Community Forums

Community Forums

Want to join the forums? Register HERE for instant access.

Already have an account? Login below:

Colostomy Reversal  

RSS

Kae
 Kae
Trusted Member
13/06/2017 10:28 pm  

I've been just lurking for a while, trying to digest all the things happening. In early May I had my colonoscopy, and the Doc said my upper colon (from ostomy) was 'beautiful' and low colon shows signs of colitis, due to the diversion (he believes). So after the scope my Surgeons office called and wanted to see me. I went in two weeks after the scope and we discussed and decided to do the reversal surgery in spite of my fears. The Doc seemed so confident that I am a good candidate for reversal, and aside from weight issues, I have fairly ideal conditions for success.

So... I'm scared about it but sort of excited too. I know it's going to be a tough surgery, and a tough recovery. Surgery is scheduled for Monday the 19th. I'll try to keep ya posted on how things go. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
14/06/2017 12:31 am  

Whoa! Monday? Good luck, Kae!! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Sarah Green
Trusted Member
14/06/2017 12:47 pm  

Exciting stuff. 

Do you know how much colon  and rectum you will have had removed in total?

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
Estimable Member
14/06/2017 3:08 pm  

Kae, Best wishes for a smooth surgery & recovery. Let us know how it went and how you are doing.

How many days do you think you will have to remain in hospital?

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
Trusted Member
14/06/2017 8:11 pm  
Posted by: Sarah Green

Exciting stuff. 

Do you know how much colon  and rectum you will have had removed in total?

I have all my rectum, and the majority of my colon. They removed approximately eight inches of descending/sigmoid colon due to a rupture from diverticulitis. I am hopeful that this will make returning to full plumbing a little easier.

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
Trusted Member
14/06/2017 8:17 pm  
Posted by: Dona

Kae, Best wishes for a smooth surgery & recovery. Let us know how it went and how you are doing.

How many days do you think you will have to remain in hospital?

Not sure. I elected not to have an epidural as my last experience was pretty bad with it. That may mean extra time before I am moving well enough for them to release me. I am guessing it will be similar to the last surgery though, which was... ha, I can't remember! Six or seven days.

ReplyQuote
Sarah Green
Trusted Member
15/06/2017 1:30 am  

With only a small amount of colon removed you should have a relatively easy reversal, just be patient, the colon hates being handled and will take a few weeks to settle. Don't take any Imodium unless prescribed as you don't want to end up constipated 

Hopefully if you poo within a few days you may be out sooner than a week

ReplyQuote
Allison
18/06/2017 2:26 pm  

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick recuperation.

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
Trusted Member
22/06/2017 1:49 pm  

Day three post reversal! 

Passed gass first day and been passing stool for two. Doc bumped me to fill liquid diet. So far the pluming is working and pain is low. Have to be careful passing gas cause sometimes it's more. Lots of gas rumbling around my belly but thankfully not the painful kind.

ReplyQuote
Sarah Green
Trusted Member
22/06/2017 1:51 pm  

Excellent news, hopefully you'll be pooing the old fashioned way in no time

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
22/06/2017 2:06 pm  

Nice, Kae! 

I'm glad to hear that pain is low!

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
Estimable Member
23/06/2017 6:11 pm  

Good going Kae. I am very happy to hear you had a successful surgery and are on the mend.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
Trusted Member
27/06/2017 1:13 pm  

Hi everyone! It's day 9 and I'm doing great. 

The doctors said the surgery went perfectly. They ended up doing a lot to me besides just the reversal. I was told they did not use staples on the colon but that it was hand-stitched (I'm sure there's a label in there somewhere) to ensure I join that would not leak. They removed my appendix while they were in there as a precaution. A small hernia repair was done at the stoma site. I fatty tumor in the muscle lining near my original incision was removed. Stoma site and midline were closed and reinforced with mesh for better healing and less likelihood of hernia in the future.

Recovery has been great. I am blessed with little pain and no complications. All of my previous surgeries and treatments were 'worst case scenario' and this has been nothing but the best. Was passing gas the first day, stool the second. By day five all was pretty normal function wise. I take a little prune juice every day to keep from getting constipated but doc thinks I can stop that once I'm no longer taking any narcotic pain killers.... which should be in the next five days or so.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
Estimable Member
27/06/2017 5:23 pm  

Thats wonderful to hear Kae. It is great that they were able to patch up other stuff too. As you said, they probably attached a label and washing instructions too. ( cool iron if needed).

And, so much better  to Not have to have the surgery in an emergency situation. Also, I am sure you were much healthier all around for this one. Keep healing and thanks for the update. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
28/06/2017 1:08 am  

Holy smokes, Kae! It's like you're a new woman! That's fantastic!!!I'm so glad things turned out way better than you could have hoped for!

Please continue to let us know how you're doing.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register