Community Forums

Bag comfort - how g...

Notifications
Clear all

Bag comfort - how good can it get? How to achieve this? Help please?  

RSS

Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
July 9, 2020 12:45 pm  

Hello fellow ostomates

I have a few questions about bag comfort, and would love to hear peoples' experiences, and also this will help to manage my expectations.

I am using a flat, drainable pouch with a seal. What I feel a lot of the time is that it is like having a sink plunger attached to my stomach. Very obvious and always a bit uncomfortable. Is this normal? I wonder if it is one of those things I will get used to over time, or if I should keep trying out different pouches, as the right one may be out there? I would love to hear about others' experiences, and if I can look forward to a reasonable level of comfort over time.

The other thing, and it happens whatever bag I use (and I think I have tried about 5 so far) is that output collects around the stoma and it seems to create a vacuum pack sensation around the stoma. I mentioned this to the stoma nurse, as I was concerned that output packed around the stoma could affect flow, and was told it didn't matter. I use the stickers on the filter, I make sure there is always air in the bag, and I add a bit of water after each empty. But nothing seems to stop this situation. I have thickish outout, I think, like oatmeal/porridge, and the stoma is proud of the tummy, about 1.5-2 cm.

I feel always aware of the stoma, bag etc., and I really want to believe that with time I will notice the bag less, and it will become just how it is. At the moment, it still attracts my attention so much, and seldom feels very comfortable at all. Any tips or suggestions, as ever, welcome.

Best wishes & thanks.

john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 9, 2020 12:58 pm  

Mimi again it’s early days. When fully healed it’s gonna feel better. Yes do try different systems and all companies are happy to give samples. Yes through time it’s gonna feel like a second skin😀

Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
July 9, 2020 1:11 pm  

things will change with time.  bags aren't bags from my experience.   and I've looked for bags that are the less noticeably felt, I go for light weight, highly flexible, and the 1 piece fits the order.  the Cymed was the best til they changed manufacturer that changed material.  I also have made an effort over the year to ignore the bag stuck to my side, if you dwell on the bag it becomes a monster.

the vacuum effect everyone talks about has never given me a problem, I truly dislike any air pockets in the bag, really reduces mobility.  how can you bend down where your legs are fully collapsed, butt on your heals, your abdomen tight to your thigh(full squat).  this is how I was working yesterday.      I'll bend and feel the air pressure rise in the bag and know that pressure will accelerate leaks and flange wear time.   my output is more like tooth paste and 90% of time needs to be pushed down.  rinsing does help. 

Mimi and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 9, 2020 1:28 pm  

I echo what dogtalker states. Don’t dwell on the bag. The more you over think it’s gonna cause issues. It’s their to serve you not the other way round 

Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
July 9, 2020 2:45 pm  

one last simple point.  If I'm sitting on the porch, I know the bag is there, if I'm engrossed in an activity, I have NO sense that I have a bag on. in short, keep busy......

Mimi and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
rosepritchard
(@rosepritchard)
Registered
July 9, 2020 5:28 pm  

Hi Mimi

My output tends to be really thick a lot of the time - that’s down to what I’m eating, but as I like what I’m eating and prefer not to have to change my diet, I’m resigned to dealing with the consequences! However, ‘pancaking’ i.e. output sticking around and over the stoma and creating a vacuum was a massive issue for me until I read about the Brava lubricating deodorant, and that has completely solved the problem for me. A squirt or two into the bag after emptying and things move around a lot more easily in the bag and don’t get quite so stuck. Worth a try. Hope this helps.

All the best.

Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
July 10, 2020 7:58 am  

Mimi

yes you are right vacuuming will inhibit the stoma output in my experience, so anything to reduce stop it will help

I prefer a two piece bag I can take the bag off clean around, flush the bag out and put lubricant it, feels much more comfortable, also you can as Eric shows burp the bag if it balloons, less skin trauma since a clogged filter does necessitate a bag change, also when we are free to roam much easier to swop a bag and go without all the cleaning and faff of a full change.

The the stoma nurse you an active sports person if they resist the more costly 2 piece ;-)

Chris and Bagpus ~~~~~we,re back!

Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
July 10, 2020 1:19 pm  

@chrisandbagpus, I think you are a little mis-informed here.  the 1 piece bag can easily be rinsed out, staying attached reduces chances of making a mess.   you can add lubricant just as easy to a 1 piece.       a 1 piece drainable bag can be burped as well.  you burp as if you were going to drain,  but you point the opening up, not down.   the moist air gets expelled to the outside rather than inside your clothing which traps droplets of stinky moisture. I would never burp this way myself.

burp a bag a couple times, then take your shirt off and smell it.....

absolutely no reason to replace a bag just because the filter is clogged.

ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
July 10, 2020 1:20 pm  

Hello - thanks everyone

Really helpful, also to know that thick output which needs pushing down is not unusual.

I am very active and am working out how best to work with the bag. I do tend to wear Vanilla Blush pants - with a pouch for the pouch/bag . . . especially when I am out and about, and this helps with the overall 'comfort'.

Keeping busy is a positive way to deal with things, and I am a generally busy person, I've been dogged with severe chronic pain for a few weeks which is making everything tricky, including getting engaged/busy with things. But this will get easier - as you all, who are futher along the road, tell me and I believe you!

Posted by: @chrisandbagpus

Chris and Bagpus ~~~~~we,re back!

Good to hear!

Best wishes and thanks

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
July 10, 2020 1:56 pm  

@dogtalkerer

Hi no I didn't mean to suggest you can't burp or flush a 1 piece I merely stated that I found the 2 piece easier as you have the option of doing the same as with a one piece but additionally can burp a 2 piece with a quick careful partial un-clic (takes practice). Also removing the bag and slinging a flush of water through the bag into the toilet sometime easier and quicker.

Thanks for helping me to clarify the difference, my excuse I only came home yesterday 8-O 

sorry expect some of my posts to be a bit gibberish its the drugs honest!

ReplyQuote