so much. I appreciate your getting in touch. I am so glad that things worked out for you as well.  You are right about having a sense of humor - it does help. The more you laugh, the more endorphins you release in your body. Also, it just makes you feel darn good!

I am just about looking forward to my ostomy - my discomfort, though not as bad as some, has really put a cramp in my style (no pun intended here!). Also, I just want the cancer out! I will be seeing the surgeon for a brief pre-op visit and an ostomy nurse as well next week. I just had a visit with the radiologist/oncologist today and will be seeing the medical oncologist next week. I am feeling very hopeful that, though my cancer is stage 2A, that the surgeon will be able to get it all. The doctor I spoke with today showed me pictures of my MRI and said that it was quite possible. I keep praying!

Stella

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
30/04/2018 5:36 pm  

Thank you Bob. I don't know how I missed your post, but am grateful for your reply. I am glad that your chemo and radiation went so well. I have been doing alot of praying and thinking, and so far, I have hopes - as I have mentioned in my previous posts - that the doctor will get all the cancer during surgery.

God bless,

Stella

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Registered
30/04/2018 6:59 pm  

It is possible to have just surgery, with no chemo, it would depend on what they would find inside.

We both, and a lot of others got a new lease on life, and for that we should all thank the good lord.

Dan

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
30/04/2018 7:16 pm  

Hello Stella,

Good wishes for your upcoming surgery.

You may already have this covered but I just wanted to add that its great you are going to see an ostomy nurse prior to the big event.  The nurse will probably be choosing a place for your stoma. This is a very good thing. I think those of us that have this done tend to get a better outcome. If they don't mark you , be sure and ask why. Its a bit scary, but also a big step forward. They need to place the stoma  so it isn't in any folds on your belly ( not saying you have any, ha). They do it while you are sitting up. Also with respect to where your belly button is  or any other scaring etc so you can get a good seal later. ( and at this point you can rejoice and be happy you are a woman without a hairy stomach.. a very good thing. I never thought of it until I saw Eric having to shave and tweeze).

I admit I was very frightened the first time I saw the bag and wafer stuff. you WILL get over it, just buck up for that experience. Its all to the good, but it sure makes everything real.

The nurse chose the spot and put a big X on my belly with a felt pen and then taped it over with waterproof tape so the surgeon would have the right place.

X really marks the spot. 

Sorry I have rambled on. I will be thinking good thoughts for you.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Kerby
(@lkerby33)
Registered
30/04/2018 8:01 pm  

The Nurse marked my Stoma spot but Doctor re-marked. He did school job of placing it.. 

ReplyQuote
AMS
 AMS
(@yittleone)
Registered
01/05/2018 12:32 am  

I have stage 3c colorectal cancer.  I have  barbie butt now and a permanent colostomy.  When people ask me about my bag I tell them that the bag saved my life.  Life with cancer was horrible and limiting.  Life with the bag is an adjustment but freeing.

My diagnosis was initially stage 1.  I had surgery right away based off of that.  After surgery I was stage 3c because they found cancer cells in 7/22 lymph nodes.  They are treating me like I am stage 4 and I am going through 12 treatments (every two weeks) of FOLFOX.  I'm currently on treatment 7/12. My 6th treatment knocked out my immune system so I had to delay for two weeks (and turtle for those two weeks).

I find I have to just take one day at a time.  I take what is thrown in my direction, process it, rage at it, cry at it and then laugh at it and move on.

Hugs getting the diagnosis isn't fun. But you can have fun in the ensuing months.

The bag is actually really hilarious when I'm gassy.  I can't control it at all and it has often been comic relief in very serious times.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
01/05/2018 7:40 am  

Thanks to all who responded! 

Dona, you were very informative and helpful about the ostomy nurse. (And no, you weren't rambling!)

To "Kerby", thanks for letting me know about your experience concerning the placement of the stoma. The surgeon I have is supposed to be tops in our area, so I am hoping that if the ostomy nurse places the stoma makings in a good place, that he will recognize it. (I  guess it does depend on what he finds after he opens me up.)

To "AMS", I will pray that you can get through your treatments with as little discomfort as possible. Hang in there!!!

Stella

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
01/05/2018 4:33 pm  

Stella, you have done a great job up till now..  Now- the waiting part is the hardest.  I think that your ready to accept your stoma well. It may have issues, but ask away-- We are not text book, we have found different ways to make such adjustments.  Your into the good weather now, and so, enjoy your fast healing, and you will be better off than you are now.. I am sure that u have read what to eat and how to eat more and more during your healing.  Your stoma will change shape bla bla. I wish I had all of this blog instead of just the nurse.  I a counting the days and please remember that I will be thinking of you !!  Best foot forward!! Marcie.. :-)

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Songbringer
(@songbringer)
Registered
02/05/2018 4:34 pm  

Hello all! Glad I saw this topic. Can anyone describe the symptoms/signs of colon cancer? Suspecting/worried I may have it. Thanks! :)

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
11/05/2018 7:39 am  

Hi everyone,

It's been a busy couple of weeks for me - this week in particular. I am preparing to go in for surgery this Tuesday. I met with my surgeon this week and feel confident in his expertise. He wrote the book on stoma operations - literally! In fact, Dr. Peter Cataldo wrote two books on the subject. He is an advocate on creating small stomas and has discovered a way to keep the swelling to a minimum - which has been proven to work. He also feels he has a chance of removing all the cancer, though there are some challenges in the process.

I also met with my colostomy nurse, who has made me feel more comfortable about my colostomy. I might add, Eric that she is a huge fan of yours. I mentioned that I've been using your web site for information and resources and she said, "I love that website!" She had nothing but praise for it an for you. She also recommended the Holister system.  She also said that I had a wide muscle area for my stoma, which is a good thing. She placed the colostomy bag on the area where is should be placed and had me wear it the rest of the day to see what I thought. She will continue to  educate me after surgery as well. 

I met with the pre-op nurse who discussed my preparation for surgery. In many ways it is daunting, as this is my first surgery, but I know that I am being uplifted in prayer and by God Himself.

God bless you all and thanks to all of you, especially Eric, for all your support and information.

Stella

LLNorth, VeganOstomy, john68 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
11/05/2018 9:05 am  

Hi Stella, Its great that you have so much preparation for the surgery. Having a good team which you can have confidence in makes the process easier. Am sure this has been covered but make sure a good flat site is picked for the stoma. test wearing the bag will have given you an idea. Every one will be thinking of you and all the very best. any questions you are unsure of ask the staff and on the forum. some times its easy to listen when being told and then later may be have a question ye never thought of spring to mind.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
11/05/2018 10:04 am  

Good morning Stella,

Just wanted to wish you well in the upcoming  surgery. It sounds like you have a great medical team and you are well prepared and ready for this. If you are like I was, you will be approaching this with a since of relief!  My husband told me that the first thing I said when I came out of the sedation was " happy". I remembered feeling both gratitude and relief.

I will be thinking of you!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
11/05/2018 1:26 pm  

Hello John and Dona,

Thanks for your encouragement! My hope in all of this is first, that the surgeon will get all the cancer; second, that I will heal relatively quickly; third, that I adapt well to my new life as an ostomate. I am so grateful that life as an ostomate will not be the end but a new beginning!

God bless!

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
11/05/2018 2:36 pm  

Stella, it sounds like you have a team of all-stars working for you!! Great to hear that!

It's funny that your stoma nurse is a fan of the site - I love hearing stuff like that :)

Best of luck to you next week! Remember that these forums are open 24/7 if you need us :) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Malsgal86
(@malsgal86)
Registered
12/05/2018 1:26 pm  

Praying that all goes well for you. Sounds like you have a great team on your side. 

God when you choose to leave mountains unmovable oh give me the strength to sing it is well with my soul

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
12/05/2018 4:43 pm  

Thanks so much for your prayers! Yes, I am a little nervous, but by the grace of Almighty God, I will get through it.

God bless!

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
30/01/2019 11:25 pm  

Hi Stella, My name is Linda and our stories are similar. My surgery was last April 30, just a short time before yours. I hope that things are going well for you. This is my very first post on this website!

I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
Kerby
(@lkerby33)
Registered
30/01/2019 11:58 pm  

I'm so sorry ..I just received your reply from last April ? Wow. I'm not sure why. I will check my settings. I hope all went well for you. Keep in touch. :)

LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
31/01/2019 7:21 am  

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the site!  You are going to find a wealth of info here and a great deal of support from the other ostomates. It has been a blessing to me.

Yes, things are going very well.  I feel better than I have in years! I have adapted  to my new self - though there are some things I can't do as I'd like - no doing the Cha-Cha-Slide with all its hopping! However, I am able to do the things I enjoy like walking, yoga, and snowshoeing. Hope all is well with you, too.

God bless,

Stella

LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register