Clear all

Had to Share

8 Posts
7 Users
14 Likes
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

I moved to Colorado in 1992 when I was 23.  By the time 1995 rolled around, I was under full assault from a disease that I had never heard of.  About a year later, I was in full remission, and during the next 10 years, I developed a passion for Colorado's high country.  I climbed more than 70 of the highest 100 peaks in the state, including almost all of the 56 or so peaks above 14,000 feet (the beloved 14ers).  By the early 2000's my adversary had returned, and after lots of ups and downs (mostly downs), my body finally cried "uncle" and Ulcerative Colitis had won this battle.  But, the war wasn't over.  In December 2019 after many years of constant symptoms and with the discovery of pre-cancerous cells during a scope, my entire colon and rectum were removed and I said hello to a new, permanent, strange-looking (and sounding) friend in my lower right abdomen.  I can honestly say that I had never been taken to a lower state of physical depletion.  Upon return from my 7-day hospital stay, I couldn't walk 10 feet to the bathroom without help.  Slowly but surely I worked on my strength and endurance.  One of my goals, amongst many others involving my wonderful family, was to return to my passion of hiking the high country of Colorado.  After surgery, I was not certain that would ever be possible again.  Now, I'm almost 7 months post-op, and with the help of my wife and kids, I've busted my back side (which doesn't really have much of a function anymore) to get back into hiking shape.  We've been hiking like crazy this summer, and today as I sat at 13,000 feet elevation taking in the sweet mountain air, I was pretty overcome with emotion.  To all of you out there fighting, you have my full respect.  To those of you struggling, you have my full respect.  We are a family, and I appreciate every one of you.  May we all fight the good fight.  I'm shooting for 14,000 feet by the end of the summer.  Peace.           

1593574504-IMG_7607-copy.jpg

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

Mimi, VeganOstomy, SqueakyandLiza and 2 people reacted
Lynne
(@lynne)

Glenn what an awesomely inspiring and joyous post!  Thanks for sharing.  Wishing you many more glorious hikes!

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Good lad Glenn ? That’s some view! Amazing ? 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Good for you Glenn!!  What a beautiful view! I’m so glad you are able to resume such an important activity. That is great that your whole family is involved and it is something you can all do together. 

I can totally relate to the physical depletion. I had to use a walker for a month or two any time we left the house and couldn’t even get into or out of bed by myself. I needed someone to lift my legs up on the bed. My surgery was an unplanned emergency surgery and the doctor told me they gutted me like a fish, so my abs were completely shot.  When I start feeling despondent, I remember how far I have come since then.  ?

Keep hiking and I’m sure you’ll hit the 14k!!

From a fellow Gen X’er ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

So beautiful. The words and picture.  Its so wonderful you got back back to a full life after so much hardship. I too have never looked back after loosing my malfunctioning parts.

The wow moment for me , was getting back into the ocean ... ahhhhhh.

Thanks for sharing.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Thank you for sharing that, @glenn-giroir! 

As someone who is incredibly drawn to mountains (yet lives nowhere near any), I can understand how it feels to witness such beauty and I'm glad that you've been able to do that again. 

Visiting Colorado is on my bucket list ;) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

Drop me a line if you come to Colorado.  You'll have a place to stay and a tour guide.  ?

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)

@glenn-giroir

So glad you had to share. Lovely to read your story, and how your love of the mountains has got you back out there. Fantastic photo, and it sounds pretty amazing where you are.

Best wishes.

Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can. - John Wesley

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote