Clear all

Stoma Length

13 Posts
7 Users
6 Likes
(@frank)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what the average stoma length is.  My partner has an ileostomy and the stoma has recently lengthened by an inch and a half over a period of two weeks.  It’s about 2 inches in length now.  I’m concerned it has prolapsed.  Thoughts?

Cheers,

Frank

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hi Frank, 

Welcome to the forums. 

Does your partner's stoma shrink to the previous size and lengthen at times or is it always a constant length?

How long has it been since surgery? 

Sounds like it could be prolapsing, but only a stoma nurse would be able to tell you for sure. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@frank)
Topic starter  

Hi,

The surgery was in December 2017.  The stoma retracts when my partner is in a reclined position and varies in length at times.  He has put on 40 lbs since being home (he needed to as he lost 80 lbs).  

Since the ET nurse only works 1 day a week in our area we’ve been able to see her once, but will request a visit as soon as possible.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
(@bubbles)

Posted by: Frank

Hi,

The surgery was in December 2017.  The stoma retracts when my partner is in a reclined position and varies in length at times.  He has put on 40 lbs since being home (he needed to as he lost 80 lbs).  

Since the ET nurse only works 1 day a week in our area we’ve been able to see her once, but will request a visit as soon as possible.

Cheers!

Sounds like it could be a hernia at the Stoma site since it retracts when laying back. The hernia could be putting pressure forcing the bowels to push out . An ultra sound done standing up might be able to see it .

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Best of luck when he see's the stoma nurse. The weight gain could have something to do with the changes, but it's best for the nurse to have a look. The stoma may change again once he loses weight again, but changes to the stoma caused by weight tend to be gradual and over many months - it wouldn't just show up in a matter of days or weeks. 

Bubbles mentioned the possibility of a hernia being present - this may be something to consider as well, but a stoma nurse would be able to know. 

ReplyQuote
(@frank)
Topic starter  

Thank you for all the information; it’s so reassuring to know that you and the ostomate community are there to help.  Much gratitude!

Frank

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Frank ( Hi! and welcome),

Seeing a stoma nurse when you can get to one is a great idea. There is a lot of variability among us as to how are stomas are situated, our own bodies, ages, diet etc. This can be confusing and challenging. But, I think it mostly gets sorted out eventually. Kind of play the long game!

You probably know that your partner's stoma will change a bit over time especially I think in the first year after his surgery as things  continue to heal and shift. Also weight gain will change the shape of the belly. I think its all part of the road to recovery and at least you are headed in the right direction.

Do get it checked out by a pro.  just to make sure its nothing more serious . And keep asking questions.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Frank, Dona has a really good point about the changes that happen. yer partner has gained weight after being ill and his tummy will be very different and the stoma too. But as Eric says it shouldn't at the same time have that effect! Peace of mind and some answers are best coming from medical staff.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
(@frank)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone!

Just a quick update. My partner’s stoma has prolapsed a bit owing to the weight (which was much needed) and the stoma nurse assured us everything is okay and to just keep monitoring the length to ensure it doesn’t become too long.  Thanks again for all the replies and support!  It’s reassuring there are people out there that are willing to share their knowledge and experiences.  Cheers!

VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Hi Frank, that is what we are for.  Your partner in fact, is an example for some others that may or are/ come across this issue.  Thanks for being there and here.  I/we welcome everything you can offer with this.   Brings comfort as you know right?  some have different problems and need a healthy friendship to apply to/with.  The stoma ward is now is open of different styles!! This can happen to anyone.  

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hi Frank...your welcome here anytime! Do not be shy.  I have been following you and  your partners issues here.  I was about to ask what could cause  my stoma to increase in size,  from one inch steady, to about two inches or so.  Having no pain or any other symptom,  I thought I would wait and see what was said to you, and what the problem turned out to be, and I am glad I did.  Mine seems to be due to the weight loss due to malnutrition from  malbsorption.  So, I am glad your partners situation seems to have been identified.  Weight gin is a fairly good sign that things are stabilizing in his body and he may be feeling healthier again.  All the best to you both!  Thank you for bringing this topic up when you did.

Linda

Dona reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Thanks for the update, Frank. I hope that your partner continues to do well and I'm glad that a stoma nurse was able to reassure you both that things are fine. 

Dona reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Thanks for the update. Its good to know you are both doing better. 

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote