Community Forums

Anyone having probl...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone having problems recently with Coloplast Sensura 2-piece ostomy pouch?

16 Posts
8 Users
12 Likes
 bkh
(@bkh)
Topic starter  

I was very happy with Coloplast's 2-piece Sensura pouch for many years.  But suddenly nearly every pouch started leaking after 3 days.  I first noticed this with pouches with manufacture date just before the start of the pandemic (so you can't blame it on that).  I wear my pouch horizontally and use the version of the pouch with the filter.  The leak forms somewhere along the seal of the filter (so it is not the filter opening, but where they fused the plastic together to keep the filter in place).  Newer dated pouches have the same issue.  I've also tried the version without the filter, but several of those have leaked at the seal between the ring and the plastic.  I've talked with Coloplast a couple of times, and they maintain that there has been no change in the way the pouches are made, but something had to have changed on their end, since I have not changed anything I do, and the difference in performance is like day and night.

(@dogtalkerer)

fill a bag with grape juice, if it leaks, send it back, else wear it.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

I haven't heard of anything specific to Coloplast bags lately, but if Coloplast says there's been no change and you are having problems with two different boxes with different dates, I'm not sure how many options you have. 

It sounds me to like a manufacturing defect (i.e. the machine that seals the plastic may not have done a good job).

Do you get those from one supplier? I'd contact them to see if anyone else has experienced the same. 

Let us know if you find out anything new, but I'll keep my eye out for posts about problems with Coloplast bags. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)

I wear the Sensura 2 piece stickie system, and I haven’t had any leak problems. I wear mine on a 45 degree angle. Please let us know if you figure out what the problem is. Good luck.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)

I have been noticing a smell after about 3 days.  No obvious leaks mind you.. but until recently I've often been able to go about 10 days on a single bag. Lately I've only been getting 3 or 4. I use the urostomy, or large capacity bags, but they have the same filter I believe. So ya, I've been noticing something different.

VeganOstomy and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@chris.. yes Chris, it sounds like the new plastic! Welcome to the club!! I tried adding extra M9 but that was too costly for me.  So like everyone else I too change my pouch every 3 to 4 days now. I could go 5 to 8 days before but changed at 5 just because I felt more confident.  How's you noise level??  I guess your improved super power now is your Sniffer working over time!!  Hang in there & be sure & call Hollister & ask a lot of questions. The squeaky wheel gets the grease & we all need them to understand that the change is affecting all if us not just a few "sensitive folks"!  Putting pressure on the company may ensure they produce there own plastics still good for the environment, but odour worthy!! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)

i use the sensura 2 piece and no problems so far , but in fairness im allowed 3 pouches a day because its easier for me to change the pouch rather than empty because of arthritis in my hands , the only problem I have with them is the bottom where you roll them up can differ widely is diameter making them more difficult to stay rolled up .

I'm in Ireland in Europe so our stocks are manufactured in Belgium I think .

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @chris

I have been noticing a smell after about 3 days.

Hey Chris, do you notice anything different about the plastic at all? Is it noisier than you remember or thinner?

Hollister recently changed the plastic used in their bags and a bunch of problems have been coming up because of it. 

It would be a shame if this is happening with all the brands. 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)

I have been using Sensura Mio for over 5 years, and I haven’t seen a change in the plastic they use. I haven’t noticed any difference in smell either. Chris, is it possible that there is another variable that is causing the smell?

Laurie

Just a semicolon

VeganOstomy and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@tigerlily...if your not aniifable just yet, it could be your supplier hasn't caught up with the noise yet. Though for your stake I hope you never have to deal with these issues, but if its Hollister, you will likely get there.

A little TIP ....when I add M9 to the pouch, once closed I rub the two sides together to spread the M9 all over the inside of the pouch right up to the top where the filter is even. I also empty more frequently then before.  I am finding my dog ignores me a little more when I do that.  It was Missy who confirmed I was having an odour issue on my third day with a clean pouch after I thought I had a leak but didn't,  then here at VO where it was confirmed also. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)

@dlkfiretruck Linda, the Sensura Mio line of products is by Coloplast. I have been using them for over 5 years now, and haven’t seen a change in the type of plastic used. I wouldn’t describe them as noisy. I have never tried Hollister products; the Coloplast works well for me. As for pouch lubricant, I always use olive oil, and that works just fine too.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)

Posted by: @veganostomy

I have been noticing a smell after about 3 days.

Hey Chris, do you notice anything different about the plastic at all? Is it noisier than you remember or thinner?

Hollister recently changed the plastic used in their bags and a bunch of problems have been coming up because of it. 

It would be a shame if this is happening with all the brands. 

Sorry for the length in time to respond. I'm really suffering mentally lately and haven't been able to do much.

I haven't noticed anything re the grade of plastic. Its really weird. I think there may be a possibility the smell is making it past the locking ring. I havnt had any leaks there, but when I change I notice the circumference has a fair bit of output on it. More than I've ever noticed before. I will tell you that there is definitely SOMETHING off because I've been using this same bag and wafer setup for atleast a couple years now without any change, but the smell is new. Wish I knew. I don't want to monkey around with new stuff. I'm too old and tired for that now. 

Anyway, it's interesting that everyone isn't experiencing it however. But I can't think of any possible thing different on my end.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)

@chris. Chris, it sounds like something has changed. Are there any changes to your body? Even small changes, like weight gain or loss might make a difference. It sounds like output is getting past your barrier, and accumulating under your wafer. Am I right? That would definitely produce a smell that would linger, especially if it clogs the filter. It’s hard to know what might be causing it from your description, but it might be worth a call to the manufacturer. I have found them very helpful whenever I have called. You have to be a bit of a sleuth sometimes, when you’re trying to figure out what’s going wrong, but maybe the reps at the manufacturer can help figure it out. Keep at it - there will be a solution. If I have output that gets below my wafer, I cut Qtips in half, wet the cotton end, and clean under the wafer. You can easily flush half Qtips down the toilet without fear of them getting stuck in the pipes. Just don’t use the plastic ones.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)

I haven't called Coloplast yet, but I will soon enough.  When I notice a smell and change my bag before a wafer change, the smell goes away. So it must be the bags, right?

Anyway, I looked at an older bag I have from when I was a smaller wafer size and the plastic and filter look and feel identical. 

No idea

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Sorry for the length in time to respond. I'm really suffering mentally lately and haven't been able to do much.

I'm sorry to hear that, Chris. I hope things get better for you. 

I haven't noticed anything re the grade of plastic. Its really weird. I think there may be a possibility the smell is making it past the locking ring. I havnt had any leaks there, but when I change I notice the circumference has a fair bit of output on it. More than I've ever noticed before.

It's interesting that you mention that. I had someone email me saying that they noticed the same thing with their HOLLISTER appliance recently. Considering they are made by two different companies with two very different flange designs, this is simply bizarre. 

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

@chris

I was sorry to hear of your mental struggles. It's been a hard time for everyone, because of the situation that covid has caused. I get it. I have been dealing with depression and anger myself - the reason I have not been on Veganostomy for a while. It is important that we seek a professional or family and friends during these times. For me, it has been my faith in a loving God that has been seeing me through it and the knowledge that I have a very supportive husband. 

Regarding the odors from your bag - that is a puzzler! I have to depend on my husband to let me know if there are any off smells as my olfactories have gone south. Since his nose is very sensitive, he would definitely let me know. Then again, I normally change my bag every 3-4 days. Definitely get in touch with Coloplast. Their agents have always been very helpful and may have some suggestions concerning the product. Good luck!

Stella

ReplyQuote