Community Forums

Colonoscopy After L...

Colonoscopy After Loop Colostomy?  

RSS

Allison
(@allison)
Registered
08/05/2017 7:31 pm  

Hello everyone.  I've had a loop colostomy since October 2012, with no real problems ("knock on wood") and now my doctor is recommending a colonoscopy, to be done via my stoma.  Reversal of my colostomy has not been possible so I will have the potentially reversible colostomy forever and I don't want to risk creating problems with my stoma by having a colonoscopy.  Has anyone with a loop colostomy had a colonoscopy?  Any advice?  I am really dreading the bowel prep ... .

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
08/05/2017 8:58 pm  

I've had an ileoscopy before, through the stoma. I would imagine the colonoscopy for you would be similar. 

Not sure if THIS article would benefit you, but you should get instructions for the bowel prep through your doctor. 

Good luck! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Allison
(@allison)
Registered
08/05/2017 9:50 pm  

Thank you for your prompt reply.  Normally, I use a closed bag (with 2-piece system) but will change that to a drainable bag before the procedure, of course, and also try not to each much in the days previous.  You mentioned in your article that you would "write about my experience of having the ileoscopy after it’s done," and I'm wondering if you did that(?).  I'm worried the surgeon will damage my stoma by pushing the instrument in too hard or going the wrong direction, etc.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
08/05/2017 10:39 pm  
Posted by: Allison

You mentioned in your article that you would "write about my experience of having the ileoscopy after it’s done," and I'm wondering if you did that(?). 

Yes, I did HERE.

I'm worried the surgeon will damage my stoma by pushing the instrument in too hard or going the wrong direction, etc.

I trust that your surgeon has done this more than once :)  There's always a very small risk of something like that happening, but you may want to ask if your surgeon feels this is necessary or if it's just as a follow-up. Then you can make a decision. 

My GI said that I don't need to go back unless things change for me - then I could book another scope.  But this first one was to make sure that things went well after the surgery and that my Crohn's disease was kept in check.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
09/05/2017 2:23 pm  

I got my first Flex-sig of my rectal stump ( two words I never ever wanted to hear together) about 9 months after my surgery ( sub total colectomy with an ileostomy). Now I am advised to have an annual flex sig just for cancer screening.  I think we are at higher than average risk for it after UC ( Crohn's too maybe?)  I did have an ileoscopy at the same time ( 9 mos. out from surgery) just to check to see how it was. But, they don't need to do than annually.

I don't know what the rest of you do or are advised to do.

Since there is no prep for the flex sig except fasting, its really no trouble.

I agree, that the bowel prep drink and  the colonoscopies we all endured way too many of were horrible.

I am well now and really want to stay that way.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Registered
09/05/2017 2:29 pm  

Hey Allison,

I am going in for my colonoscopy tomorrow. I am pretty apprehensive about the procedure but talking with the doctor yesterday really helped. He assured me he has done a lot of these scopes on diverted folks. There is always a very small risk of problems but not more so that if you were whole. 

Mine is to check things out before considering my reversal surgery. As the doc put it, "You'd be really mad at me if I put you back together and then later we found out there was a problem." Yeah, I'm all for less surgery, not more. I am guess that if your doctor wants you to have this procedure, there is a reason for it. 

Obviously I have not had the experience yet, but I have a friend that has a colostomy. She's had her stoma for 26 years due to colorectal cancer. Being a cancer survivor, she has had to have several of the colonoscopies and has never had an issue. She's been great support for me while I'm facing mine. Granted we both have 'end' ostomies, mine is reversible but hers is not as she has not rectum or anus.  Still, she's gone through several and everything was fine with the procedure. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
09/05/2017 4:16 pm  

Good luck tomorrow, Kae! 

Kae liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
09/05/2017 4:35 pm  

From me too, Kae.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

Kae liked
ReplyQuote
Allison
(@allison)
Registered
09/05/2017 10:21 pm  

Thanks for reply, Dona, and I'm very happy you are well now.

ReplyQuote
Allison
(@allison)
Registered
09/05/2017 10:25 pm  

Thanks for your reply also, Kae.  Interesting that you will experience the procedure tomorrow.  I'm sure all will go well.  I also plan to meet with the surgeon prior and hopefully that will make me feel more at ease.  I do need to have at least one more colonoscopy to check all is okay, I guess.  I believe she is going to schedule it for the fall.

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Registered
11/05/2017 1:47 am  

I went in for my colonoscopy today, and thought the experience may help to set you more at ease.

Bowel prep was easy-peasy. Seriously. I'd hate to go through it without a stoma! The doc had me do the prep in two stages, half the day before at 6 pm, and then the other half at 6 am. I had no cramping or nausea with this method. The enema was the worst part as my poor backside is a bit out of practice at passing stuff. Even that was not horrible.

I went to same day surgery for the procedure as the doc (who was amazing but that's another story) knew how anxious I was and wanted the process to be as easy on me as possible. I have had nothing but great experience with our local hospital, and was not let down this time either. Nurses were fantastic, and patient with my anxiety. So, got and IV and blood work drawn, doc came in to see how I was and make sure I didn't have any questions or concerns, then the anesthesiologist came in to discuss any issues regarding the anesthesia. After that they rolled me into the room for the procedure, the nurse introduced me to everyone, and they were all super friendly and put me at ease. Then the anesthesiologist went to work.  

Next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery room about 40 mins later. There was no pain, but there was a little rectal bleeding... which is a big portion of the reason that I had the procedure in the first place. The bleeding was nothing worse than what I had experienced before the procedure. As for the stoma, he was completely happy. There was no pain, no damage, no bleeding, and no retraction (if he's upset he sinks way below the skin).

Anyway, it all went very smoothly and easily, and I was really anxious about nothing (which I knew but irrational fears are irrational). Hope this helps!

ReplyQuote
Allison
(@allison)
Registered
11/05/2017 10:04 am  

It does help.  Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
11/05/2017 10:20 am  

Thanks for sharing that, Kae!

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
11/05/2017 11:26 am  

Kae,

I am happy to hear that it went for you.  Sounds like you have great care. Its really good to have 'real world' information about all this. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register