Notifications
Clear all

Thick and Thin output  

RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
April 4, 2018 2:49 pm  

Hi All, When I left hospital my output was very watery, now I know that is to be expected. but when I asked would it change I was told it should look like toothpaste. Having a good type of output leads to an easier time but its sometimes it not that simple. different foods will have different effects. The Pancaking issue can be helped by making out say more loose it could be done by drinking fruit juice. starchy foods like potatoes will thicken. I know it tempting to take laxatives but not a good thing to be doing. So for me Spuds and prune juice are 2 good ways to help. Lots more ways so what do you do?

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
April 4, 2018 5:20 pm  

Makes me feel like an "Alter Kacker" to drink prune juice, but it is very healthy to drink.  My drink of choice is Tea. lots and lots of tea , a gallon a day. if I get tired of the flavor, I switch to coffee or cranberry juice.

{i just resurrected my old computer and i can't type any better than this}

Drinking as much as I do, there is usually no issue with pancaking.

Z

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 4, 2018 10:23 pm  

I would argue that with an ileostomy  "toothpaste" consistency is annoying to empty. My ideal output is what I would describe as "slightly loose oatmeal" 😂

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
April 5, 2018 3:11 am  

I drink tea all day as well, even working outside and then leave the cup behind me drives my wife mad. Yep that toothpaste is hard to move and clean the opening! managing a colostomy must be a whole different ball game.

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
April 6, 2018 5:28 pm  

Hey everybody  . I eat a lot of starchy foods and cheese etc. And I wear a wrap except for bed . I do get some thicker output but not all the time and I'm sure  the wrap probably doesn't help at all . But I drink probably  a gallon or so of water a day some V-8 (now thanks to you Z) and yes maybe a couple beers . But at night I always have about 6 ounces of juice grape or cran grape or cran raspberry these all seem to work for me and thin things out . Mine is usually more like the oatmeal thing rather than toothpaste but often is liquidy . I definitely recommend  juice . 

Subtotal colectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
April 6, 2018 5:46 pm  

Hi Robert, Ye have the right idea, we should be using natural methods to regulate our output. the use of laxatives or pills to thicken is just not a long term solution.

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
April 6, 2018 6:16 pm  

Robert, I eat 1/2 a can of pineapple chunks, and 1/2 pint of cottage cheese around 9 p.m. and some during the day-- For me? this helps -- tastes great, tummy feels great, and I get the natural juice too-  

Gallon of water?  That would run right through me -- Your lucky!! I drink 50 ounces of water, gran-apple juice, o.j. tea, All in moderation tho.. but I get it in.. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
April 8, 2018 12:32 am  

Okay,  okay.  To each,  his own. I guess that it is a personal balancing act. 

I just went through 8 days of eating matzoh. Believe me,  without liquids, i would've been in trouble. Fortunately,  I drink water and wine and juices galore and it all worked out in the end. Even lost 2 lbs.

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
April 9, 2018 4:33 pm  

Hey there John . I agree with ye Lad  on the laxatives and pills . Before I received Norman I practically lived on Imodium just so I could go anywhere . I haven't had any since getting Norman actually a little afraid to try it anyway worried it might cause blockage . But I do think its better to stay away from that if possible .

Subtotal colectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

Zvitusk and john68 liked
ReplyQuote