Notifications
Clear all

Filters  

RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 2, 2017 1:40 pm  

Hi All, Just watched the review on filter stickers, Now it have never used a pouch with a filter. Whats the reason, well when I first had my ostomy and choosing a system to me it was a case of well that's something that could give trouble!! Ok its their to solve the problem of gas get that, but if it happens I burp the bag. other point for having them is gas while sleeping, yes I see the point I had had a blow out because of sleeping through a bag doing a great impression of a hot air balloon followed by a hand grenade! I hear of the problems they can cause like pancaking and hear some folk say that restricts output and leads to other problems. Now please don,t think I am trying to shoot down the idea of them. I always say that one size don,t fit all and if its a benefit no body can say well they ain,t a good job. we are all here to learn so am I missing out.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Robert, mykirbyroo, Zvitusk and 1 people liked
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
December 2, 2017 2:04 pm  

Hi John,

I agree. For the first time, I just changed my order to get the non filtered bags. I use Hollister. The may ( ??) work a bit for a few hours, but then they just stop completely. They do not seem to take on water from the outside ( like some brands) so you do not have to put a plastic sticker over them whenever they get wet, but they just do not allow gas to escape.

Also, as I am getting the hang of things, I am getting longer wear times. Five to seven days now and these 'filters' sometimes start to show 'color' from the inside. Not good. Never had they actually leak that way, but it certainly seems possible.

I use the EZ-Vents which I love and find necessary. Until someone wakes up and markets a product with these  mechanical vents incorporated into the bag, I will stick with this solution.

And, yes! Its horrible to wake up at night beneath a ready to explode balloon! No fun.

Cheers to you.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

Robert, Zvitusk and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
December 2, 2017 3:18 pm  

WOW! Dona, 5-7 days huh?  Happy if I get into the 4th day and then there IS a leak.. But I feel fresher changing on the third day-- The mio-when I take a bath, it fills with water.. so don't plan on swimming with these!!! THE holister, I had some left overs that I tried last week, all the out put went to the bottom like a sack of rocks. I like the wide opening best-more formation and not low of "the hang of rock" type of thing. THe narrow opening does this sock of rock look that I don't find very fashionable.. but that is me.. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
December 2, 2017 10:53 pm  

I agree with all of your assessments. 

Filters DON'T WORK! .

So, I just cover them.  And don't drink seltzer or pop. 

Right now I am trying the Mio. Filter issues are not solved. Am getting a week out of them by wearing a belt.

Belt holds wafer down so that it doesn't peal off. I wonder why there are 4 belt loops. I only use 2. 

Comments are appreciated. 

Dona and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 3, 2017 7:26 am  

Hi Zvitusk, The extra belt loops I think are to adapt the belt to different angles to suit body size and shape. now that's my guess!! but I know what you mean as my pouch has one loop at the top which just baffles me!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 3, 2017 12:05 pm  

Some filters definitely work better than others and some are downright useless for anyone who has anything less than dry, formed stool. 

Hollister filters work the best for me, but they are in no way perfect or even close to it. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
December 3, 2017 12:10 pm  

They have a special belt for the mio-- The most rudest thing to get put/puled into the proper size.  They said to use both belt tabs = different belt = a tug of war = there is also a wrap around the adjustment area and that makes the belt stick out in that part more.. told them it was crap-and also hard to put the SPECIAL belt snaped into place = tough = Not buying them= not using the stupid belts. Until they get back to the other nicer belts with the proper double loops..  I do call them often and ask if they have looked into this problem, yet this-- I am pushing tho-- Really weird system.. or a belt!! They said that were going get this "comfort" :-(         Told them they goofed bit time........  

If u wear just part of the belt loops it can streach your wafer high or lower..   And this moves the wafer.. = leaks = that is why u need their new special belt.. good luck!! 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
mykirbyroo
(@mykirbyroo)
Registered
December 3, 2017 12:18 pm  

John68 ---  Your comment " I had had a blow out because of sleeping through a bag doing a great impression of a hot air balloon followed by a hand grenade! "  Made me laugh like a crazy person!!!!  Because I know exactly what you're describing -- the same thing has happened to me!!!!!  Exactly as you described it!!!!  And, oh, boy, what a mess!!!!  Hasn't happened in a long, long time, but in the early days with Rosebud, WOW!!!!  I used to have to shower often in the wee hours of the morning ---  it was that bad!!!!

I truly enjoy your humor and mirth!!!!  You seem to handle your ostomy like most of us -- just a fact of life and another thing we have to deal with ---- but it sure beats the alternative (eternal rest in the tomb).

Best wishes and Merry Christmas to you and yours, John68, from me and mine here in southeastern Nebraska U.S.A.!!!!!!

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
December 3, 2017 1:02 pm  

I wasn't fond of the filters either its . I started out with them but quickly changed to no filter . I didn't really see the point if you had to cover them and they could give you possible problems . I use Hollister products the lock n roll bags no vent and have been satisfied with them . I don't have a problem with gas why I don't know because I drink beer n sodas but don't have a problem . I do use the support belt for the bag/barrier the 1" belt so 2 of those loops of course go for the belt . Took a little getting use to though . But since using it I haven't had any leaks don't know if that made a difference or not but something worked . The 3rd or top loop I use if I do want to burp it don't know if that's what its for but that's what I use it for .

Subtotal colectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 3, 2017 1:03 pm  

Many Thanks Mykirbyroo, Humour is the best Med of all for sure, and a lot of folk deal with all sorts of body hurt. I worked with a guy who lost a leg in an accident that fella never let it get him down and you talk about laughing out loud, i remember one morning walking into the workshop to see Gerry leaning against the bench with no leg on. the leg was in the vice and he was doing some repairs as he called it. Merry Christmas and good health to all your loved ones.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 3, 2017 1:06 pm  

HI Robert, that's what I use the top ring for. ye sparks aren't soft

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
December 3, 2017 1:21 pm  

hhhhhhhhhhhhhh--So that is why the smell ?? The filter is blowing the "deleciates" up to my direction!! I never used the covers for the filters either.. Gave them away--well, some anyway-- Now for the decision on when to slap one on?  Proberly Club  Med times..  As I decided to be like Felicity, If I want a coke? I will do so.  a good dash of rum takes down the fizz.. :-)

If I want a beer? I will have one!!  a dash of salt takes down the fizz a bit.. :-) 

But those days are pretty much goners...... But if???????  The filter goes open.. 

Yes that upper loop is for the burping.. The nurses tried to make funnies out of that trying to make light of this new normal me.. didn't work.. Just what are they thinking?????? Not funny!! I am stuck with this thing for the rest of my life, I am in shock, and they think it is funny? Gezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
December 3, 2017 1:21 pm  

Also.. something NOT to try. We installed EZ-vent on top of the filter on Hollister bags once. They leaked like crazy. obviously , that area was not meant for hole to be punched through it. It just looked like it might stick better there because it is stiffer. We I tried it so all of  you won't have to ( if you are in any way tempted to). HA..

No filters for me now. Just the vents.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
mykirbyroo
(@mykirbyroo)
Registered
December 3, 2017 1:23 pm  

Hi, Eric!  I use the Hollister closed end pouches with a filter and the Colomajic liners.  When I change my pouch and before I get anything in it, it sometimes fills up with gas.  (Rosebud is a gas bag if ever there was one!!!  LOL)  I can press the pouch with my whole open hand and the gas will make it's way out without me having to burp the pouch.  Of course, I don't dare try this if there is anything IN the pouch because I know I'll have trouble if I do!!!!  With my Medicare and big Blue Cross/Blue Shield, I never have a co-pay.  Therefore, I always order the closed pouches with the filter.  I've often considered getting the pouches with no filter and may end up switching to no filter.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
December 3, 2017 1:35 pm  

Yes, Dona, I have heard of this problem at my support group-- (I got a sample brought it to S.G.)These are not cheep either!  And then another pouch change and that means another stripping of the wafer. = more expense.. = difficult skin rash's..  They didn't look that great to me..  We do have coloplast, Holister, Convetx, etc. come to or support group to show and tell of their products. And answer  questions.. Last month after reading most of Eric's articles, I baffled them.. :-)..  No never and will NOT get the company of E-X Vent. I Got a sample and we all worked at it at support group-That was fun.. Everyone was reading the directions filling it with water- blowing into it.. Ended up I the bathroom I must admit.. And yes, I got clean up duty.........  There is a trick but not paying big bucks to find it!!! Best. M.

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
December 3, 2017 1:38 pm  

Ok John here we go again . LOL  . I could try to guess but Ye sparks aren't soft ????? You got me again Lad ! Hahaha

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 3, 2017 1:43 pm  

Always able to figure things out, another one similar is "he didn,t cum down the Lagan in a bubble. Lagan is a river that runs through Belfast

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
December 3, 2017 1:44 pm  

Ok after reading Dona's comment  I guess I'm confused on the difference between a filter and a vent ? Guess I'll have to look it up .

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 3, 2017 1:46 pm  

Wee Pic

http://www.respond.co.uk/product/osto-ez-vent-sample/

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert