Notifications
Clear all

Hernia mechanics???  

RSS

dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
July 9, 2020 12:54 pm  

by basic definition, we all have hernias since we all have intestine coming thru the abdominal wall.  but I have seen some pictures of the problem hernia and i really do not understand whats going on?

Are these big balloons full of output? why are they so large? if output wouldn't an enema reduce the size?

SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
July 9, 2020 2:43 pm  

The way it was explained to me was that the hernia is the small intestines. And the noises and rumbly feeling when I put my hand on it confirms that for me. When I had my colectomy surgery, it wasn’t planned, and started as an exploratory surgery. The doctor told me they “gutted me like a fish” and found that my colon had perforated and I was very septic. So when they closed me back up,  everything they had to cut through to get inside me wasn’t in the best condition. That is why they say the hernia formed, because what was holding the small intestines in place was so weak and damaged. 

I have no idea how big the opening in the fasciae is that my small intestines is going through but the actual hernia looks like I have a cantaloupe under my skin. 

Mine of my appts next week is with a dr who specializes in hernias. The one thing I didn’t like was in talking to the surgeon about the possible rectal stump removal, she told me that surgery was a piece of cake compared to the hernia repair. Yikes!!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 13, 2020 9:55 am  
Posted by: @dogtalkerer

but I have seen some pictures of the problem hernia and i really do not understand whats going on?

While we do technically have hernias already, they are "controlled hernias" (not sure if that's a medical term, but I'll run with it). 

With unplanned hernias, the bowel pushes through weak tissue so it bulges under/around the stoma. In some cases, this can be very large because bowel can be long and enough of it "spilled" out. 

I'm not sure how output affects it, as I don't have a hernia, but some people can find temporary relief by laying on their back (the hernia goes back in), but it will eventually spill out again unless it's repaired. Many simply live with them as they don't cause problems, but for some, it can affect the quality of life, lead to blockages, etc. 

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
July 13, 2020 1:46 pm  

Ok, a long tear makes sense, long tear-big hernia.    I was assuming a small opening where intestine ballooned outward , more like an inter tube bulging out of a hole in a tire. 

ReplyQuote