Community Forums

What I eat as a Vegan Ostomate (w/ video)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 31, 2018 10:27 am  

What an interesting study, @p14175! The only times I intentionally fast is when I'm sick or when I travel - this can be 24h or multiple days. 

I had to force myself into fasting when I was really sick because food hurt so much to eat, so I'm used to going 3, 4, 5 days without food. You kind of get used to not eating after the first day of feeling really hungry, but I don't encourage that type of fasting. 

When I do fast now, I can say that my output is dramatically decreased, which is why I find it handy for traveling. 

I never fasted for weight loss, so I can't comment on that.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
p14175
(@p14175)
Registered
January 1, 2019 2:48 pm  

Thanks for posting your experience.  I have never had trouble fasting short-term (16 hours) or long-term (days).  I am looking forward to starting fasting again in 2019.

When I was getting released from the hospital after surgery (8/24/18), the WOC nurse and the dietitian were both adamant about eating multiple times a day and eating a lot of carbs.  I have been paleo/keto/growing my own food for years, but I figured that at least for the first few  months I would follow their advice since they know more about the best way to heal after colon cancer surgery and getting used to having an illy.  To tell you the truth, I think they are so stuck on SAD (Standard American Diet) that they can't see the benefits of other ways of eating.   

-Linda

-Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 2, 2019 10:24 am  
Posted by: p14175

When I was getting released from the hospital after surgery (8/24/18), the WOC nurse and the dietitian were both adamant about eating multiple times a day and eating a lot of carbs. 

Eating multiple (small) meals a day helps to insure consistency with output. It also helps to prevent blockages and gas. 

Carbs in general help to thicken up loose output, but whole-food carbs that contain fiber also helps our gut microbes, which in turn helps us :)

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 2, 2019 11:04 am  

Totally agree with Erics post, eating small and often is a great way for an ostomate. and getting to know what foods thicken and make output loose solves a lot of problems.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
May 7, 2019 9:09 pm  

Hi Eric, Loved the video and the write up! Are the recipes you mention on the site? I was unable to access them. I have a question for you. I would like to contribute a recipe or two that I have always enjoyed. However, I do not want to slant away from the Vegan theme. I respect that you are vegan very much and appreciate your kindness to animals in the matter. But, I would like to ask why vegans do not use milk from cows and goats along with butter and cream, cheese...you get the picture I am sure. I don't think this harms the animals in any way to be milking them, they kind of came with the udders. It confuses me when I want to share a recipe that I have thought of as vegan. I admit that I am "sort of" in "thought" vegan, but fail badly because I love fish. My guts are horribly sensitive to digesting red meats so I tend to avoid them. So, If I posted a recipe and put milk or butter down would this disqualify the recipe? I want to be respectful to you and what you are dong here. Also, how in the world do you get all the iron we need in a day?
Right now, due to malabsorption I am horridly anemic and just can not seem to change things no matter what. The anemia is being treated with Iron Infusions for now, but they are expensive at $131.50 an infusion with three teeny tiny bottles mixed with something else.My income of $1300.00 makes these difficult to afford. I would rather eat the iron then blast it thru my veins.
I love Tofu and fooled my hubby and kids into Tofu burgers one day but lost my recipe along the years but would love another great recipe like the one I had. How much Tofu is required in a day to get what we need in vitamins? It may just be my eyes, but I can not seem to find information on this anywhere...inexperience on the computer more likely.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Linda (L.K.)

Linda

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
May 7, 2019 9:15 pm  

I just succeeded in accessing the highlighted areas above. Thankyou...I took notes!

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 8, 2019 11:22 am  
Posted by: LK

Are the recipes you mention on the site? I was unable to access them. 

I haven't posted any recipes, mostly because I don't follow recipes when I cook :) I love to improvise and see what happens.  

I would like to contribute a recipe or two that I have always enjoyed. However, I do not want to slant away from the Vegan theme. So, If I posted a recipe and put milk or butter down would this disqualify the recipe? I want to be respectful to you and what you are dong here.

You're free to post recipes here, but please keep it plant-based (there are substitutes for pretty much any ingredient, so "veganize" a recipe if you like): https://www.veganostomy.ca/community/food-and-recipes/

Also, how in the world do you get all the iron we need in a day?

I actually recovered from anemia by just eating more healthy meals and using a few tricks to increase absorption. I share a few of these tricks in this article: https://www.veganostomy.ca/enhancing-nutrient-absorption-tips/

I love Tofu and fooled my hubby and kids into Tofu burgers one day but lost my recipe along the years but would love another great recipe like the one I had. How much Tofu is required in a day to get what we need in vitamins? 

I actually don't eat a lot of tofu and never make my burgers with tofu! We love bean burgers here

I tend to make variations of this burger and my family loves them! https://happyherbivore.com/2011/01/hotelroom-burgers/

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
May 8, 2019 11:55 am  

I might add, my Dr. told me to drink 2 oz. of fluids per pound we weight.  I  tried/trying deeply-- but feel like my teeth r floating !!!!!!!!! That is a lot of fluids !! 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 8, 2019 12:03 pm  
Posted by: Marcie

I might add, my Dr. told me to drink 2 oz. of fluids per pound we weight.  I  tried/trying deeply-- but feel like my teeth r floating !!!!!!!!! That is a lot of fluids !! 

Yikes, I don't think that's right - a person weighing 150lbs can't drink 350oz (10 liters!!!) of fluids! They'd probably end up with a major electrolyte imbalance before they even got close. 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
May 8, 2019 3:30 pm  

A recipe is a list of ingredients to me, adding what I feel like that day. I recently thru together  smashed chickpeas, finely chopped onion, salt and pepper, a sprinkle of garlic powder and a dab of Dijon mustard and some mayo. Put it in a pita pocket, added some slices of avocado and thin slices of chopped asparagus. Was it ever good. I was not impressed with how the pita "did not" stay together,  and because bread causes me so much gas, I use crackers now. I just loved the addition of the asparagus, it gave it that crisp green taste. I have served it to friends who eat differently and they loved it. Because I had cooked some salmon up I added some homemade tartar sauce, chopped onion to that and put that on the crackers on top of the beans. Pickles are always a must to me. So good. I am going to try your bean burger recipe. I have never had a bean burger but I love all kinds of beans. You cook the same way I do Eric. This way you can give and take however you like it. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register