Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Feeling like I have a full bowel

Alida
(@alida)
Registered
Topic starter  

You guys, I am so embarrassed to ask this!  I had a colostomy a little over a year ago.  The problem is, I still feel like I need to poop all the time.  I know there's mucus that will sometimes be expelled, but that's not what I'm talking about.  I feel like I have a very full bowel and I need to relieve myself.  Like, constantly.  My doctor can't find a reason for this, says I'm absolutely fine.  Does anyone else experience this?  I suppose it could be nerve damage of some sort.  I just want to know I'm not some sort of freak.

With Squiggy since 3/31/21

LK liked
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered

Hi Alida, I experience that occasionally and think it might be just how my insides have settled (perhaps a nerve, as you wondered). Ostomate bodies are so peculiar - sometimes I feel like one of those creatures in that bar early on in Star Wars, the one where Luke Skywalker met Han Solo. LL

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

VeganOstomy, Alida and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

Hello Alida... I  have that feeling on a regular bases too.  I do think LLNorth is right.  If its been checked out then its likely nerves and the bulk of scar tissue that formed after surgery putting that as I think of it as sort of   replacement tissue in the area.  I know from tests that large portions of my small bowel are bound with scar tissue  & I'm pretty sure thats what that lower pressure is from also.  I do find that the longer I'm on my feet the more that pressure bothers me. 

I try to think of this as a good thing as though its the body doing something right by forming the scar tissue and trying to be protective of  the area.  When it bothered me enough I would make my way to the washroom & just sit  & push a little as though trying to expel that mucus.  Kind of like giving the nerves & pressure exactly what its asking for! Lolol

I'm sure you'll adjust as I have to that annoying & at 1st  even scarey feeling & then maybe once our brains figure out the feeling you'll be able to ignore it better. I know its gotten way better for me once I was able to reason it out this way.  Don't ever be embarassed or ashamed to ask these kind of questions.   I think this is one reason our Eric intended this site for in the 1st place.   To give all  Ostomates  a safe place to fall.  ** ALWAYS get this feeling checked out by your doctors first to be sure its safe to figure out this kind of reasoning.** 

Linda

VeganOstomy, Alida, LLNorth and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
kedikat
(@kedikat)
Registered

I have an ileostomy with complete removal of the rectum and I will still get the feeling that I need to poop occasionally. It is very odd. Luckily it does not happen often and goes away quickly. Takes me by surprise every time.

Why?

VeganOstomy and LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

I've had that feeling rarely (after this long with an ileostomy), and it's a very strange feeling to have again!

It is considered normal, but I wonder why you're having that feeling constantly. I would continue to let your doctor know if it continues or that feeling becomes painful. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered

does it feel like you have to go OR feels more like constipation?  i get feelings of constipation, where stretching exercises help or plan excercise, walking or biking.   I wonder if the feelings could be internal muscle tention?   try deep knee bends, squatting.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote