a couple of post re...

a couple of post reversal questions  

RSS

zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
30/05/2018 7:38 am  

Hi all,
NotNot surewhere to post this, but a couple questions. First off, what do they do when they reverse an ileostomy? I think that's what happened to me back in the mid 90s. Until then I had to wear an ostomy bag but not anymore. Perhaps if I knew what they did, I would have a better idea what to google to answer my other questions. What a world! :)

ForFor themost part I've been living with it fine for the last 22 years or so. Although somewhat embarrassingly, I still occasionally have nights where I end up messing the bed. Not cool. lol Here's what's annoying though. My stomach growls a lot and it's really loud and I don't know why it does this. It didn't happen before I had my reversal surgery. It's super embarrassing! Most of the time no one says anything, but sometimes people will ask me about it and sometimes even offer me food. They're always surprised when I tell them that I just ate.

AnyAnyone han idea what is going on and if there might be a way to mitigate that? Brian

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
30/05/2018 4:04 pm  

Hi Brian,

There are a few types of reversals, depending on why you needed the surgery.

Sometimes, when someone needs bowel rest, an ileostomy is created so the colon doesn't have to pass anything through it. The idea is that when the colon (or rectum) is healed, the end of the ileostomy can be reattached to where it was before. 

A second option happens when the colon the is removed and the end of the ileostomy is attached near the rectum - often shaped in a way that it can hold stool. The most common name for this type of surgery is a j-pouch. 

As for your grumbling stomach, there can be many reasons why it's doing that and it doesn't always relate to being hungry. I honestly don't know what you can do to stop it since you'd have to know what's causing it in the first place! I'm not even sure if it's worth the trouble to talk to your doctor about it, but I'll let you decide :) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
kiya
 kiya
(@kiya)
Registered
30/05/2018 6:28 pm  

Hello,

I have had two ileostomy reversal operations.  After my first reversal operation, my tummy (small intestine rather than stomach) made lots of noise almost constantly but I thought that was because in that reversal operation, my entire large intestine as well as some part of my small intestine including the ileostomy itself were removed and my digestive system was learning to adjust to the new environment.  I did feel very embarrassed when that happened when I was with other people but I didn't try to do anything about it and the noise stopped naturally after about one year.  Three and a half years later, I had my second ileostomy operation on the other side of my tummy and only six months later (which was a few months ago), it had to be reversed as the ileostomy became inflamed and dysfunctional.  Since then, I have been having IBS like symptoms with lots of bloating.  My tummy also makes some noise although the noise is not as loud or constant as it was after my first reversal operation.  I have rather serious motility and evacuation disorders and for me, if I can pass and get things out of my system, I am not in pain and I am happy enough.  

You mentioned that you had your reversal operation 22 years ago.  Do you mean your stomach has been grumbling all these years?  Do you have other symptoms apart from the noise, such as pain and nausea?  If you are not only embarrassed but also concerned, it may be a good idea to see a doctor.  Of course, you should't worry unnecessarily.   

Good luck!

kiya

ReplyQuote
zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
31/05/2018 1:19 am  

Hey Kiya, Yes, I've been putting up with the noisy stomach for the 23 years since I had my reversal. I do think it's some how related to whatever's moving through my system, because I never noticed anything like that with the ileostomy. You can clearly hear it on recordings I made of some of my class lectures from college and other stuff. The only time I notice any pain along with it is when I get gas, but it's not terrible pain. I don't have any reference to preostomy life to compare that to though, so I don't know how "normal" that is. A couple years ago I figured out that if I know I need to pass gas it helps to lie on my stomach. Kind of reminds me of when I'd get a balooned pouch and have to do the burp the bag trick. (another thing I didn't know there was a name for until I found this site) :)

ReplyQuote
BetterBowels
(@betterbowels)
Registered
28/06/2018 2:37 pm  

Hey Brian,

If you remember where the reversal took place, you could always go to get medical records (or order them). I'm not sure why your stomach would be so noisy, but I've noticed that do some stomach massaging with my fingers helps when my tummy gets noisy. 

Also, what was your experience before the temporary ileostomy? Did you have incontinence at all? And after surgery, did it seem to improve pretty quickly? I'm wondering because I have been told a reversal is likely possible, but I'm scared of what my life will become afterward. I didn't have much trouble with incontinence when I had  a colon, but frequency and urgency were huge issues. I don't want to have to go to the bathroom 5 times a day again. I'm starting to like the convenience of having a bag. Any advice would be helpful. 

Darla

ReplyQuote
zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
05/07/2018 7:03 am  

Hey Darla, 

Interesting thought about getting medical records. I didn't know you could actually do that. I had my reversal as a very young teen though, so I don't know if they would go back that far. I do remember the name of the children's hospital  and the surgeon though. Wouldn't surprise me if the guy's retired by now. 

My situation was different than most. I was born three months premature, which caused my total blindness. I also had nechronizing enterocolitis (something I only learned a year ago). It was severe enough that they ended up doing the temp ileostomy. So I have no reference to life before the ileostomy to compare life now to. As for post op, it took me probably a good year and a half before I got control to a managable level especially at night. It was a very frustrating time for both me and my parents. At one point they did bring up the idea of going back and making the ileostomy permanent, and that made me feel like i had failed even though at the time I felt I'd done everything I could. The idea of going through another surgery just to end up back where I started scared the heck out of me. Had I been an adult and the Internet was around back then, I might have done it, because I would've realized that reversals don't always work. It's hard to say. Now though, I'm glad I did it, despite the fact that I still rarely have incontinence issues at night. I'd say now I have to make a bathroom run between 3-5 times a day, unless I eat something that really doesn't agree with me. 

I never thought of the bag as a convenience. If anything, it was the direct opposite for me. To be fair though, a lot of that is down to the fact that I was never taught to care for mine at all. Had I been, it would've made a world of difference. From most of what I remember, i only had to empty 2-3 times a day. Although, I may have done it more had I been able to do it myself. In the relevant topic here, I read about people who say they empty between 10-15 times a day, which to me, sounds really inconvenient. Then there's changing every 5-7 days, and the cost of the supplies. I imagine they're ridiculously expensive.  

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register