Does stoma powder burn?

14 Posts
10 Users
4 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

I received an email from a stoma nurse who said that some of her patients noticed that they get a burning feeling whenever they use stoma powder.

I put up an informal survey on Twitter to see if anyone else has experienced this and more than I expected have:

https://twitter.com/VeganOstomy/status/1009286828086743040

Have any of you experienced the same? If so, what brands/products have caused this? Please keep this discussion to stoma powders to avoid confusion.

1529593278-Twitter-survey-stoma-poweder-burning.png

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

(@john68)

That a very interesting one, power is not a staple in my routine but under my stoma where I had treatment for the granuloma the treatment left a red sore. since then I have been using powder on that spot and yes I can say its been leaving me with a burning feeling! the product is Convatec orahestive protective to give it the full title.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
(@bubbles)

No never burns . I use the Adapt brand . Maybe it's just certain brands .

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)

I've used Hollister's Adapt, and Cardinal Health's equivalent and never had a burning sensation from it.  I've also used Coloplast anti-fungal powder and never anything with it either.  The only thing I ever remember anything burning was the time I tried stoma paste.  

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

No , I have never  experienced a burning sensation from stoma powder. I use Hollister adapt.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Malsgal86
(@malsgal86)

I use Convotec Stomahesive powder and if my skin is irritated,yes it does burn...not terrible but slightly uncomfortable. The burning sensation does not last long

God when you choose to leave mountains unmovable oh give me the strength to sing it is well with my soul

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

HiEric, on the survey of the stoma powders those that said they experienced burning did any product in particular seem to be a culprit.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: john68

HiEric, on the survey of the stoma powders those that said they experienced burning did any product in particular seem to be a culprit.

Unfortunately, no one really left any comments about what product affected them, so there's no real way of knowing. I would be very interested in knowing if there's perhaps a common ingredient that affects certain people. 

ReplyQuote
(@betterbowels)

I've never noticed much burning from the nystatin powder I use. However, the skin does burn a little and itch with the presence of irritation. I figured the burning/itching came from this. I'm wondering if the people experiencing burning are allergic to the powder, or it could be possible that the powder is expired, right? Most itching I notice is after the barrier is applied. I used to be concerned that this was an indication of leak, but I'm fairly certain now that my skin just doesn't like a lot of products. I've had eczema and sensitive skin forever. Could it also be possible that the skin isn't completely free of output? Maybe the powder is trapping some in the person's pores? Just a few thoughts. I'm certainly no expert.

ReplyQuote
(@memaw002us)

I use stoma powder with every change and it never burns.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

I don't use powder...… Any of them...….. The sprayif needed. and that is like nothing at all.  To much is not good...……. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: BetterBowels

I figured the burning/itching came from this. I'm wondering if the people experiencing burning are allergic to the powder, or it could be possible that the powder is expired, right? Could it also be possible that the skin isn't completely free of output? Maybe the powder is trapping some in the person's pores? Just a few thoughts. I'm certainly no expert.

These are all possibilities for sure. It could be one or a combination of factors that might cause burning for some. 

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi all, as I said I have been using convatec powder and had a bottle of brava. Just poured some out and had a look between the 2. The brava looks to be of a more fine blend. Now they could be made from the same thing but one looks to be ground down if that could be a difference.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

I met with my ostomy nurse this morning, and she said that some of her patients have ended up with allergic reactions to Adapt.  I have never had a problem, but she had me use Stomahesive from ConvaTec. All of her patients with allergic reactions have responded well to this stoma powder. I will let you know how it reacts on me - hopefully, there will be no itchiness or redness!

Stella

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote