Want to join the forums? Register HERE for instant access.

Already have an account? Login below:

Re Canadian insurance  

RSS

Chris
17/06/2017 2:14 pm  

I read the article on Canadian support and I have a dumb question. I've never had any type of insurance in my life so I don't understand the terms.

In the article it says 

I’m with Green Shield Canada and for under $70, they currently cover $1500, $2500 and $5000 (1st, 2nd and 3rd+ year) worth of ostomy supplies and signed me up after my surgery.

What does that mean? Is that $70 a month and you get those three amounts for three years then it stops? 

I feel like an idiot asking but I 'm just not familiar with any of this and it looks like I'm going to be calling them.

Do you just be up front and say you had surgery and need coverage for these items or do you have to get other services covered? Again, I don't want to call and then put my foot in my mouth because I'm ignorant.

Thanks

Chris

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag MasterAdmin
17/06/2017 5:12 pm  

No question is dumb, especially when it comes to insurance. 

Now, you may want to call them to see if anything has changed but the way it's worked for me is I pay a premium of $70 (it's up to $76 now), and that covers my family for eye care and my ostomy supplies. 

For the part about allowances there are limits ($1500, 2500, 5000) corresponding to how long you've been with them. The first year you get up to $1500 coverage (on medical supplies) and after three years you get max $5000. 

Note, they don't start covering you until you've used up all your government ostomy grant, so there's more than enough coverage for anyone. 

Let me know if you've got any other questions. I've been with them for over three years now. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Chris
17/06/2017 6:43 pm  

Thanks for explaining that to me. Looks like I'll be giving them a call. 

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register