Notifications
Clear all

Stoma Appliance Colostomy  

RSS

Cyrisse
(@cyrisse)
Registered
February 27, 2020 11:23 am  

Have a parastomal hernia with prolaspe. Was advised to wear a hernia belt for support. Okay, the prolaspe can sometimes be up to 3 ½ inches across. Hernia belt from Nu-Hope has two holes in it to make it tighter or looser was the Nu-Hope  support belt with has two holes in it , I imagine allows for the belt to be looser or tighter.  Problem I face is that the ostomy bag goes thru nice but because of the prolaspe it does not cover the area, prolaspe still can be  seen under clothing , out so what good is this ?  Maybe I am making this more complicated than it is. Next question is for the ladies, do you wear your bag inside your underwear or out of the underwear in a brief cut under wear. I fold the bag a little at the bottom in the underwear now . Thx friends. 

Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
February 27, 2020 1:07 pm  

Hi Cyrisse,

Second question first,

I wear lightweight microfibre briefs ( bali or jockey). Not too 'old lady' looking ( though I am one!).

I where the bag inside, and also fold the tail end under just a bit. I wear a two piece appliance  ( Hollister) and attach it at a slight angel so it doesn't hand straight down. Hangs more towards my center. tucks in nicely that way.

First question,

I had a parastomal hernia too, and ended up needing a repair. Bit of thing to go through, but its been great ever since. 

Never had a prolaspe.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Cyrisse
(@cyrisse)
Registered
February 27, 2020 2:01 pm  

Dona u r too funny ! Hard for me to believe I will b 65 in a few months. I wear my appliance the same way. I like the microfiber briefs too, need to try those again maybe in a bigger size. Not looking forward to this double surgery(Reversal and hernia repair) in August. I can get a custom made belt, one but it is $$$$. The prolaspe don't hurt me, it's just that u can see the bulge in my outfits. Thx for your reply.

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Registered
February 28, 2020 8:33 pm  

Hi Crysse,

I had a prolapse twice, 1st just a few months after the surgery, and a year later again, and 2 things you should know about it (if you are going to repair it, or not), DO NOT lift anything heavy (for me it is nothing over 20 LB), when the stoma extend out like that, laying down flat on your back for about 20 minutes, it will crawl back in to where it came from. When it's done roll out of bed, if you sit up, it would be back out before you stand up even.

You are lucky, you will get it all reversed in a short time, mine is for life time.

As for your second problem... sorry can not help you (Male here).

Good luck, you are in the right place here, Eric is the best, and everyone just wants to help.

Dan

Dona and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Cyrisse
(@cyrisse)
Registered
April 4, 2020 7:40 pm  

Thx for your response. Sorry it took so long to thank you. I have not been on the board lately. Yes the plan is to repair the prolapsed stoma , reversal and the parastomal hernia in 8/2020 . Given the awful situation that we all r in now, probably it will b later, which is fine. Again thx and stay safe😉

ReplyQuote
Cyrisse
(@cyrisse)
Registered
April 4, 2020 7:46 pm  

Thx for your response! Yes it will b a big surgery to do the reversal, repair the parastomal hernia and fix the prolapsed stoma. Was planning to have this done in the summer like August but due to the virus stuff now it will probably be later, which is ok. I will b going in to c the surgeon sometime b4 then to get a real sense on what will need to b done. Sorry for such a late reply. Please stay safe.

Dona liked
ReplyQuote