Notifications
Clear all

Irrigation

Fred
 Fred
(@fred)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hello Ostomates. I was recently hospitalized with an acute bowel obstruction and  wanted to avoid surgery if possible. After several days on an NG tube. I was put on a liquid diet for a few days but was not passing anything. The doctor ordered a regular diet and daily irrigation.  I was discharged continuing the process at home. After almost 2 weeks of irrigating, finally passed some stool. However the next day produced nothing. Does anyone have any experience with colostomy irrigation?

Tigerlily liked
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered

You're kinda at the wrong website.   Go the the UOAA forum.  Several people there irrigate.   There is a whole section on irrigation.

Sounds like you have a very slow digestion system.     If you have well irrigated, you may not see much for a day or 2 or more possibly. 

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered

https://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

Try that.

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

Hi Fred,

I irrigate, although I don’t do it regularly. It isn’t unusual to go 24 - 48 hours without passing any stool after irrigating, so that might be what you’re experiencing. Let me know if you have specific questions; I’ll try to answer them as best I can. 

Laurie

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Laurie,

Since you don't do it everyday how do you determine when to irrigate? During that interim 24-48 hours do you irrigate again or just wait? Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)
Registered
Topic starter  

@dogtalkerer, Thanks for the link.

ReplyQuote