Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

advise with barrier sprays

irshandy
(@irshandy)
Registered
Topic starter  

hi there i usually apply coloplast to my skin and once dry the Brava base plate has no issue sticking to it.
however there is a shortage and my pharmacist gave me the Eakin equiavlent spray. this doesnt seem to let the brava base plate stick and i am only getting one day from a pouch before having to replace it.

anyone seen this behaviour before? any suggestions?

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hello, and welcome.

Barrier sprays tend to be similar, but it's entirely possible that some will work better than others, especially when you consider different variables at play.

What was your previous wear time?

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Welcome to the forum, This is just a random thought! You wouldn’t have been given adhesive remover spray by mistake. The tins look pretty alike. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
irshandy
(@irshandy)
Registered
Topic starter  

hi guys, thanks for the replies. definitely not remover, its barrier spray.

previously could expect 4 to 5 days before needing to replace.

the only variable that has changed is the spray, so wondering if its likely that different barrier sprays and baseplate adhesives would be incompatible when from differing companies. seems a bit unfair if they did act that way.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @irshandy

wondering if its likely that different barrier sprays and baseplate adhesives would be incompatible when from differing companies.

I remember a while back, a few companies (who sold barrier sprays) would suggest not using them with extended wear baseplates as it could shorten the wear time.

I don't think it would drastically affect the adhesive as you describe, but it could be entirely possible, especially when mixing brands, although, I've never tested this hypothesis.

If you are not applying the barrier product over stoma poweder (I.e. for the "crusting technique"), could you try going without it to see if that helps? If you beging to have longer wear time, it could be an incompatibility between the two brands/products. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Shark
(@shark)
Registered

@irshandy Do you use any moisturizing soap or body wash in the shower? I read that residual oils on the skin not well rinsed off can make adhesion of a wafer or bag less reliable,  even hair conditioner that rinses down.  Hope you find a solution.

ReplyQuote