Bag emptying ritual  

RSS

Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Registered
August 19, 2020 1:33 pm  

Hi,

If I could run my empty process and get any tips, kinda winging this and would appreciate any suggestions.

I kneel in front of toilet (with a small travel pillow for knees) because every other way I get splashed, even using paper in water.

I squeeze to get out every drop I can, those dangling shards at end of bag that won’t let go no matter how I shake them, can cause splats on hands, bag, or rim of toilet😬

I use my neatly folded 4 sheets of charmin to do initial wipe, usually neat 1st day of new bag, then more difficult to clean as bag ages.  Then I try to get the bag open by pressing in on 2 edges, sometimes easy, other times it doesn’t want to pop open, and then wipe inside best I can.

Then I drop in deodorant lubricant or baby oil and m9, use a flushable wipe to clean top again, and then roll it shut.  I fold that same flushable wipe a second time, and wipe off the fold area again, and then squeeze the lubricant around inside the bag.

this procedure lasts about 5 minutes (including hand washes). And sometimes I have to go back and do it again 45min later😖

Any suggestions?

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 19, 2020 2:59 pm  
Posted by: @rick

I kneel in front of toilet (with a small travel pillow for knees) because every other way I get splashed, even using paper in water.

I squeeze to get out every drop I can, those dangling shards at end of bag that won’t let go no matter how I shake them, can cause splats on hands, bag, or rim of toilet😬

What kind of consistency are we talking about? Liquid or super thick? 

Rather than squeeze, try to squeegee the output out as I demonstrate in the video here: https://www.veganostomy.ca/how-to-empty-ostomy-bag/

Then I try to get the bag open by pressing in on 2 edges, sometimes easy, other times it doesn’t want to pop open, and then wipe inside best I can.

This was a huge problem for me in older Hollister bags (and some other brands too) but it's no longer a problem since they released their chlorine-free bags. 

My suggestion is to crease the outlet like I show under the "Pro tip" in this article: https://www.veganostomy.ca/hollister-ceraplus-new-image-review/#About_the_Hollister_New_Image_Drainable_Pouch

Then I drop in deodorant lubricant or baby oil and m9, use a flushable wipe to clean top again, and then roll it shut.  I fold that same flushable wipe a second time, and wipe off the fold area again, and then squeeze the lubricant around inside the bag.

This sounds like too much work! LOL

What I do when using an in pouch deodorant is to first empty and clean my bag as I show in the first link, then while keeping the outlet open but pointed upwards, I squeeze/pour/add my deodorant product and then roll the tail of the outlet back while it's still pointing up. This ensures no spills and no need to clean it up again. 

Good luck!! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 19, 2020 3:55 pm  

Rick,

My routine is very similar to Eric (it must be all the VO videos I watched). 😀

The ease of opening the end is one thing I love about the Coloplast Sensura Mio bags. I’ve tried sampling others and found opening the ends of some other bags very frustrating. 

Best wishes to you. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
August 20, 2020 5:51 am  

I use a routine quite similar to Eric's (Many thanks Eric) the routine of sitting back on the toilet can be awkward and sometimes messy. Haven't had the joy of using public toilets since my operation and then covid!

Using something like a sauce bottle or a laboratory squeeze bottle with a bend spout to flush water into the bag is a technique I uses every day. With a two piece you have the option of pouring water from above or the invert and shake routine. Being a colostomate with thick and very sticky output that just loves to stick to the stoma rather than falling into the bag I can remove the bag flush it clean and also clean around the stoma without needing a bag change.

I find little round make up pads and cotton bud tips good for cleaning the stoma Also I sometime clean the flange plate, attachment ring and or spills on bag with facial (Fragrance free sensitive) wet wipes

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
August 21, 2020 2:03 am  

Before I start, I fill a 20oz water bottle (that I keep in the bathroom) with water.  I put the filled bottle on back of the toilet.  I kneel in front of the toilet on one knee, empty the bag, and do a quick wipe. Then I hold the outlet up, and pour water into the bag through the outlet until the bag is about 3/4 full with water.  I then fold the outlet over a coupe of times and slosh the water around.  Then I empty the water, wipe the outlet (which is normally spotless by this point), force out air, then close it up.  The whole process probably takes me one minute, if I'm on my game.  I even do this in public bathrooms.  I just carry a water bottle with me.  I really can't stand emptying without rinsing the bag afterward.  I just like the feeling of a clean, completely empty bag.  Works for me.  This is a great topic, as I love to hear how other people tackle this.  Thanks! 

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)

Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
August 21, 2020 2:05 am  

@chrisandbagpus

I always rinse the bag with water too.  It's so easy, and really gets everything out.  

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)

Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

ReplyQuote
Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Registered
August 22, 2020 2:08 pm  

Wonder if it would be helpful to mix in a few tablespoons of baby oil with water.  Maybe it would help to coat the bag to..just a thought.

ReplyQuote