Article on the History of Ostomies

11 Posts
5 Users
13 Likes
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Topic starter  

Someone mentioned that an article on this topic had been posted some time ago. I tried a search on the forums and didn't find it, but I did find this one from Hollister on a Google search: Ostomy Pouch History. All I can say is I'm really glad this happened to me now and not in the 18th century or earlier!

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

Dona, LK and john68 reacted
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Wow, that was awesome to read. Thank you so much for posting that article. I had never thought deeply about what was used before our modern times around pouching systems, for the likes of me, I can not imagine using "Moss" to absorb the output.  I am afraid it would have driven me into being a hermit. We are so very lucky to be able to have this surgery, surgeons, science, anesthetic, factories, and the equipment we get to use. I always say that knowledge is power and power is strength when used properly. We have so much to be truly thankful for, right down to flush toilets and toilet paper.  Knowing my parents used pages from the sears catalog on the farms they were raised on...I am truly counting my blessings. 

Linda

Dona and Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

We are incredibly fortunate to have the supplies we do! It makes me wonder what ostomy bags in 20 years will be like!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Dona, LK, Tony and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Topic starter  

I'm looking forward to the innovations. Smart pouches? Internal biocompatible pouches with artificial sphincters? A man can dream.

Tony

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

That is very funny Tony! I thought that was what we started out with before surgery...minus the artificial part. It would have to be self dumping, cleaning and flushing.

Linda

ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Topic starter  

Sounds pretty good to me. People would have thought radio communications magic back in the day, and hand-held computer tablets used to exist only on Star Trek. I say wait for it. :-D

Tony

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

It’s a bowel Jim butt not as we know it

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Topic starter  

Lol! Love it!

Tony

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

I finally found the article for which a link was posted on the VO forum some time ago. I had saved it on my personal computer. Have a look:

https://www.stomaatje.com/history.html

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LLNorth and Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Topic starter  

Thank you so much @dona for posting this. Boy, every time I read things like this I feel more grateful for my ostomy.

Tony

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hi Tony ( and everyone),

Re reading that today also made me feel more grateful than ever for my hard won stoma.

Everyone should be sure to check out the section : The History of Stoma Material.

There is a lot of interesting info on that entire link though... seems maybe translated from Dutch?

I would thank the forum member who first posted it, but can't remember who it was and couldn't find original post to VO.

Good factoid:

First stoma support group began in 1949!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote