Clear all

Loperamide

13 Posts
7 Users
4 Likes
jrachr
(@jrachr)
Topic starter  

Hi all. Well I have done some research but still have a question.I have searched the site but everything is old and really doesn't answer my question. I have a colostomy and lately have had a few bouts of diarrhea. Now I am trying to narrow it down but it could be anything. I like my Coor's Lite and my salad dressings as well as a few other things that don't help the cause. IE my morning coffee. I don't want to give these up if I can deal with the issue another way. My question is when I take my loperamide everything slows down and all is good. So I guess the question is can I take 2 a day on a regular basis? 1 in the morning and 1 at night? Will it cause ulcers or bleeding of any sort? Tk's

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hey @jrachr,

Loperamide (most people would know this as Imodium), can be used on a temporary basis to help slow down output, and many ostomates do use it.

However, as with most medication, I would consult with your doctor before using it since there can be interactions with other meds, or side effects that may need to be monitored.

It *is* generally considered safe for most people.

I do have an article that may offer a few other solutions to liquid output: https://www.veganostomy.ca/dealing-liquid-ostomy-output/

A food diary may be helpful if you believe it's food that's causing this to happen. If you do identify trigger foods, it may help you plan when to take this medication, so you aren't always taking it.

Best of luck.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
jrachr
(@jrachr)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy Thank you for your response Eric. I figured that was the case. And figuring out is causing it is first step and then take them as I need them. Might be something as simple as a water bottle not cleaned often enough. being retired guess I now have a mission to pass my time. Cheer's for now.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
AlexanderUK
(@alexanderuk)

Just following up on this, I've got a lot of experience on the high output side. I suffer short bowel syndrome so dealing with liquid output is a regular occurrence for me.

If your fluid loss is regular and of a high amount (over 1.5L) I'd talk to your stoma nurse as it might not be food related, and could be down to the peristalsis (movement) of the intestine changing which may need meds like Loperamide or Codeine Phosphate to control (short or long term).

If it's just a small amount or just a short term thing over the counter Loperamide can work but a small number of people (I think the stat was 1/1000) can react badly to it so I'd be careful. I'm not saying don't use it because for the majority of people it can be useful but as noted above get medical advice prior to use. In my case (I'm in the unlucky percentage) it put my guts to sleep (ileus) and the hospital struggled to wake them up (it wasn't fun).

There are non-medical ways you can slow down gut activity or thicken output like eating carbs (they slow the gut motility) and marshmallows (gelatin thickens output). This site has a few other food cheats too.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)

you really need to be more specific here.   exact numbers, time period that you have diarrhea( length).

how often does this occur? is it realated to time of day?   how often during the week?  if you have diarrhea in the evening, i wouldn't suspect morning coffee.   after diarrhea do you have normal output for several days or nothing until the next round of diarrhea?

i don't see a problem with anything you list. my neighbor gave me 12 coors lites, they cause no problems, its nearly water.    i'm past 60 with a colostomy.  i was drinking out of a creek last summer for a period long enough to develope minor gut problems, took a while to clear up on its own.

i also do not have refrigeration, so i can tell you how long things that require refrigeration last without, such as sour cream turns sweet when its bad.  but i only eat cold potato salad.

unless your intestine has been greatly shorten, i would not suspect new food problems that you didn't have before.

for me, diarrhea is the body rejecting whats inside, and to take medication to stop this rejection is not good.  of course if you are dehydrating, thats different.

ReplyQuote
jrachr
(@jrachr)
Topic starter  
  • I have narrowed it down to either my sodastrem. I use ginger ale 7 up or root beer. Or pasta salad made with Italian dressing or 3 a grocery store mix I get of mixed vegetables with balsamic vinegar. Was ok for 3 days with almost no movement and then had those 3 things tonight. Had movement within an hour. Will k keep you posted.

ReplyQuote
jrachr
(@jrachr)
Topic starter  

@dogtalkerer thanks very much for your advice. I am 63 and retired now. I of course was looking for the quick out(Imodium) instead of trying to fix the issue. And now thinking back to when I had the last bout of diarrhea it was when I had gotten these mixed veggies with balsamic so maybe they are causing my issues. Or something in the sodastrem syrup. As I said I will keep you posted. Tk's again for the advice.

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)

@jrachr , I could see that from those prepared salad mixes.  i stay away from them, plus its easy enough to chop up veggies at a much lower cost.  i make carbonated water in a 5gallon old style soda pop keg.  try using frozen 100% juicies.  i like to use heavy strong beer with lots of carbonated water in it.

ReplyQuote
jrachr
(@jrachr)
Topic starter  

@dogtalkerer  Tk's for that advice. Never thought of making my own flavors.But if you think about Sodastream all it is is carbonated water. So add own flavors to your discretion and all should be good.

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)

I have been using Imodium for 7 years now. Early on, I was taking 4 every day; I have managed to get it down to generally one every other day now. My surgeon is not concerned at all with me taking it, but as mentioned above, it is important to check with a medical professional before taking any medication. I cannot manage my output by diet alone; I have tried. I have, with the help of a dietitian and food diary, been able to understand what causes loose output for me. It’s fibre. The more fibre, the less control I have, and it means spending an inordinate amount of time in the bathroom. Since restricting my diet to include only foods low in fibre would be quite unhealthy, (not to mention undesirable) I have to manage my output using Imodium. I am grateful that I have this option. It’s not for everyone, but it works for me.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
cygo
 cygo
(@cygo)

Hi,

As mentioned having a food diary is helpful anytime you have issues and in general. 

There is a cool app the VO mentions, I think in a story under nutrition, that I have tried and like called Cronometer.  It is an easy way to track your daily intakes.  I like that it reads the bar code (using your phone) on most foods and knows the nutritional value of the foods.  

You can also use it to track how much water you drink, which is for me really a bid deal since I tend to forget to drink water unless I am training. 

cygo

ReplyQuote
jrachr
(@jrachr)
Topic starter  

I have since discovered some most of my issues were from certain foods.I have have been eating.Courteous of dogtalkerer I did a little deeper digging and found some causes of my issues so imodium unless I have serious issues will not be required. This Cronometer sounds interesting.Will have to do some research on this. Cheer's for now.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Ryan
 Ryan
(@ryan)

I eat and drink anything i want except bran flakes. Too much fiber can cause bowl blockage. Dieretics cause liquid. No problem. Empty pouch. Whole grains especially bread work well at increasing viscosity and vegetables of corse. Try ale instead of lagger, i do. Take care

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote