Community Forums

Levator Syndrome  

RSS

LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
January 18, 2020 1:12 pm  

Has anyone experienced this? My surgery was in the spring of 2018 (my husband and my stoma have the same birthday ....)  The surgeon has told me my pelvic floor muscles have been stretched. The stress is causing discomfort (not bad). She is referring me to a physical therapist, advised warm baths and tylenol. Does this become a chronic thing, do you know? Sitting seems to aggravate it.

I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 19, 2020 3:23 am  

Hi LL, I only know a little about this. I believe it can affect any one who has had any sort of trauma down below including child birth. I used to get spasms in the first year after my surgery and they seemed to pass through time. I think the route you are going is going to help. That’s my own opinion hopefully there will be a solution 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
January 19, 2020 8:44 pm  

LL....Hi there! I am not sure of the name. The surgeries are so  deep within us that it is bound to do damage of some kind or another. I have Interstitial Cyctitis of the bladder  before this surgery.  

I tend to get a fair deal of what I called whicked rectal spams that are very  painful but no one ever put a name  to it and when they did  it was blamed on the bladder disease. Sorry, I can't loose the bold print. 

It seems to  me  this or something similar was discussed here some time  ago. I'll see if I can find it...should be interesting! I'm  sorry you  have to deal with this. Not fun! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
January 19, 2020 9:25 pm  

HI again...Wonder of all wonders!  LL, I found what I was talking about above and will try and resurrect it so you can read the forum.  It was under the heading of surgery and pelvic floor issues were being discussed.  I hope it is helpful to you.  All the best as you deal  with this issue. 

I found it under Forums, and then Surgery.  It is the Forum on "Rectal stump removal questions."

Linda

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
January 25, 2020 4:43 pm  

so this is along the lines of pelvic floor dysfunction?  this sounds like symptoms I have that have came and gone since surgery 11yrs old.  but lately they have bothered me more.  I realized due to crappy weather I haven't been cross county skiing in a awhile as well.  so the other night I went out and skied pretty hard for 1.5hrs, 12kilometers.  that night I slept well without a symptom, next day things were a lot less and hardly noticeable.   I will ski a lot next week and then see if its coincidence or not.

I'm guessing your PT gave you a bunch of exercises to do? do you do them?

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
January 25, 2020 5:10 pm  

what I found interesting, there were times where I had some discomfort and went mountain biking.     I assumed it was going to be really uncomfortable sitting on that little narrow seat.   but surprisingly I never found that to be true, or maybe it was for a short time.  but never discomfort after an hours ride.    sitting on a hard chair can be rather uncomfortable in comparison.

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
January 25, 2020 7:36 pm  

So, I had this same thing last May, and went to pt and and did the exercises,and ended up with a fracture in my sacrum and then some scary lab results at my checkup. Honestly, I forgot about the exercises during the time my sacrum was healing and now the area of the surgical site is rather painful again. Cannot get in to the physical therapist for a couple more weeks and I will follow her directions but am going to be very cautious about anything that has to do with the lower back. This is annoying but as I told the surgeon it is nothing, and I am thankful if this is all it is.

I don’t think I am quite all right yet in dealing with all this, but I will get there.

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
January 29, 2020 12:26 pm  

did the sacrum fracture from the PT exercises?  they were thinking of removing my tail bone.

i find just walking around on my tip toes(balls of my feet) does good.  try it at home,bare foot.  its not easy at first,  but now I can walk around for quite some time.  this practice is helpful in double pole skiing(balance).

do these exercises look familiar?

https://www.healthline.com/health/levator-ani-syndrome#treatment

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
January 29, 2020 12:53 pm  

Not sure what caused the fracture,  but I suspect that doing the “wide-knee child sit” pose successfully  is what did it. I am pretty flexible and didn’t take into account 1) possible damage to the bones from radiation and 2) age-related thinning of the bones. The sacrum area still  does not feel great but it is much better. Thank you for the link with the exercises; they do look familiar with the exception of the “happy baby” which I am going to try because it looks fun! The discomfort from the Levator is much better in the last few days - it does not limit me; I am able to move around and get things done. And i am going to be very careful to not pull/stress the lower back. Thanks, Dogtalkerer.

ps - also, I am wearing Birkenstock sandals around - they seem to force my weight onto the balls of my feet as I walk, with each lift, similar to your description of walking on your toes. This seems to be helping - all these little things can make a difference when added up, for sure.

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
February 18, 2020 3:11 pm  

well, exercise, skiing snowshoeing seems to help.  my recent problems could be related to a very minor groin pull, but hard to say.   also hard to say if exercise did help or the annoyance went away on its own?    it has always came and gone since surgery.  but in the same time has become more noticeable in the last year.   not much help........

LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register