Clear all

Sciatic nerve trouble added to Colostomy

11 Posts
6 Users
6 Likes
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

My apologies for not being here a lot in the past few weeks, an old trouble came back to haunt me, and it was painful.

Over 10 years ago, I had a sciatic nerve trouble which is very painful, and after that I started going to Chiropractor on a regular basis. I would go to him, he would do what Chiropractors do, pull, push, band, and when he was done, it felt good for around 24 hours, then back to pain and agony. On the 8th week I came to him and after doing what he always did, he said to me (he was an honest guy) he does not mind if I want to keep coming, but in reality he can not do more then what he does, and if I want his recommendation, it would be for me to forget shoes, and start walking barefoot, but not just at home - everywhere. I thanked him and went home to check the subject on the internet, and found a whole lot of people made it their life style to walk barefoot, ignore the looks others gave them, the whispering behind their back, the remarks others made, and if a store throws you out, you give your business to another store which except you with shoes or with out.

I decided to try it, was not easy, sometime humiliating, but 8 weeks later all my pain went away, I was walking, running, shoveling snow in winter, NO trouble.

July 2017, after my surgery, and getting my new partner to life, my STOMA, all my Doctors who knew I walk barefoot (I went to all my check ups - barefoot) said I should stop that for all sort of silly ideas which the American public excepts - that barefeet are for home, pool, seashore, and maybe the park, but nowhere else. For some strange reason I listened to those Doctors, and started wearing shoes stupid me. Well this past February after helping my son clear the cars from snow, it all started again, and the pain over that night made me want to shoot myself, I knew what it was, and why it is back - The darn SHOES.

I am now in physical therapy, and back to walking barefoot, and all the Doctors, and those who whisper behind my back, can kiss my "tuchess". I wear shoes to work, but that's it.

Once over the age of 55, think about your feet, legs and back, those take all the torture possible from walking, running, jumping, and more, and will eventually give you trouble.

It is not easy, but it is possible.

Dan

Marcie and LLNorth reacted
(@dogtalkerer)

well Dan, the biggest mistake that is constantly being made is that people expect doctors to be experts in everything.  that is unbelievably unrealistic.

I go bare foot a lot in summer.  question is? does your trouble come from toes too close together or is it from stiff soled shoes?   I've cut my feet on sharp stones, broken sticks.   I've stubbed my toes on rocks,roots and tiny stumps.   what about wearing a thin rubber soled swimming shoe?  there is running shoes out there that claim to be the same as running barefoot but with some protection.  they appear to be neoprene socks with a dipped rubber sole for wear protection.  

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

Hi  dogtalkerer,

My problem is more then one thing, it is the steel toe shoes I have to wear to work, it is my lowest vertebra in my spine which is bent, and at times, with the wrong move, hits the scitaic nerve, and starts the pain. I went for 4 or 5 years barefoot, not going on hikes, or working in the yard, but what needs to be done like bank, shopping, Etc, Etc, and I found out that while going barefoot your attention is focused on where do you put your foot, and what is in front of you, so I never really had any mishaps, and never hurt my feet. I love the feel of going barefoot, and not looking for any kind of shoes. I am now starting again getting my soles used to going barefoot, and don't give a hoot about what people say.

Give it a few more weeks and I would be the same as before my surgery - No pain, No trouble, and loving the feel of the ground I walk on.

Dan

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi dogtalkerer, 

I've seen those "shoes" that you pictured and have seen someone in our community wearing them. He says they are very comfortable. 

Stella

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Dan, I actually spent a good part of at least one year barefoot for 90% of the time (even when driving), and I loved it. I only "gave it up" because of idiots who keep breaking glass pretty much everywhere I walked, but I would do it again if I felt the need to. 

Funny enough, I was at a Crohn's and Colitis walk one year and noticed a few guys doing the walk barefoot - I doubt many others noticed, but since I had done it myself, I was quick to spot it. 

I haven't personally tried any of the "barefoot" footwear, like those Vibram's posted above, but I'd love to try them at some point. 

I wish you the best of luck this time around! I wouldn't worry at all what other people think - if it helps you and you are comfortable with it, do it! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

Hi Eric,

I really never looked at any of those shoes, I never got hurt by anything including glass, when walking on glass remember the small pieces will not harm you, they are not standing on edge, the big one's you would see a mile away, being aware of where you put your foot, before it hits the ground. And... lift your feet up, do not drag it on the floor, as that will get you injured.

If you recall at one time I messaged you regarding a problem with the private messages, and told you I also once ran a web sight, it was about walking barefoot, and was called "barefootny.com", hope you seen it. After my surgery, not being able to walk that way, I gave it up.

Dan

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: danbh

when walking on glass remember the small pieces will not harm you, they are not standing on edge, the big one's you would see a mile away, being aware of where you put your foot, before it hits the ground. And... lift your feet up, do not drag it on the floor, as that will get you injured.

After having my shoes punctured a few times, I don't trust my eyes to see glass when I'm barefoot! ???

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

As newly weds, my hubby and I took and passed a Reflexology course together. He was too ticklish to enjoy a good foot rub, but treated me to one every night for 30 years! It works deeper and more direct on the pressure points then bare foot. You can pick up some disgusting bugs, more so in public then home.  This would be another way to not, go in public bare foot.

Linda

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

As I said in my original post above, I have walked this way for 4 years before my surgery, and never ever injured my feet, or had any other problem, my back pain went away, and the sciatic nerve kept quite, I am not married so I do not have anyone to give me a foot massage, which may help the feet, but not the rest of the leg, and most important "the back", the spine.

I like walking this way, it helped me till my surgery, and I blame it mostly on shoes.

I am not going to fix what works, and for me, it's walking with out shoes, and by the way, Bacteria does not grow in sun light, it needs the dark sweaty shoe to grow.

Dan

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Dan, I agree with you. Bare foot is best.  In Reflexology we learned that the Sciatica runs down the legs to the bottom of the feet and affect everything above it. Barefoot it is like massaging the whole body, you can get an even deeper massage thru Reflexology.  You just don't do just the feet. We were trained to work right up the legs. Glands, connective tissues, and all sorts of things on the way.  I could always sleep like a log after.  I contribute so much to reflexology and going barefoot. A good massage of the hands can do similar to a foot massage.  You hit the pressure points and work on them, it is not always comfy, but effective.  Now, I do my own (widowed). Bare foot and baseball on the gravel school yard, weeding the garden, stacking wood, kids don't know what there missing.  I hope you stay as well as you aim to be.  Barefoot never does anything for my ankylosing  spondylitis with nerve rot damage, but I hope your back pain goes away for you. Out of all the "pains" I have had, I would truly say back pain is the worst. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Thanks for that information !!  I am a bare footed person all  my life-- When I lived in Fl. near the beach-- I even went grocery shopping bare footed.  Most did--down there--I know the back pain and pleased that your doing much netter!! After my Nellie arrived, I forgot the high heels, as my balance was off-When I do wear my shoes-- they are the ballerina slippers. Other than that?  Bare footing it-- as always--I love the freedom!! Now? I love it for possible back issues.. I  will pass on your experance on...……. Your Dr. has it right on!! 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote