Diabetes with an Ostomy

15 Posts
6 Users
33 Likes
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Topic starter  

not sure where to post so Eric apologies if its the wrong place ,

Anyway recently my energy levels were up and down and got bloods and urine taken by my GP , blood in the urine so off to the ER for further checks , after 6 hours and a ct scan all they discovered was cysts on my left kidney to match the ones on my right kidney , they also took bloods and all were ok , 

eventually I got the blood results from the GP (over a month later) and my blood glucose was very high , I think it was 7.5 , 

anyway the GP gave me a glucose tolerance test yesterday and was told it would be a week before I get the results , I think I should prepare for the worst and get ready for life with diabetes type 2 and dealing with what to eat with my ostomy , 

Really worried as I have upcoming proctectomy and gallbladder surgery and its all getting to be a bit to much to handle , 

anyway just wondering if any other ostomates have diabetes and how they manage it ,

Thanks for listening  

john68
(@john68)

Hi Tony, Am sorry to hear that. My Wife is a type 1 since age 12, though she ain’t got an ostomy I can’t see anything in her diet that would give an ostomate any trouble. In fact when I think about it we eat basically the same meals. The blood sugar reading may have been high but just a little between 4.5/7.5 ain’t too bad. Take one step at a time and while research and prep is good don’t overthink. Best wishes Der lad 🙏👍☘️

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hi Tony,

I've moved the topic to the ostomy subforum, as it would get more attention here.

I'm sorry to hear of the news, but also feel optimistic that your ostomy life shouldn't really be impacted by diabetes.

As John mentioned, there should be very little that changes with diet that would complicate things with your stoma.

You've got a lot on your plate at the moment (no pun intended), so take things as they come, and I know you'll get through it alright.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Tony H and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Topic starter  

thanks John and Eric , its one of the few things I never thought I would get , i dont eat much sugar in general , like everything else you just have to get on with life as best you can .

VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hi Tony... I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes a few years back. It was caught by my GP in repeated blood work!  By following the foods & amounts safe for diabetics I was able to turn that diagnoses around but it took 8 months for me. 

If you are... Make sure you get to talk to the Nutritionist through your local hospital or...?  Through ours,  I was given a glucose moniter to test my blood sugar 4 times a day.   The moniters store your info & it can be printed out on paper.  ALWAYS carry it with you. It was easy to use & not much to it really but then I don't have tough man fingers!    I was also given 4 or 5 sheets of what I called "Diabetic Food Rules" & I didn't say it nicely either!! Lol! . These helped a ton in knowing what to eat, how much & when.

After I got over being ticked off at my body for betraying me, lol, I decided if I had to be diabetic at any level I was going to be a darn good diabetic!!!!  That was my revenge/gift, lol,  to my body. 

I know its hard waiting for test results but try not to worry ahead of time too much.   The best you can do for now is to stay calm, deep breathe when you feel it bugging you or if your over thinking it.

I have a lot of other medical issues going on as well & I know its not fun at all. Just take one issue at a time. You can do this even if you don't want to.  

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Topic starter  

@dlkfiretruck   Thanks Linda I have a feeling that i might be getting bad new thursday , I have probable had some warning signs over the last few year , had glucose in a urine sample about 3 years ago and asked my GP to follow that up but with covid I think this fell between the cracks , at times I have had sudden loss of all energy and  as well as that having some problems with my feet , like numb toes but I put this down to my usual UC part of my life , but now I think it might have been Diabetic for a while now   , going to call the nurse on wednesday instead of thursday , I hate waiting for anything , I was a very annoying child esp around Christmas 

thanks again everyone for the support , really appreciate it .

LK, john68 and LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Topic starter  

got the results back today and confirmed that I have diabetes , gp is so busy that i have to wait another week to see her , anyway just another thing to add to my growing list of ailments , just have to get on with it , all part of life , every day you can get up out of bed is a good one .

LK and LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@tony-h Hey Tony. A confirmed diagnosis gives you a path forward, and fortunately, diabetes can be well managed. Stay positive, friend 👍

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK, john68 and LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy thanks Eric , now I can get a plan of action in motion , another new doctor (endocrinologist)and a good dietician and a lot of determination

LK, john68 and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Topic starter  

@dlkfiretruck   Hi Linda any advice on diet ?  , I know white bread , all processed food is gone , and very little carbs , will be eating lots of fresh fruit and veg , started baking my own wholemeal bread , any other suggestions ?

cygo and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)

Hi Tony, My wife has been using the free style libre for the past few years. It saves the finger pricking and stores all results. She just scans with the phone it’s so easy. Plus it sends alerts to the phone if she’s going low. It’s been a real gift.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Tony H, LLNorth and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@tony-h  ... Well... I'm sorry to hear that & I realize how frustrating it is for anyone to be told they're diabetic.   Its not the most ideal result but I suppose at least now you know and can move "forward with a plan of action" that will get you "feeling better soon enough and Tony, you will feel better" in terms of the diabetes. It may take a little work to learn a few things but you can do this!!!   

1st, a week to be seen by your GP esp. for Diabetes... hmmm,  have you asked to be on a cancelation list?  Thats a little secret I've learned over the years that more often then not gets me in the door sooner then planned, but... always make an apt. for as soon as you can and then if you get on the cancelation apt. list keep your booked one as well.   This allows you time to write down your  questions and go back & get answers. Also, ask if your allowed to book 20 min. apts., the usual is 10 min. apts here.  But the odd 20 min. Can be very helpful.   Always go in armed with a list & respectful of the Docs time even if others are not. I look at my watch as my GP walks in the room and I stay on the list. If I'm out early its a bonus for him too. 

You do not have to give up breads entirely,  making your own is a great start & adding grains is better. You should see a dietitian or someone who can guide you & give you the information you need to do this successfully.   The Canada food guide for diabetics was my saving grace & like I said, if I had to be type 2 diabetic I was going to be a darn good diabetic!  There are food exchanges you can make, a lot like give and take.   I loved that I could still enjoy nuts of all sorts it just meant different amounts in a sitting.   I actually found I ate so well on the diabetic rules & list that the weight I had gained because of my sleepy thyroid came off of me.   That was a bonus for sure!  I live in the Okanagan so fruit season is a wonderful experience for me all over again.  I take full advantage of fruit & garden season  any home canning of fruit is now done in a much lighter syrup and the fruit eaten without the syrup it is canned in. You can buy all sorts of sugar free candy and foods out there. I was surprised at the variety & realized the diabetic foods were no where as limiting or as bad tasting as I thought they would be.  If my hubby was still alive he would have gladly joined me on my efforts to tackle this disease.  So,  if you have a willing partner to help you through this all the better!!!  

Excercise is important to diabetics but it does not have to be strenuous. Simply going for a good walk or a bike ride every day is important as well or a program of excercises at home. I have an ancient stationary bike for our -8 & below temps here in Winter but I admit to enjoying it all year now as well as my dog walking regime. 

You mentioned your feet are tingling.  I've had that for 3 years now & I'm not type 2 diabetic any more.  **Make sure you talk to your GP about your concerns & tingling & how long its going on.  This is important!  They can test you for the cause.   Mine is due to  Peripheral Nueropathy.  I was started on Gabapentin for it a few months back as I just could not tolerate it much longer, esp. at night when it feels like my feet are on fire & in a nasty vice grip!! I LOVE my socks but even they get tossed over this so called tingling!! 

I hope this has been helpful in some way Tony.   Its certainly not a damning as it felt in the beginning for me but developing an attitude to control it helped a lot.  Making your own foods  with a good cook book to help you along is good too.  I have a cooking back ground so I decided I was going to have fun creating meals I enjoyed while still following guide lines. I was never hungry following rules & was also very satisfied too.  You've got a good start by reaching out & I do know there is another type 1 diabetic on this site too. Maybe he'll chime in if he sees this thread.  I'd like to know how it goes for you in this battle if your up to giving updates.  In the mean time, its never to late to start looking out for yourself. 

Linda

Tony H reacted
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)

I’m sorry to hear that Tony, but you seem to have a positive can-do attitude about it, which will probably serve you well. Good luck on your new journey. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

Tony H and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

@tony-h Hi Tony, I am not diabetic, but my husband is. When he was diagnosed I thought, oh, no, what will he eat? But he has done very well - keeps up to date and educated about it, watches his choices and keeps things under control. The bread he eats is different from mine, he eats far less carbs, he started walking, too, and lost quite a bit of weight. He seems to snack on vegetables, which I don’t even have to buy or prepare. He has not had to completely give up those carby and sweet things he likes, but doesn’t eat them often or in as large amounts as he used to.  I remember the day he was diagnosed, and we thought we were in for some rough ride, but it has been all right, even fine.  Best of everything to you.

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

Tony H, LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Topic starter  

I really appreciate all the support and info from all of you , it makes a real difference , this forum has been my lifeline for over five years and continues to give practical and emotional support , thanks again Eric for having such a caring space for us crohnies and uc sufferers ,

update got into to the GP today after pushing with the practice manager who i am quite friendly with and she started me on 500mg Metformin twice a day , bloods taken once a month using a test called HbA1c test which can test your average blood sugar levels for the last couple of months , seeing the practice nurse in about a week to sort out food diets and general advice , 

and really from the bottom of my heart , thanks for all the support and info 

cygo, john68 and LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote