Gas with Ileostomy

Notifications
Clear all

Gas with Ileostomy  

Varg55
(@varg55)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hi All,  I am just three weeks post op with my ileostomy.  I have a lot of discomfort that I THINK might be from gas, but I'm not sure.  I wonder if gas is more of a problem with an ileostomy than with a colostomy?  I have had a colostomy for over a year and although I often had gas, it did not cause discomfort.  My thinking is that the gas has little room to disperse in the small intestine, so causes more discomfort but I don't know if this theory is any good.  I don't want to give up all the good gas causing foods that I eat because I really enjoy them and they are good for me, ie, vegies, beans, garlic and spices. Any advice on how to deal with gas would be appreciated, ie, something that reduces it.  I have never tried Beano, does it work? I am also afraid that my bowel just isn't emptying fast enough and that is causing the discomfort. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Terry

SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

Hi Terry,

I don’t remember after my original surgery (I was really sick and pretty drugged up) but after my surgery last month, where they removed my sigmoid colon, for about 20 days after, I had intense cramping when I sat on the toilet. It felt like extreme gas pains. But it did go away after a while. Hopefully yours is temporary as well. 😀

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

Tigerlily and Varg55 liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

Hello Terry...Oh yes...Gas is not much fun...especially noisey gas and in church with an alert 4 year old in the pew ahead of you who feels the urge to announce & point you out as... that's the lady that farted Mommy!!! lol! Only more like Phaaaaawwteeeeed!!!  I was the only one behind them at the time, and in the last pew!...deep sigh! Honestly, some children! lol!

I had lots of gas for a few years after surgery.  I learned to do mattress Olympics, tossing and turning as I could feel it moving in what left of my guts from one side to the other and even desperate at times from a bad build up feeling like it was under my lungs, I would lay with my butt above my head propping it up on several pillows or even on my knees with my head on the floor.  Later ofcourse we found out there was another reason for the extreme pain I was getting with gas.  

There are a few ways to deal with it.  I found a hot water bottle placed on my tummy helped the inside relaxed a fair bit so the cramping would diminish a lot. Plus the slight weight of the water bottle helped put a gentle pressure on my guts to sort of disperse it better inside. Beware to prevent hurting your stoma and place a dry washcloth over it incase the water bottle is too warm for it.

Gas-X and I are best friends!! lol.  You can buy them at the pharmacy without a prescription.  I would however recommend you let your GP know you have this going on also.  Then at least it is documented & if  he figures it needs extra help they can also prescribe something for you.  With the Gas-X, buy a small box to see if it works at first, then you can use the next size up if you can find it. This has been the best remedy for me yet!

Plus, I always thought I drank a fair bit of water through the day but not until I challenged myself to increase it did I realize I really was not drinking nearly enough fluids throughout the day.  In turn I learned to drink a big glass of water or other fluids before, during and after a meal, about 4 glasses.  I know this sounds ridiculous, but I actually at times need to swish my torso in order to feel the water mixing with what I have eaten, I can actually hear it, then I always get better digestion & texture. Water is so good for you all around.  It helps our Liver wash out impurities & medications that can leave us feeling gross or sluggish after surgery too. You would be surprised how long it can hang around.  

I hope you can get a handle on this.  Gas can be very painful if your guts decide so.  It may be worth it to skip some of the more offensive foods for a while & eat a softer diet until you guts heal more, about 6 months maybe. Keep a journal too. This helps solve a fair bit of issues.  I had to learn to cook a bit differently also.  Veggies, as much as I loved them raw, had to go or be chewed down to nothing in order to digest easier.  I now steam them to where I can put a FORK, not a knife thru them. This way I still get that yummy veg flavour I love so much with out getting mush! Yuck!  I eat a big salad with a wide variety of veggies almost every day.  I know for me, my guts feel better because of it too.  But I chew chew chew! Put the fork down between bites & really take your time.  I love raw Asparagus, so I slice it thin & put it on a salad or even in sandwiches, same with other raw veggies.  But after a meal, I will mix what I have eaten with applesauce or a banana or...? the softer fruits like that. If I eat a raw apple, its always a Macintosh, they break down well & make great applesauce too, take a big drink & swish it with my eaten food.  Also because of skipping certain foods I found I craved flavour...so I add Herbs & Spices to make up the difference.  In Cream of Mushroom Soup from the can,  I add things like Onion, Garlic, Thyme, Basil, Oregano even a dash of Cayenne.  Use the ones you enjoy or experiment. Dry ones are more potent then fresh so use less & increase slowly until you find what you enjoy most.  I have been really watching what & how I eat & like the salad & applesauce thing, I am starting to think this has also helped me avoid blockages for so long now, when I used to get them a fair bit. Try eating several small meals or nutritious snacks, kind of like grazing instead of a full meal, this may help also.   

I now this is long, but sometimes its worth it.  Good Luck & let us know how things go for you in this matter! I hope you feel much better sooner then later. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Varg55
(@varg55)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Linda,  A lot of really good advice here, many thanks!

Cheers,

Terry

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hey @varg55

I had gas pains for quite sometime after surgery, extending unto my shoulders! Some was from the actual air they use during surgery to fill the abdominal cavity, but some was gas. 

As Linda suggested, Gas-X can be a wonderful product. It won't get rid of gas, but it will make gas easier to pass, which should relieve discomfort. 

As your body adjusts and heals, your gas pains should go away. 

If it helps, keep a food diary to see if any particular foods cause more (or less) gas, and adjust your diet or way of eating until it settles down. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote