Notifications
Clear all

National Health Service (NHS)  

RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 8, 2018 5:37 am  

Hi all, The above term a lot of you may not be familiar with, its the name for our hospital services here in the UK and every thing medical related. This week is celebrated its 70th Birthday. The concept its brilliant "Care from the cradle to the Grave" and all for free. yes a certain amount of tax is paid but on the scale of it not much. Any treatment of any sort its "No Charge" and this includes tablets and any health aids afterwards. yes this means that my ostomy supplies are free! It all sounds so good don,t it and this post is not meant to offend the ostomates here who pay for treatment. But and its a big but our system is in crisis!! its been a victim of its own success and abuse! Now 70 years later no one remembers having to pay and how hard it was before. when the staff are working so hard and can,t get round every patient as quickly as they would like they (the staff) are coming under criticism and even abuse! I owe my life to the NHS and my wife also, I owe my quality of life as well. So Happy Birthday NHS and thank you. When we avail of a service and help their is always some body working very hard behind the scene! A lot like Eric! :-) 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Dona liked
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
July 8, 2018 11:32 am  

Yes, happy birthday to NHS,  It was put in place as part of GB's reconstruction after WW2 right? It is a great model of health access care for all. 

I am lucky enough to receive the benefits of Medicare now, and I have good supplemental insurance. However. If I did not I would have been devastated by my illness and all the treatments that let up to surgery.

And as John said, the considerable and ongoing expense of ostomy supplies is a huge burden on some.  And we will all have one of the granddaddies of pre existing conditions for the rest of our lives.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
July 8, 2018 11:22 pm  

I would like to make a point. John68 is correct. We have to recognize the benefits of living in our time and place .

Ten years after my liver transplant , I looked up the phone number of my doctor. He had moved up and on to head a department in a Philadelphia hospital. When I told his secretary why I was reaching out to him, she gave me his home number. I called him and said "thank you". I asked if he recalled me. He did and we reminisced a few minutes. Before he said goodbye , he thanked me for calling. He said that I was the first patient in his long career to call him ten years later. He said that he will always treasure this moment .

My point is that doctors and hospitals are made up of humans. They need to feel gratitude for the efforts that they expend towards us. It is more than a paycheck for them. 

Say THANK YOU.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 9, 2018 12:02 am  

Canada doesn't have as good of a healthcare system when it comes to ostomies, but we are way, way better than the US system for just about everything from surgeries to how supplies are obtained. 

It would be an absolute shame to lose something like the NHS, so even as patients, we can do our best not to abuse the system (i.e. hoard supplies you'll never use). Abuse of such a "free" system caused a lot of problems in Australia, where ostomy supplies are free (I think a $10 fee per year is needed). I rely on mostly private insurance for my ostomy supplies and can get a very generous amount of supplies per year, but I know that taking too much advantage of it can cause a ripple effect that would harm others. 

Hold onto the NHS and similar healthcare systems as they truly are a gift to be grateful for! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote