Community Forums

What I eat as a Vegan Ostomate (w/ video)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 31, 2018 10:27 am  

What an interesting study, @p14175! The only times I intentionally fast is when I'm sick or when I travel - this can be 24h or multiple days. 

I had to force myself into fasting when I was really sick because food hurt so much to eat, so I'm used to going 3, 4, 5 days without food. You kind of get used to not eating after the first day of feeling really hungry, but I don't encourage that type of fasting. 

When I do fast now, I can say that my output is dramatically decreased, which is why I find it handy for traveling. 

I never fasted for weight loss, so I can't comment on that.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
p14175
(@p14175)
Registered
January 1, 2019 2:48 pm  

Thanks for posting your experience.  I have never had trouble fasting short-term (16 hours) or long-term (days).  I am looking forward to starting fasting again in 2019.

When I was getting released from the hospital after surgery (8/24/18), the WOC nurse and the dietitian were both adamant about eating multiple times a day and eating a lot of carbs.  I have been paleo/keto/growing my own food for years, but I figured that at least for the first few  months I would follow their advice since they know more about the best way to heal after colon cancer surgery and getting used to having an illy.  To tell you the truth, I think they are so stuck on SAD (Standard American Diet) that they can't see the benefits of other ways of eating.   

-Linda

-Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 2, 2019 10:24 am  
Posted by: p14175

When I was getting released from the hospital after surgery (8/24/18), the WOC nurse and the dietitian were both adamant about eating multiple times a day and eating a lot of carbs. 

Eating multiple (small) meals a day helps to insure consistency with output. It also helps to prevent blockages and gas. 

Carbs in general help to thicken up loose output, but whole-food carbs that contain fiber also helps our gut microbes, which in turn helps us :)

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 2, 2019 11:04 am  

Totally agree with Erics post, eating small and often is a great way for an ostomate. and getting to know what foods thicken and make output loose solves a lot of problems.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register