Measuring your stoma  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Navey
(@navey)
Registered
May 30, 2017 6:23 pm  

Hi Eric:

You have a video on how often to change appliances and, I am not sure if it was in that video that you mentioned that you measured your stoma before every change of appliance. Can you tell me what steps you take to measure your stoma and transfer the measurements to a template for future use. I have recently found that my stoma has changed and took pictures of it on my iPad. I then measured the stoma from the picture and transferred the measurements to my flange, it was still not a great fit. I don't know how else to try to get the measurements right. Your advice on this would help significantly.

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 30, 2017 6:54 pm  

Hey, Navey. 

I published instructions recently, and I hope they help : https://www.veganostomy.ca/how-to-measure-stoma/

Provided that your stoma is fairly round, it shouldn't be too difficult. 

Let me know if that answers your question. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Navey
(@navey)
Registered
May 30, 2017 9:31 pm  

Hi Eric:

Thanks for the speedy reply and video site, very informative. Unfortunately, I have a small oblong stoma and use a deep convex base plate with a 30 mm guide. The stoma template size I require does not have enough "paper" around it  to allow the oblong cut on either side of the circle that fits my stoma. I'm thinking I will have to supplement a piece of paper around the sides of the template to allow for the oblong shape to be cut. I will give this a try on my next change and cross my fingers I get it right. If per chance I do, then I will use the plastic cover of the baseplate as my template.

It is always reassuring to know you are there to talk to.

berri03 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 30, 2017 10:35 pm  
Posted by: Navey

Hi Eric:

Unfortunately, I have a small oblong stoma and use a deep convex base plate with a 30 mm guide. The stoma template size I require does not have enough "paper" around it  to allow the oblong cut on either side of the circle that fits my stoma.

Ok, so for that type of stoma, I've been told that you'll need to measure half at a time.

Certain paper templates come with half circles (not all brands do), so you could use that then trace half the measurement on your wafer and repeat with the other side of your stoma.  You may need to use different sizes to get the right "fit".

Hopefully, if your stoma doesn't change sizes too often, you can continue to use the plastic backing on the wafer as a new template.

If you don't have any half circles on your stoma measuring guide, you have two options to try:

1. Measure the diameter of the stoma (from top to bottom and side to side) then trace that on your wafer (into a "t" shape) and complete the oblong shape. 
  2. Fold the circle cutouts into half circles and use that to help measure.

If anyone has another tips in this regard, I'd love to hear it! 

ReplyQuote
Sarah Green
(@sarah-green)
Registered
May 31, 2017 7:11 am  

Another option is to use a flange with a mouldable flange, they don't need cutting. You just mould the base of the bag back, you put the bag on and then slowly the base gently closes around the stoma to form a water tight seal. 

Eric has done a review as below. He didn't like this specific bag, but Convatec do different bags and connection types that still have the same mouldable flange, so you can find one that suits you. 

https://www.veganostomy.ca/convatec-moldable-review/

ReplyQuote
Navey
(@navey)
Registered
May 31, 2017 9:30 am  

Thanks Sarah for your suggestion and the video website. I have to agree with Eric that the Convatec wafers are inordinately difficult to put on. My stoma nurse (when I had one after surgery) and I together could not put it together OFF the body let alone trying to put it on. But mouldable certainly sounds like an option I should investigate wit other suppliers.

ReplyQuote
Navey
(@navey)
Registered
May 31, 2017 9:40 am  

I have done as you suggested with the "t" measurements and elongated both sides for a temporary template. On my next change I will see how it fits and, if all is well, I will transfer the template to the flange cover for a more durable template. Will let you know how it works out.

ReplyQuote
Sarah Green
(@sarah-green)
Registered
May 31, 2017 10:23 am  
Posted by: Navey

Thanks Sarah for your suggestion and the video website. I have to agree with Eric that the Convatec wafers are inordinately difficult to put on. My stoma nurse (when I had one after surgery) and I together could not put it together OFF the body let alone trying to put it on. But mouldable certainly sounds like an option I should investigate wit other suppliers.

The trick is to put a little bit of soap on the rings and then they clip together easily. Unfortunately they don't tell you that in the instructions.

Convatec also do ones which stick together like sticky back plastic if you are old enough to remember that stuff

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Registered
June 13, 2017 10:16 pm  

Forgive me if I missed this and you already do it, I'm really tired, but I have an awkward shaped stoma and I use the backing from my most recent change as a template for the new one. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 14, 2017 12:30 am  
Posted by: Kae

Forgive me if I missed this and you already do it, I'm really tired, but I have an awkward shaped stoma and I use the backing from my most recent change as a template for the new one. 

Yes, once you've been able to measure and properly cut your wafer, hold onto that release liner and use it again!

berri03 liked
ReplyQuote
Navey
(@navey)
Registered
June 14, 2017 8:21 am  

It has been a few weeks since I posted about measuring your stoma and, unfortunely have been dealing with considerable leaks since, one week it was four days in a row that I leaked, needless to say I had to get that corrected. I finally got in contact with a stoma nurse who had helped me previously and we have been working on a new template and paste and have hopefully come up with the right fit as I went seven days before a change, not a leak.  Because of the leaks I developed a skin rash under my flange but have it under control now by using Cavillon spray to protect the skin. 

Obviously I did not get my stoma measurement and template correct resulting in the leaks. Fingers crossed I am on the right path now. See my stoma nurse again in a week to reaffirm things.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 14, 2017 10:09 am  

Good luck, Navey! 

When things finally do get settled, I'd love it if you could share the technique you've been using to measure your stoma =)

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
June 20, 2017 11:02 am  

I'm so new to this and know literally nothing yet but would it be possible to take an ekin ring and mould it around your stoma and then just pull it off carefully and trace the outline into a baseplate? 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 20, 2017 11:18 am  
Posted by: Chris

I'm so new to this and know literally nothing yet but would it be possible to take an ekin ring and mould it around your stoma and then just pull it off carefully and trace the outline into a baseplate? 

Not really, because when you pull the ring off, it would lose its shape. For round stomas, the stoma measuring guide (included with nearly every box of wafers) or the previous baseplate template would be more ideal.

There is a project being worked on to get 3D scans and custom wafers developed - it looks really cool, but I'm not sure how well it works for people like me who have an ever-changing stoma.

ReplyQuote
Navey
(@navey)
Registered
June 20, 2017 8:40 pm  

Chris I appreciate your thoughts. I agree with Eric on the use of a ring not holding its shape when you remove it. My stoma nurse made this suggestion today, Take the protective cover off the appliance and centre it over the stoma and trace the stoma outline onto the cover and use this as a template. Using a mirror to do this would be helpful to see the position of the stoma under the cover.

ReplyQuote
Sarah Green
(@sarah-green)
Registered
June 21, 2017 6:39 am  

A two piece bag is often easiest to use for a newbie as you can see what you are doing. Before you taking the backing off the flange, put in on the stoma, have a look in the mirror, you will be able to see instantly if the hole in the flange is too big, wrong shape, or you have put it on at the wrong angle if your stoma isn't round.

Once you can the hang of having a stoma you can then switch to a one piece if that is your preference 

ReplyQuote
stomie2016
(@stomie2016)
Registered
June 25, 2017 2:47 pm  

Hello fellow ostomates,

I have an oblong, sort of irregular shaped stoma, too, so have had some difficulties with cutting my wafer to fit.  I did the diameter measuring than traced onto a template.  But it wasn't quite right, so with subsequent changes I have revised the dimensions and use the last plastic cutout as my template.  It's just taken time.

My question is, on a one-piece system, how easy is it to accurately position the appliance over the stoma so you have a good fit?  With a two piece, you don't have a bag covering it up so you can really see where you are putting the bag.  I've even been positioning the wafer with the covering still on, and marking with lines that go from the edge of the wafer onto my skin so that once I take the backing off, I can position the wafer more accurately.  Cause that stickem really sticks and you can't be pulling it off and on to get a better fit around the stoma.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 25, 2017 4:11 pm  
Posted by: stomie2016

My question is, on a one-piece system, how easy is it to accurately position the appliance over the stoma so you have a good fit?  

It's not very easy unless you're under ideal conditions, unfortunately - you're basically doing it blind on an opaque pouch.

Some manufacturers do offer an "inspection window" on their opaque bags, but not all do, and it's still not nearly as easy to get a perfect fit with them.  The flange on a two-piece system adds a bit of rigidity to the baseplate, so the hole you cut isn't stretching out like it can on a one-piece.

It does take more practice to master putting on a one-piece system, but once you know how to get it on then it can still offer you a reliable fit.

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
November 2, 2017 5:07 pm  

Take half of a Ekin ring and rub in palms to make a " snake " like shape . Take that snake and places around  very snuggled against your stoma . Take the rest of Ekin ring that is still in a C  SHAPE and just keep pressing it to make C shape into a round shape so you can place up on snake already on your stoma . Press two into each other . So now you have a custom super fit ring to accommodate and odd shape stoma . This helps with leaks when its hard to cut wafer into odd shape/ sizes . 

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
November 2, 2017 5:13 pm  

That is what I have been doing the past few months and it works. But I only use 1/2 a seal-depending on the convetx u need.. I get a better convetx this way.. Helps!! 

But if your eating acid foods- may have to change a day sooner as of any way u go-

This really helps!! People try it she is on to something, 

Where did u get this from?  

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register