Clear all

Side sleeper  

RSS

Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Registered
July 4, 2020 2:06 pm  

Ever since my surgery, when sleeping on my side it feels like my intestines or whatever else inside that area slides over and gives an uncomfortable pulling in lower abdomin..like filling the space.   It  feels uncomfortable anybody else experiencing this?

john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 4, 2020 2:26 pm  

Could it be the bag pulling that’s giving this feeling. If so that’s another job that the wrap can do is give support 

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
July 4, 2020 3:18 pm  

Rick,

I also experience discomfort most of the time when I try to lie on my side. I have always been a side sleeper, so sleeping on my back has been a challenge. I try often to lie on my side, but end up on my back after a short amount of time. My first year after surgery I had a wound pump on my belly, so sleeping on my side wasn’t really an option. I was hoping after getting rid of the pump, I would be able to, but too much discomfort. I do have a very large hernia, so maybe when that is healed???

Sorry I don’t have a solution for you, but you are not alone. 

ReplyQuote
Lynne
(@lynne)
Registered
July 4, 2020 4:42 pm  

Hi Rick.  Does it feel the same no matter which side you try?  I used to sleep on my left side before my surgery, but now with my ileo on the right, I find sleeping on the left feels the way you describe, like things are pulling inside/falling to the left.  I now mostly sleep on a wedge pillow, so on my back but propped up at a bit of an angle, similar to a somewhat raised hospital bed.  I'm used to it now and sleep fine.  Sometimes I do sleep flat on my right side, the side of my stoma.  That doesn't give me the same feeling as if I try the other side.  I've read some people say using a body pillow up against their abdomen helps.  Good luck figuring out what will work best for you. 

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
July 5, 2020 2:30 am  

Directly after surgery, everything inside of me felt kind of "sloshy."  I'm a side sleeper, and I remember feeling like everything would just slosh over to the side.  It was weird feeling.  I'm 7 months post-op now and all of that has gone away.   I sleep on my right side, my bag just kind of lays on the mattress, and I'm very comfortable that way.  

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 5, 2020 1:51 pm  

My sleeping did change over the years since my surgery. It did feel strange at first to sleep on my side (felt like tugging and generally "strange" on the inside), but now I feel very comfortable sleeping on my left side (my bag is on my right side). 

If your bag is tugging during the night, you can try wearing a support belt (the ones that clip onto your bag/wafer) and see if that helps. I do know some people will put a small pillow under their side to support the bag/stomach/hernia, etc., so if that's something you can try, see it how it goes. 

ReplyQuote