Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Ultrasound

Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
Topic starter  

Yay me, I get to go for an ultrasound of my abdomen to take a look at my liver and spleen tomorrow morning.  Has anyone else had one with their ostomy?  I assume from what I read I will have to change it afterward, but thought I'd throw this out there, see if anyone has been through this. 

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered

Hi Sasquatch,

I had a couple of these before my ostomy surgery. They were done back when I was on immune suppressants for the UC. Some of the drugs I was taking or being injected with  drugs harm the liver I think. I have not had this done after I had my ostomy.  (I am not even sure what the spleen does, mine was to check my liver).

The ultra sound was very easy and totally non invasive , you just have to lie still while they press the wand thing over you. At least the kind I had.

Good luck! Let us know.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Good luck tomorrow. 

I think an ultrasound is probably the only test I haven't done, but I've seen many being given and it should not be a huge problem for you. 

Personally, I'd fast the night or morning before (so make sure that my stoma isn't active). And of course, make sure to empty your pouch before your test.

Let us know how it goes - I'm sure you'll have more insight for us ;) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered

Been there, done that. Noninvasive . Only negative is wiping off the gunk from your belly. 

Operator will not tell you anything.  She will tell you that the doctor will tell you. It is SOP.

Ultrasound is a very good tool for diagnosis but it does have its shortcomings. No worry. 

Z

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
Topic starter  

The ultrasound was no trouble, I just taped up the edge of my wafer before I went.  I won't know anything until the hematologist looks at it.  Hopefully he can give me some answers when I go back to see him.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered

An enlarged liver - A.k.a. Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver is common with inflammatory bowel disease. There is no cure but watching your sugar intake helps . Also avoid alcohol.

ReplyQuote
kiya
 kiya
(@kiya)
Registered

I do have NAFLD (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease) (though not too serious) and when I had my ultrasound, I did not have to do anything with my pouch.  Bubbles is right in suggesting that you should 'watch your sugar intake'.  I do not drink at all and in my case, in an attempt to gain weight, I ate lots of honey, every day, for a few years!  I learned later that fructose (which is the main sugar in honey) is especially bad for your liver as fructose, unlike glucose, is metabolised almost completely in the liver and that fructose has the same effects on the liver as alcohol.  Limiting not only sugar but carbohydrates in general also helps (which I find very difficult as I eat very little animal foods).

kiya

ReplyQuote