Community Forums

Prolapsed Stoma Guards  

RSS

Cross
(@cross)
Registered
January 8, 2018 10:18 pm  

Unfortunately my stoma prolapsed a couple a months after surgery and have about 6 inches protruding outside unprotected.   I found out about the seat belt protector, currently out of stock for car protection.

I have been looking for something to protect the protruding stoma during everyday life, to protect me from unexpected blows, falls or falling objects etc.  Has anyone found a company that makes a large guard made for prolapsed stomas?

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
January 8, 2018 11:38 pm  

Wow, that is scary. What has your surgeon said? Doesn't seem to be a situation that can be ignored or just accepted as normal? 

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 9, 2018 3:03 am  

That right sounds like you need to really see about that if you havn,t already. plus may be putting a guard over some thing like that without medical advice could do more harm than good

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 9, 2018 10:57 am  

Hi Cross, 

Welcome to the forums. 

Prolapsed stomas can be incredibly challenging, as you already know. Most stoma guards don't have enough clearance to adequately protect a prolapsed stoma that large, so I don't know of any guards off the top of my head.

Nu-Hope may still offer prolapse support belts, but you'll need to contact them to see what's available. 

I've known people who have prolapsed stomas and they all get revisions. Do you have plans to revise your stoma in the near future? 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
January 9, 2018 7:25 pm  

Wow so sorry that happened to you . Can you tell us what caused it if anything. Like did you strain or lift something heavy . Coughing fit , sneezing attack . Or did it just pop out on its own . Any info you can share can help us all to be vigilant. 

Be well , Bubbles 

Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
Cross
(@cross)
Registered
January 10, 2018 10:04 am  

Bubbles: To answer your question, Prolapsed Stomas can be caused by several issues in what I have learned in recent months.  Sometimes stitching in surgery doesn't hold well, the coughing and sneezing, and getting out of the bad to fast or jerky can prey on that issue. Each case is different.

I have been told that when you sneeze or cough hold your gut or better yet have a small pillow to hold gently against your gut when you feel you may cough.

Secondly, I was told that getting  slowly out of bed gently. is the key to avoid a prolapse stomas from other sources.  A bed assist at home was helpful for me as I am very weak at times and a physical therapy nurse alerted me to this great product and helped me purchase it.  Of course by the time I got it I had prolapsed at home from the hospital.  It still has been very helpful to help me to gently pull myself out of bed.

Search AMAZON for:

AdirMed Height Adjustable Bed Rail - Bed Assist Handle- with Storage Pouch

I was not aware nor told this above info in or leaving Hospital except for sneezing.  Healing takes months after surgery and everyone is different and must be proactive for themselves is the message I have learned. 

VO: Thanks for the tip on the New Hope product.

Zvitusk: Concerning the issue either repair or reattachment in around six months as I am to weak for surgery.  So you might understand why I am looking for a guard issue solution.  I found one member on here that had a prolapsed stoma for four years. 

John68: Surgeon aware of my search for solution.

Edited: 3 months  ago

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 10, 2018 2:34 pm  

Hi Cross, some may say well how can you do harm by getting out of bed, but I can believe what you are saying, I give myself a hernia many years before my ostomy and just by being stupid lifting something way to heavy. the surgeon said most of the hernias he had seen where from folk working in an office. the cause was stepping up on a chair to reach and the act of pulling yer body weight up on one foot is enough to pop one

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
January 10, 2018 3:12 pm  

You're right and really on top of your situation. Glad to meet you. I didn't realize that you are still so weak.

We need to figure out how to strengthen our own selves. Talking helps,  doing helps, empathy really helps me to get up and out and about. 

We also know what does not help. To much to list here,  but you can get the idea. 

Keep in touch.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 10, 2018 9:53 pm  

Cross, My best wishes for your many healings.  I also was very weak..  Truthfully, took me a good year to be awake for a normal day-- HEAR your body.. Sleep well, Eat healthy--P. shakes helped me much-I was to tired to chew for many months..  Blend yogart, fresh or frozen fruits and Orange juice -- ice, blend well and sip slowly to your delight.  You will be fine soon. I know it is a slow go, but it happens.. Marcie........... 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Cross
(@cross)
Registered
January 12, 2018 12:14 am  

VO: I searched out and found that Medline is a source of prolapsed stoma support belts by Nu-Hope

Flat Panel Prolapse Support Belts by-Nu Hope Laboratories

http://www.medline.com/

Marcie:  I am going try try the yogurt shakes and see if that helps.

To everyone, thank you for the helpful information.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 12, 2018 2:24 pm  

Cross, I was thinking.. First thought tho and then you or others can go with it.. to perfect it..

While driving, Cut the end of a tissue box (this material is softer than cardboard- or u may want cardboard) put this over your stoma then the seat belt..  Or maybe just use the full tissue box.. ????????????????????? 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Registered
January 14, 2018 2:04 pm  

Cross, I had a prolapse of my Stoma, the 2nd day after returning to work, it was a frightening experience the first time. It became a regular thing where I got out of bed in the morning, and the damn thing rolled out with in 10 minutes, to approx 6 - 8 inch. I took a picture of it, and showed it to my surgeon, and right away she scheduled a revision surgery, which I went for a month ago. To prevent it from happening again (and it can happen), I am getting what they call a hernia belt with a place for my pouch to go through. Will use it for work, or for doing anything that would put a pressure on the abdomen.

Be aware that if you do not get this fixed, it can cause you a blockage, your Stoma can loose the blood supply (turn black, or real dark red) if it swells a lot, and the wafer is not large enough to give it room, and also if you are using 2 piece pouch, you can by mistake (an I did that twice) pinch the Stoma between the bag and the wafer, and it will bleed for a while.

If you have not seen your surgeon yet, take a picture of it, and show it to him / her, it is not a comfortable thing to live with, and work with, mine was pushing the pouch off when it got really big.

Take care, and I hope you get this fixed soon.

All the best

Dan

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Cross
(@cross)
Registered
January 15, 2018 12:35 am  

Dan,  Thanks for sharing.  My surgeon is aware and views it but  as mentioned above,surgery must wait till I recover.  Cross

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register