Community Forums

Stoma shape  

RSS

Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Registered
September 26, 2018 1:51 pm  

As you know I have recently changed from a colonostomy to an ileostomy. I have noticed that the shape of both stomas made by my surgeon are nearly identical. They are an inch and a half in diameter and stick up above my skin approximately 1/16 of an inch. This works fine on the colonostomy but with the ileostomy my output seems to collect around the stoma and since it is more acid it eats away at the wafer and the adaptec ring. Other pictures I have seen of ileostomy stoma show them sticking out as much as an inch to an inch and a half and I'm wondering if a my surgeon messed up and did not create the stoma correctly. Does anyone have any comments on this and have you had any experience with something similar I would appreciate hearing about it thank you

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
September 26, 2018 2:20 pm  

What I have read the desired stoma is One inch wide and one inch long . Luckily mine is like this .

Having a flush stoma creates problems. 

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
September 26, 2018 2:39 pm  

Hi Barbara, Many members here seem to be getting past the flush stoma by using a convex wafer. I do know that using a one piece pouch is less likely to hold output from traveling down than a 2 piece. The output from the ileostomy should be a lot more liquid, may be a new learning curve diet wise from the colostomy.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 26, 2018 2:46 pm  

John is correct - flush stomas do much better with convex appliances because they help to push the stoma out a bit. Have you tried any?

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Registered
September 26, 2018 3:17 pm  

That's what I thought.  Seeing my surgeon Tuesday and we will have a chat about it.  Wanted to have my ducks in a row first.  Thank you

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Registered
September 26, 2018 3:19 pm  

I have been trying a Hollister convex for a day or so. It is a bit better. 

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
September 26, 2018 3:49 pm  

Hi Barabra,

I also use the Hollister light convex for my sometimes flush stoma. I use a barrier ring with it too which increases the convexity a bit.

Works great.

Also, yours is still new and might be going through some changes at this time. At first mine was fine, then it retracted,..(got leaks) then it was kind of in and out, now it seems to be more stable and out a bit. So you might also bring this up with your doctor.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Registered
September 26, 2018 5:04 pm  

I hadn't thought of that.  It has been about 7 weeks since surgery.  Of may still be changing. 

ReplyQuote
Malsgal86
(@malsgal86)
Registered
September 26, 2018 5:35 pm  

My ileostomy is very small and almost flush with my skin

my new colorectal surgeon commented on how tiny it was(she is not the one who ceated it)

i had all kinds of trouble with leaks since “Gertie” came to be

when i was in the hospital in july for my last surgery, i was paid a visit from a ostomy nurse and she brought me different bags that are more convex than what i had been using

it has made a WORLD of difference...not that i haven’t had a leak or two since switching, but i was having to change the other type up to four times a day due to leaks(one day i had to change it 12 times)

i now use convatec two piece with a brava barrier ring...i like these much better than the coloplast one piece i used for over a year

God when you choose to leave mountains unmovable oh give me the strength to sing it is well with my soul

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register